Amcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

gnin said:
I have an unusual situation. I'm a non-traditional applicant. In college, I voluntarily took a leave of absence midway though one term because of a family issue. I unofficially dropped the classes I was in fairly early in the term. However, I only submitted my housing cancellation form to my college's administration toward the end of the term, so I could use my room up until near the end of the term. The registrar thus listed this on my transcript as "spring term 1999, leave of absence, granted may 2, 1999," but didn't record any of the courses I was enrolled in that term. There's nothing I can due to change this on my record.

The AMCAS seems to want you to record all classes you were ever enrolled in (even if they aren't listed on your transcript) as courses from which you withdrew. But since this was several years ago, and as I was only really enrolled for a few weeks of that term, I can't even remember the exact names of the classes I was in, and I have no official documentation to let me know exactly what classes they were (yes, I have a rather poor memory). Also, having these withdrawals listed probably wouldn't look very good on my AMCAS record, since I already have three course withdrawals listed from other college terms. Is it reasonable to merely leave these courses off the AMCAS application, given these circumstances? Would I get in trouble if I did so?

I don't think you have to list them if they're not on your record. No worries.

I think I would have to agree with Moosepilot and say that since it is not on your record, you should just act like it never happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have advice?

yeah. if there's no official documentation about whether u were in a class... u can't find it, then how will aamc? just list what's on the transcript. that's the safe bet.

gnin said:
Anyone else have advice?

While I agree that you probably don't have to worry about it...did you try to contact AMCAS?

I wouldn't think this is a busy time for them so you might be able to get someone on the phone for a quick answer.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding more "W's":

I wouldn't worry about anything academic from that long ago.

I too am a non-traditional who finished what was later termed a "trainwreck" of an UG career w/ at least 15 W's and a 2.6 GPA.

After completing grad school w/ excellent grades my earlier coursework was not focused upon and I received multiple acceptances.

Good luck!