Ameloblasts and Evolution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why would it be fit evolutionary speaking for ameloblasts to be lost as the tooth emerges into the oral cavity. Wouldn't it be beneficiary to not render the enamel a non vital tissue and therefore would give regeneration to the enamel.

Members don't see this ad.

The only place enameloblasts could be located would be on the outer surface of the erupted tooth, along with some vascular support etc... where they would promptly get chewed up.

Mother Nature (or Fr. Evolution) did the best she could.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only place enameloblasts could be located would be on the outer surface of the erupted tooth, along with some vascular support etc... where they would promptly get chewed up.

Mother Nature (or Fr. Evolution) did the best she could.
That makes sense if you are looking at it in the short (relative to the entire evolutionary history) term.

That makes sense if you are looking at it in the short (relative to the entire evolutionary history) term.
Evolution doesn't necessarily perfect things, it merely keeps the survivors along the way. There are probably plenty of better ways to have teeth, but unless they provide a clear and consistent survival advantage they will be lost. The vascularity required of retaining the layer might increase the risk for infection or have some other unknown disadvantage that we just aren't thinking of.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe cavities weren’t as much of a problem before we started eating refined sugar. (?)

The one I can never understand is why we are prone to poor vision... nearsightedness etc. Without glasses on, I couldn’t hunt & gather my way out of a paper bag. Most things about our bodies are so finely-tuned; for such an important sense it seems as if 20/20 should be the rule vs the exception.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe cavities weren’t as much of a problem before we started eating refined sugar. (?)

The one I can never understand is why we are prone to poor vision... nearsightedness etc. Without glasses on, I couldn’t hunt & gather my way out of a paper bag. Most things about our bodies are so finely-tuned; for such an important sense it seems as if 20/20 should be the rule vs the exception.
That is very true cavities weren't as much of a problem before the industrial age, there were still a problem tho. And
Evolution doesn't necessarily perfect things, it merely keeps the survivors along the way. There are probably plenty of better ways to have teeth, but unless they provide a clear and consistent survival advantage they will be lost. The vascularity required of retaining the layer might increase the risk for infection or have some other unknown disadvantage that we just aren't thinking of.
you are right, evolution doesn't perfect things. The follow up to my question is: How far can we go with stem cell research in dentistry? That's why I asked the original question. It was a cool thought to imagine humans with regenerative-enamel based teeth.