American Board of pathology certification- Extra training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahasan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am an anatomical pathologist and practicing pathology in Canada for last few years. Now I am looking for a AP position in USA but almost all jobs ask for American board certification and unfortunately I don't have American board. I have heard that I need to become board certified within a 5 years after completion of residency, which I missed. Credentialing department of American board informed that I have to go through one year of extra training first and than I will be eligible to write exam. This is too much to go through.....please provide any suggestion if you have for Canadian AP pathologist to locate a job in USA without American board certification. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,
I am an anatomical pathologist and practicing pathology in Canada for last few years. Now I am looking for a AP position in USA but almost all jobs ask for American board certification and unfortunately I don't have American board. I have heard that I need to become board certified within a 5 years after completion of residency, which I missed. Credentialing department of American board informed that I have to go through one year of extra training first and than I will be eligible to write exam. This is too much to go through.....please provide any suggestion if you have for Canadian AP pathologist to locate a job in USA without American board certification. Thx
As noted above this forum is for site suggestions. I’ll move your query to the path forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
You cant do anything, the system is SPECIFICALLY designed to disallow such movement. If you are a Canadian pathologist, you are basically staying in Canada. This is by design, its called trade protection and is present in all sorts of fields.

Imagine a scenario where we just allowed anyone from anywhere come to this country and hang out a shingle claiming to be profession X. Some might be good or even great, but many would be bad. Soon profession X would be rife with stories like Dominican Republic tourism, total trainwreck PR disasters.

Sucks for you certainly, but that is the truth. The fact they even gave you a shortcut way to get American certification is VASTLY more than courtesy than I would have extended to you. And even this one year you claim is too much....

No one owes you a career in American pathology, all my cocktails, sports cars and hot tubs filled with models are spoken for, sorry.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users