I'm rushing the process - what's my best chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bvmedapp

Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional, and I believe I'll I could be a strong student/applicant but I basically pulled the trigger this last summer on finally trying to go to med school, and I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my chances. I'd like to take my MCAT next year with intentions of matriculating in 2024.

As a little bit of background:

Software Engineer with Bachelor's in Computer Science. cGPA ~3.75
Worked 3 years in a small firm, even as a manager towards the end of my software career.
Good extracurricular activities to talk about
I'll have 150-200 hours in a high quality volunteering position doing wound care by next summer. I could probably get some more.
I'll have good LORs from MDs, Profs, my CEO at the company
I've got a 4.0 through low level bio, gen chem, physics, and OChem I at a state school in the past year. I'm a solid student and I think I can continue the 4.0 throughout the rest of my schooling.

I'm trying to figure out when I should take the MCAT. At the end of this year I'll finally stop working, so I can take on as big of a course load as needed. However, I don't have the following courses that I assume are useful for the MCAT:

Org II
Human Physio I & II
Cell Bio (+lab)
Psychology

Right now I'm enrolled to take these courses.

Should I finish the semester (through May 12), then study exclusively for the MCAT through early july, and apply in early august?

Or should I finish the semester and try somehow to also study for the MCAT and take my MCAT in early May, which wouldn't get me as much time (or basically none) to study exclusively for the MCAT?

I guess I'll finish by saying generally I'm a pretty good test taker. I'm National Merit Finalist and have done well on other standardized tests. But I'm worried my science base at this point isn't quite good enough for the MCAT, even though I've excelled in the classes that I have taken.

Thanks so much for any help. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

How are you doing on clinical experience, shadowing, volunteering and research? I think you might need another year because you're going to need a few hundred hours in all of the above (except less for shadowing).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non-traditional, and I believe I'll I could be a strong student/applicant but I basically pulled the trigger this last summer on finally trying to go to med school, and I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my chances. I'd like to take my MCAT next year with intentions of matriculating in 2024.

As a little bit of background:

Software Engineer with Bachelor's in Computer Science. cGPA ~3.75
Worked 3 years in a small firm, even as a manager towards the end of my software career.
Good extracurricular activities to talk about
I'll have 150-200 hours in a high quality volunteering position doing wound care by next summer. I could probably get some more.
I'll have good LORs from MDs, Profs, my CEO at the company
I've got a 4.0 through low level bio, gen chem, physics, and OChem I at a state school in the past year. I'm a solid student and I think I can continue the 4.0 throughout the rest of my schooling.

I'm trying to figure out when I should take the MCAT. At the end of this year I'll finally stop working, so I can take on as big of a course load as needed. However, I don't have the following courses that I assume are useful for the MCAT:

Org II
Human Physio I & II
Cell Bio (+lab)
Psychology

Right now I'm enrolled to take these courses.

Should I finish the semester (through May 12), then study exclusively for the MCAT through early july, and apply in early august?

Or should I finish the semester and try somehow to also study for the MCAT and take my MCAT in early May, which wouldn't get me as much time (or basically none) to study exclusively for the MCAT?

I guess I'll finish by saying generally I'm a pretty good test taker. I'm National Merit Finalist and have done well on other standardized tests. But I'm worried my science base at this point isn't quite good enough for the MCAT, even though I've excelled in the classes that I have taken.

Thanks so much for any help. I appreciate it.
Don't take the MCAT before you are ready for it and doing well on practice exams. Taking the MCAT without the required coursework is not recommended.

While you may want to apply this summer and matriculate in 2024, it might be wiser to apply in 2024 and matriculate in 2025. That way you can take the MCAT when ready, get the experience that is valued by med schools, and apply early in the application cycle, like in June. Applying in August puts you at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 3 users
Why do you want to be a physician?
When I was younger, I was personally immensely talented academically in an immensely academically talented family. I was also rebellious, extremely active, and didn't want to spend my life thinking about hypotheticals like the rest of my lawyer family, all a bunch of Ivy League grads. So I did the absolute minimum in school I possibly could, spending more time doing activities in my home state of Montana like rock climbing, snowboarding, and other outdoor activities. I wanted to have a non-academic career in outdoor emergency rescue.

When I was a junior I got National Merit Finalist, which basically meant I would be an idiot if I didn't use the free college degree. I was really good at programming when I tried it the first time, so I ended up majoring in Computer Science with Business, which I was hoping would allow me to work minimally when I graduated while allowing me plenty of time to pursue the things I was actually interested in - outdoor activities.

I graduated with a 3.75 with very little effort but found a great job in a startup, and actually enjoyed pushing myself intellectually, but I didn't like sitting in front of a desk all day. So for about 3 years I worked this job, which I didn't necessarily mind, while slowly trying to stop myself from going and doing more school. I knew I couldn't do my split life anymore - I needed to actually care about my job, and if I could care even a little bit about programming (which I had no passion for), I knew I could care a lot about something I was passionate about. The field of medicine had always been fascinating to me, so I ended up shadowing physicians and doing some volunteering in a clinic with my wife and sister (who are nurses) and talked to a lot of physicians about their careers. Earlier this year, after a lot of thought, I pulled the trigger and jumped right in.

Medicine is incredibly attractive to me because while it allows me to use my academic and intellectual talents which I've denied for most of my life, it's also a career that keeps you on your feet. I want to be in a career that allows me to move around during the day, interact with people, and use my talents. A career in medicine allows me to pursue a great variety of interests, including starting my own business and research. There's a plethora of fields within medicine that have all of these elements.

let me know how my writing was here, I just typed this out in about 15 minutes and I understand its not cleaned up enough to be submitted in a secondary but that is the general idea

Reactions: 1 user
Don't take the MCAT before you are ready for it and doing well on practice exams. Taking the MCAT without the required coursework is not recommended.

While you may want to apply this summer and matriculate in 2024, it might be wiser to apply in 2024 and matriculate in 2025. That way you can take the MCAT when ready, get the experience that is valued by med schools, and apply early in the application cycle, like in June. Applying in August puts you at a disadvantage.

Do you think it is worthwhile for me to attempt to study for the MCAT during the spring semester and take the MCAT in late may, and if I receive a good target score (~>510) then submit my primaries in mid-late June? Then if I'm not successful, I can retake the MCAT and apply in 2024.

How are you doing on clinical experience, shadowing, volunteering and research? I think you might need another year because you're going to need a few hundred hours in all of the above (except less for shadowing).

My understanding is that as a non-trad it may be understood that I won't have biology or chemistry specific research.

I'll have about 150 high quality hours in a wound care facility volunteering and directly assisting physicians. I can probably get more, but its at the cost of more studying.

I'll have around 60-75 shadowing hours, which I've read is sufficient.

Then if I'm not successful, I can retake the MCAT and apply in 2024.
All MCAT scores remain visible and there is no way to know how any individual is going to interpret multiple scores.
Planning for a re-take is not an effective strategy. A single strong score is always preferable.
The MCAT is as much a test of judgement as knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Where do you live now? What programs are closest to you? Have you talked with them?

You have come to the right place. We have many people who succeeded. I wouldn't want you to rush, but I think taking a practice MCAT diagnostic without any practice may help you figure out how feasible it is to take the exam on your schedule.

EDIT: Not to downplay reddit, but hopefully this is consistent to what you are hearing.

Last edited:
Do you think it is worthwhile for me to attempt to study for the MCAT during the spring semester and take the MCAT in late may, and if I receive a good target score (~>510) then submit my primaries in mid-late June? Then if I'm not successful, I can retake the MCAT and apply in 2024.

Some schools average MCAT scores. All will see scores. Some take the highest. Some take the most recent. My advice again is take the MCAT when you feel ready, when you feel you can get the score you are truly capable of.

I also read you response to why do you want to become a doctor. Given that you put in15 minutes of effort it is well written, BUT it is way too negative and spends too much time on why you didn't want to be in school (which is what you're applying for), why you didn't want to be a lawyer like your family, why you don't want to continue in computer science as opposed to why you want to be a doctor.

Yes being a doctor doesn't necessarily chain you to a desk and computer screen, but why do you think you will be passionate about it? What attracts you to it (other than it's not what you've tried to avoid in the past)?

Basically you wrote 4 paragraphs and only one touches on why you want to be a doctor, and at the risk of being harsh, it's on the superficial side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Where do you live now? What programs are closest to you? Have you talked with them?

You have come to the right place. We have many people who succeeded. I wouldn't want you to rush, but I think taking a practice MCAT diagnostic without any practice may help you figure out how feasible it is to take the exam on your schedule.

I live in Oklahoma, where I graduated with my degree and have been working for the past 3 years. I've got OU Med and OSU DO close by and qualify for each as in-state. I've spoken to OSU DO but havent had an appointment with OU Med yet. Where I'm taking my pre-reqs, they offer guaranteed interview with OSU DO.

I'd like to apply broadly, but I'm not actually aiming for T20s or anything.

Some schools average MCAT scores. All will see scores. Some take the highest. Some take the most recent. My advice again is take the MCAT when you feel ready, when you feel you can get the score you are truly capable of.

I also read you response to why do you want to become a doctor. Given that you put in15 minutes of effort it is well written, BUT it is way to negative and spends too much time on why you didn't want to be in school (which is what you're applying for), why you didn't want to be a lawyer like your family, why you don't want to continue in computer science as opposed to why you want to be a doctor.

Yes being a doctor doesn't necessarily chain you to a desk and computer screen, but why do you think you will be passionate about it? What attracts you to it (other than it's not what you've tried to avoid in the past)?

Basically you wrote 4 paragraphs and only one touches on why you want to be a doctor, and at the risk of being harsh, it's on the superficial side.

Thanks for the feedback! I've never written anything for medical school, and haven't yet started looking into that part of the application process. I think I'll be able to adjust my writing style in the future.

Your advice is great. Thanks for the help there. I'll have to see if when I start the semester if I actually feel like my studying for the MCAT is effective.

Your schedule/background sound very similar to mine. I also worked in tech and had to go back to school for prereqs, and I'm applying this cycle.

In terms of classes- how many credits is that? Psychology is useful, but honestly, the whole sociology/psychology section of the MCAT can be learned in about a month of Kahn Academy, AAMC practice questions, and flashcards. It's mostly just memorization, and Orgo II and Physiology are typically very time consuming classes so you may not want to be spending a lot of time on psych through the semester.

I'd originally wanted to take the MCAT in May right after my classes ended (like you), but found that I needed more time to devote to studying. I took it mid June, and got my score mid July. I submitted my primary for verification about three weeks after taking the MCAT, so it wasn't verified until 3 weeks after getting my MCAT score back (verification takes 4-6 weeks). Most secondaries come within a couple days, so I was able to submit my apps by Labor day.

The schedule seemed to work for me, although I can't say I've had a whole lot of success yet with only one interview (so far?). My main regret through the process is not getting more non-clinical volunteering, and my total volunteering hours were similar to yours. See if there's a soup kitchen where you can put in a few hours each week.

Remember when setting up your schedule:
1) It takes a month for the MCAT to be scored (you can submit your primary for verification before having a score though)
2) Studying for the MCAT and filing out the application/writing essays at the same time is NOT as easy as it sounds. I thought I'd multitask, but found the bulk of writing my personal statement/activities came in the 3 weeks after taking the MCAT.
3) It takes 4-6 weeks for you primary to be verified.
4) Even if working on secondaries full time for 2 weeks, it can still be hard to finish them all. Writers block is a real thing (and being from a tech background, it was never my forte)

Feel free to DM me if you want more details on my process, and best of luck to you!

When I was younger, I was personally immensely talented academically in an immensely academically talented family. I was also rebellious, extremely active, and didn't want to spend my life thinking about hypotheticals like the rest of my lawyer family, all a bunch of Ivy League grads. So I did the absolute minimum in school I possibly could, spending more time doing activities in my home state of Montana like rock climbing, snowboarding, and other outdoor activities. I wanted to have a non-academic career in outdoor emergency rescue.

When I was a junior I got National Merit Finalist, which basically meant I would be an idiot if I didn't use the free college degree. I was really good at programming when I tried it the first time, so I ended up majoring in Computer Science with Business, which I was hoping would allow me to work minimally when I graduated while allowing me plenty of time to pursue the things I was actually interested in - outdoor activities.

I graduated with a 3.75 with very little effort but found a great job in a startup, and actually enjoyed pushing myself intellectually, but I didn't like sitting in front of a desk all day. So for about 3 years I worked this job, which I didn't necessarily mind, while slowly trying to stop myself from going and doing more school. I knew I couldn't do my split life anymore - I needed to actually care about my job, and if I could care even a little bit about programming (which I had no passion for), I knew I could care a lot about something I was passionate about. The field of medicine had always been fascinating to me, so I ended up shadowing physicians and doing some volunteering in a clinic with my wife and sister (who are nurses) and talked to a lot of physicians about their careers. Earlier this year, after a lot of thought, I pulled the trigger and jumped right in.

Medicine is incredibly attractive to me because while it allows me to use my academic and intellectual talents which I've denied for most of my life, it's also a career that keeps you on your feet. I want to be in a career that allows me to move around during the day, interact with people, and use my talents. A career in medicine allows me to pursue a great variety of interests, including starting my own business and research. There's a plethora of fields within medicine that have all of these elements.

let me know how my writing was here, I just typed this out in about 15 minutes and I understand its not cleaned up enough to be submitted in a secondary but that is the general idea
I see a lot about "me" in this answer and nothing about patients..as in helping them.

Reactions: 7 users
I ask this question as sort of a Rorschach test. I'll echo what others have said, your response tells me that you think you're very talented (and you may well be), but I get no little that you actually know what you're getting yourself into.

If ever there as a field that shouldn't be rushed into, it's this one. While a medical degree is quite versatile, ultimately the practice of medicine is a service job, and learning it comes at a cost that can't be measured in years or dollars.

It would behoove you to pump the brakes. Your GPA is a great start, but to make yourself broadly competitive you will need to focus a lot more attention on volunteering. Don't take the MCAT until you are on track to get a solid score. And don't even think about starting a personal statement until you can articulate a rationale for pursuing this profession that's more compelling.

SDN is a great resource. Don't be a stranger.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I'm also a non-trad, out of my first undergrad for many years, but I'm planning to apply in 2024 to hopefully matriculate in 2025. I would do some soul searching into your why medicine a bit more. To me it reads like "I can do this intellectually, so why not do it" which I totally understand, but I don't think it's enough to go through this brutal process, 4 more years of school, 3+ years of residency, etc. I also don't think it's going to do you any favors in the application process. Plenty of people are incredibly intelligent, with perfect test scores and GPA, but aren't cut out to be doctors because they don't have the personality, empathy, desire, etc that it might take. It's great that you are smart and come from a highly educated family, but what does that have to do with becoming a doctor? Why do you specifically want to go into this field, aside from being smart enough to do it? Do you love working with and serving all kinds of people? Is there a specific area of medicine that really draws you in because of a life experience, or connection? I think you need to search beyond your reasons for being qualified to do the schooling/job and look more into what being a physician truly entails and whether that aligns with what you see yourself doing for the rest of your career. Just my two cents!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The rest has been addressed, but I wouldn't consider research strictly necessary unless the OP wants to go to a research-focused school / specialty.

Reactions: 4 users
I ask this question as sort of a Rorschach test. I'll echo what others have said, your response tells me that you think you're very talented (and you may well be), but I get no little that you actually know what you're getting yourself into.

If ever there as a field that shouldn't be rushed into, it's this one. While a medical degree is quite versatile, ultimately the practice of medicine is a service job, and learning it comes at a cost that can't be measured in years or dollars.

It would behoove you to pump the brakes. Your GPA is a great start, but to make yourself broadly competitive you will need to focus a lot more attention on volunteering. Don't take the MCAT until you are on track to get a solid score. And don't even think about starting a personal statement until you can articulate a rationale for pursuing this profession that's more compelling.

SDN is a great resource. Don't be a stranger.

Thanks for the feedback, and I think this is an important response for me to switch my mindset a little bit.

I also read you response to why do you want to become a doctor. Given that you put in15 minutes of effort it is well written, BUT it is way too negative and spends too much time on why you didn't want to be in school (which is what you're applying for), why you didn't want to be a lawyer like your family, why you don't want to continue in computer science as opposed to why you want to be a doctor.

I think, if it's any explanation, the focus of my response is due to the fact that along this journey I've been asked almost entirely questions with the same exact theme. There's a pattern - First I'll tell them why I've been interested in medicine, but because I'm talking to primarily physicians and professors in the field (along with friends), its somewhat assumed that I have good reasons for an interest in medicine as a whole. Here's the actual questions I've been asked:

Why M.D. rather than PA?

What are your plans for school and prereqs?

Why do you think you are able to keep this schedule?
(Usually from professors in response to me attempting to waive prerequisites, like taking Organic and General chemistries simultaneously)

With your background with little effort in academics, why do you want to make a switch to something so much more academic?

Why do you want to switch to a more difficult lifestyle? You should stay in Tech

Will you be able to balance marriage, hobbies, and the rigorous schedule of med school and residency?

I've had these types of questions much, much more often than the standard, "Why do you FEEL like you want to do medicine". It seems much more often people have been asking "CAN you do medicine", and so my priorities thus far have basically been an attempt to prove myself academically since I never have had to before, or even had the inclination to do so.

I do have answers to the "Why?", I just feel like those answers often fall on deaf ears that assume anything you say about "Why?" is BS cultivated for AdComs. Especially when talking to physicians.

For one, I want to work and live in a community, preferably a small one. I grew up in slightly more rural Montana, and also lived in other areas in the rural West, and I love those areas (especially Montana) with all my heart. I've since lived in cities, and I find myself constantly going back for outdoor recreation and for the friends and family I knew there. And I would love to find a way to bring myself back into those communities and actually contribute to them. Taking a remote development job out in Montana could be a way to get myself back there, but I want to actually serve the communities and be a part of locality. When growing up, the same Doctor delivered me and siblings, and was my family doctor for my whole childhood. I remember not only admiring his intelligence but thinking of him as a part of the small family I had in the community and at church. This personal relationship combined with his expertise in his field has always kept him in my mind, even after many years away from home.

Because of my religious background, I've been on many mission trips in high school, and I enjoyed the experiences serving other cultures. However, much of the "work" we did seemed more like a feel-good vacation without providing anything of real use to the communities. Medicine is a way for me to develop a long term relationship with a community in a missions field while providing something of real value. The two physicians I'm most close to, both surgeons, have had long term relationships with mission fields in Central America and Africa, which has been a great inspiration to me in my exploration of medicine as a career field.

Medicine is constantly changing, and the challenges are different every day. This diversity within the job itself attracts me heavily. While I problem-solve in my current job, I believe the presence of other humans in every day of my work as a Physician would bring a diversity of problem solving to my life with the ability to provide something of value to others.

I love to teach and I love to introduce people to new concepts. I've spent years and years teaching friends, family, and acquaintances how to rock climb, whether through my job as a climbing instructor or in my personal life. I've been the leader of many trips, whether to smaller cliffs in the Arkansas backcountry or to the big walls of Yosemite. This part of my hobby is immensely fulfilling - teaching my proteges how to keep themselves safe and how to improve their physical and mental abilities in order to overcome the inherent obstacles that outdoor recreation. I feel like I can draw many principles from this part of my life to a career in medicine. I believe a career in medicine could often be a way to help others not only in the immediate interaction with the patient, but to help and inspire patients to find ways to improve their physical and mental health for other obstacles in the future. I look forward to seeing a patient change their lifestyle and health, just as I love seeing my friends do their first outdoor rock climb or even their first pull-up in the gym.

I'm confident about the reasons I have FOR medicine. My struggle has always been leaving what is currently a very easy and healthy lifestyle, and uprooting my family for a passion I have. What if I can't do it? What if I'm not academically capable? I'm almost 26, am I too old? Will I get into the field and bring my family into debt just to discover that all my wonderful reasons for loving medicine are peeled away by the drudgery of another 8+ years of education and monotony, when I was burned out in my current field during an easy undergrad?

These "no" questions have always been much more difficult for me than the "yes" questions. It's been an assumption for a long, long time that a career in medicine is something I would want. I've always admired the profession, I've always thought that If I could have any job, I'd pick one in medicine. But I didn't think I was cut out for it. It's always been more difficult for me to convince myself that I'm actually capable.

Thanks for reading my shpeel. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, and I think this is an important response for me to switch my mindset a little bit.

I think, if it's any explanation, the focus of my response is due to the fact that along this journey I've been asked almost entirely questions with the same exact theme. There's a pattern - First I'll tell them why I've been interested in medicine, but because I'm talking to primarily physicians and professors in the field (along with friends), its somewhat assumed that I have good reasons for an interest in medicine as a whole. Here's the actual questions I've been asked:

Why M.D. rather than PA?

What are your plans for school and prereqs?

Why do you think you are able to keep this schedule?
(Usually from professors in response to me attempting to waive prerequisites, like taking Organic and General chemistries simultaneously)

With your background with little effort in academics, why do you want to make a switch to something so much more academic?

Why do you want to switch to a more difficult lifestyle? You should stay in Tech

Will you be able to balance marriage, hobbies, and the rigorous schedule of med school and residency?

I've had these types of questions much, much more often than the standard, "Why do you FEEL like you want to do medicine". It seems much more often people have been asking "CAN you do medicine", and so my priorities thus far have basically been an attempt to prove myself academically since I never have had to before, or even had the inclination to do so.

I do have answers to the "Why?", I just feel like those answers often fall on deaf ears that assume anything you say about "Why?" is BS cultivated for AdComs. Especially when talking to physicians.

For one, I want to work and live in a community, preferably a small one. I grew up in slightly more rural Montana, and also lived in other areas in the rural West, and I love those areas (especially Montana) with all my heart. I've since lived in cities, and I find myself constantly going back for outdoor recreation and for the friends and family I knew there. And I would love to find a way to bring myself back into those communities and actually contribute to them. Taking a remote development job out in Montana could be a way to get myself back there, but I want to actually serve the communities and be a part of locality. When growing up, the same Doctor delivered me and siblings, and was my family doctor for my whole childhood. I remember not only admiring his intelligence but thinking of him as a part of the small family I had in the community and at church. This personal relationship combined with his expertise in his field has always kept him in my mind, even after many years away from home.

Because of my religious background, I've been on many mission trips in high school, and I enjoyed the experiences serving other cultures. However, much of the "work" we did seemed more like a feel-good vacation without providing anything of real use to the communities. Medicine is a way for me to develop a long term relationship with a community in a missions field while providing something of real value. The two physicians I'm most close to, both surgeons, have had long term relationships with mission fields in Central America and Africa, which has been a great inspiration to me in my exploration of medicine as a career field.

Medicine is constantly changing, and the challenges are different every day. This diversity within the job itself attracts me heavily. While I problem-solve in my current job, I believe the presence of other humans in every day of my work as a Physician would bring a diversity of problem solving to my life with the ability to provide something of value to others.

I love to teach and I love to introduce people to new concepts. I've spent years and years teaching friends, family, and acquaintances how to rock climb, whether through my job as a climbing instructor or in my personal life. I've been the leader of many trips, whether to smaller cliffs in the Arkansas backcountry or to the big walls of Yosemite. This part of my hobby is immensely fulfilling - teaching my proteges how to keep themselves safe and how to improve their physical and mental abilities in order to overcome the inherent obstacles that outdoor recreation. I feel like I can draw many principles from this part of my life to a career in medicine. I believe a career in medicine could often be a way to help others not only in the immediate interaction with the patient, but to help and inspire patients to find ways to improve their physical and mental health for other obstacles in the future. I look forward to seeing a patient change their lifestyle and health, just as I love seeing my friends do their first outdoor rock climb or even their first pull-up in the gym.

I'm confident about the reasons I have FOR medicine. My struggle has always been leaving what is currently a very easy and healthy lifestyle, and uprooting my family for a passion I have. What if I can't do it? What if I'm not academically capable? I'm almost 26, am I too old? Will I get into the field and bring my family into debt just to discover that all my wonderful reasons for loving medicine are peeled away by the drudgery of another 8+ years of education and monotony, when I was burned out in my current field during an easy undergrad?

These "no" questions have always been much more difficult for me than the "yes" questions. It's been an assumption for a long, long time that a career in medicine is something I would want. I've always admired the profession, I've always thought that If I could have any job, I'd pick one in medicine. But I didn't think I was cut out for it. It's always been more difficult for me to convince myself that I'm actually capable.

Thanks for reading my shpeel. I appreciate your help.
This response is much more about Why Medicine than your earlier one and frankly I think does a better job of answering several of the questions you say you're frequently asked. It shows more maturity and self awareness and well as some distinctive experiences and perspective.

I still think you would be wiser not to rush.