Amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conquistador

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AAMC website states that the AMCAS system will be available may 1st for applicants of the 2005 academic year. I was expecting to do this in june, i have nothing ready quite yet. Do you need LOR's & personal statement for the AMCAS app, or are these submitted with secondaries?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Conquistador said:
The AAMC website states that the AMCAS system will be available may 1st for applicants of the 2005 academic year. I was expecting to do this in june, i have nothing ready quite yet. Do you need LOR's & personal statement for the AMCAS app, or are these submitted with secondaries?
Thanks

The personal statement is included in the AMCAS application. You must send your transcripts (of any college classes you have ever taken) to AMCAS. Letters of recommendation are sent later in the process after you have submitted your AMCAS application. Usually letters of recommendation are requested when you get your secondaries.

Haha, ready by May 1st? Don't bet your med school acceptance on it. AMCAS is always behind -- much to your advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
A comment by exmike

Haha, ready by May 1st? Don't bet your med school acceptance on it. AMCAS is always behind -- much to your advantage.

ditto :D

but do try and apply as early as possible!

exmike said:
gotta love the lag time baby!!

What else is requested in the secondaries?

Secondaries depend on the school. It can be anywhere from an application fee and LOR's to 10 essays, LOR's, an application fee, and additional biographical info (such as if you have any legacies at that school, your SAT scores, any traffic tickets or convictions you might have etc). None of the schools I applied to asked for a copy of your transcripts until after you have been accepted, but I suppose they might ask for that too (especially if you are interviewing in the Spring semester so they can see how you did in the Fall semester). It depends entirely on the school.

The May 1st date is so they can open and be ready for you to to start sending in your transcripts. That is all they will be taking at that point in time.

Some secondaries only ask for you name address and $100. Then they send you a rejection 1 week later. :rolleyes:

The ones that ask for more essay question answers at least make you feel like you are getting more for your money.

A BIG TIP FOR YOU ALL- Make sure you have a current email address and make sure it works and make sure you don't let it get full and make sure you CHECK IT FREQUENTLY.

A lot of schools use email as the only way they contact you. Some email companies send things from schools into the bulk box. If you don't check it often it will be deleted and you will never know you got it.

Oh and some emails from schools can come in with weird sender names. My secondary request from UIC came into my bulk folder with a weird name. I almsot deleted it without reading because I thought it was junk mail.

What about pictures?!? Don't forget the pictures! Some schools require 1 recent passport-style photo, and some require 2!