AMCAS Work and Activities Section Prospective Hours Recommendation from UMich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatsUpDoc824

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found something interesting from the University of Michigan's website about ongoing hours that I wanted to run by the forum.

"If you want to designate future hours on a given experience, create two separate date ranges within that activity. That way we will be able to tell how many hours you have already completed and what your projected hours are for the future."

Do you think I should do that for all my prospective experiences?

@LizzyM @gyngyn @Goro As staff, is this something you'd prefer to see?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I found something interesting from the University of Michigan's website about ongoing hours that I wanted to run by the forum.

"If you want to designate future hours on a given experience, create two separate date ranges within that activity. That way we will be able to tell how many hours you have already completed and what your projected hours are for the future."

Do you think I should do that for all my prospective experiences?
Sure, but that only works for experiences that have already begun. Try creating a date range that begins in the future and see what happens! :cool:

Sure, but that only works for experiences that have already begun. Try creating a date range that begins in the future and see what happens! :cool:
You set the second date range for May 2021 - x 2022. It works

Members don't see this ad :)
You set the second date range for May 2021 - x 2022. It works
Yes, but you can't set it for June 2021-onward. May hours aren't projected, at least not in my book, since we cannot submit before 5/27.

Basically, all I'm saying is that you can accomplish the exact same thing by not creating a separate date range (unless there is a gap you want to identify) and just break out the projected hours in the description, since you only get one description box no matter how many date ranges you have (e.g., the date range could also be January 2019-May 2022, with the description explaining that XX hours are projected from June 2021-May 2022).

Yes, but you can't set it for June 2021-onward. May hours aren't projected, at least not in my book, since we cannot submit before 5/27.

Basically, all I'm saying is that you can accomplish the exact same thing by not creating a separate date range (unless there is a gap you want to identify) and just break out the projected hours in the description, since you only get one description box no matter how many date ranges you have (e.g., the date range could also be January 2019-May 2022, with the description explaining that XX hours are projected from June 2021-May 2022).
I do not believe it's worth writing it out in the description considering the short character count. I think medical schools will understand If you have an experience that ends in May 2021 and then restarts in May 2021. If you don't submit by June, then you could use June 2021 - x 2022

I do not believe it's worth writing it out in the description considering the short character count. I think medical schools will understand If you have an experience that ends in May 2021 and then restarts in May 2021. If you don't submit by June, then you could use June 2021 - x 2022
True, but I wanted to make clear that my projected hours were from August 2021, not May, or June, or July. YMMV, but I'm pretty sure that, in general, no one applying is more long winded than I am, and I found a way to squeeze the 46 characters into my 700 character description in order to do it my way. :)

True, but I wanted to make clear that my projected hours were from August 2021, not May, or June, or July. YMMV, but I'm pretty sure that, in general, no one applying is more long winded than I am, and I found a way to squeeze the 46 characters into my 700 character description in order to do it my way. :)
Yea I see how it is different in your case.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea I see how it is different in your case.
I really do think it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. As long as we are clear, I can't adcoms really caring one way or the other. If it really did matter, AMCAS could fix it by allowing us to have a time period that begins in the future.