American Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Canadian and I wanted to get a general overview of the application process for US schools. For example, in Ontario the general process is: You submit the application (references, transcripts, etc. the whole thing) by the end of Sept. Then you get invited for an interview around april and hear back around may. that's about it...no secondary interviews etc. I will obviously have to look into the procedure for american schools but i just want a general outline of how it goes...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello xylem, this is phloem, hahahahha

1. Take MCAT in April or August
2. Submit AMCAS application June-September (you want to do this ASAP). Here, you indicate what schools you want to apply to.
3. Submit secondary applications for each individual school, and pay more $. Some of the secondary applications are screened, and not everyone receives one.
4. Have letters of recommendation mailed to schools after receiving secondary application.
5. wait. wait. and wait some more.
6. Interviewing occurs generally between Sept and Spring.

Best wishes!

Angel

Hey Xylem,

I'm a Canuck @ UWO applying through AMCAS this year. Everything is pretty much covered in the above reply. One thing to note; your reference letters will most likely have to come from prof's who you've taken courses with instead of personal references (a bit different than OMSAS requires).

Cheers,
Jocks