American grad learning curve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolateagar04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I started my PGY-2 in Neurology. After a year of learning COPD, CHF, Pneumonia, and kind of struggling to re learn neuroanatomy and clinical neurology.

My program has some FMGs here and some of them were neurologists in their country, most of them did a ton of neuro electives aroudn the country before residency, some have research backgroudn etc. Anywas Ive noticed the AMGs at our program seem to have a much higher learning curve than the FMGs. Its kind of overwhelming and intimidating. Does anyone else feel this way or has anyone else noticed this? Does it eventually even out?

I think it has to do with the fact that we usually dont have much exposure to neurology, if at all, and have less freedom in picking electives as a student here. Im sure this is not the case everywhere but Im just speaking from personal experience.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not just you, I'm feeling it too. One of my co residents was a former neurosurgeon in his country and already knows everything. Hard to keep up with when you're still used to checking heart/lung sounds first instead of the neuro exam

Hey,

So I started my PGY-2 in Neurology. After a year of learning COPD, CHF, Pneumonia, and kind of struggling to re learn neuroanatomy and clinical neurology.

My program has some FMGs here and some of them were neurologists in their country, most of them did a ton of neuro electives aroudn the country before residency, some have research backgroudn etc. Anywas Ive noticed the AMGs at our program seem to have a much higher learning curve than the FMGs. Its kind of overwhelming and intimidating. Does anyone else feel this way or has anyone else noticed this? Does it eventually even out?

I think it has to do with the fact that we usually dont have much exposure to neurology, if at all, and have less freedom in picking electives as a student here. Im sure this is not the case everywhere but Im just speaking from personal experience.

Hal Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy through Clinical cases is a good read for the PGY-2 year.

Laughing your way to passing the Neurology Boards by Amy McGregor is a good prep for your RITE exam

COLEN Flash cards are good for learning neuropathology, neurorads, and some neuroanatomy, no so good for other things.

There is a book by Laurie Loevner that breaks down neurorads cases and is a good learning tool.

The above, I feel, are a good start for PGY-2 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather have a resident that knows nothing at first, a tabula rasa, so you can teach them from the ground up, than someone who 'yeah yeah yeahs' through my discussion on dissection and then heparinizes my patient with a 4th part vert dissection a week later. So don't be discouraged.

You're saying that you are upset that people who have previously completed a residency in neurology or neurosurgery know more neuro-related medicine than you?

This is totally beyond your control and you shouldn't worry. Work hard, study hard, and keep a positive attitude. You'll be just fine. Good luck.

You're saying that you are upset that people who have previously completed a residency in neurology or neurosurgery know more neuro-related medicine than you?

This is totally beyond your control and you shouldn't worry. Work hard, study hard, and keep a positive attitude. You'll be just fine. Good luck.

I see the words of encouragement that you leave and I certainly would not discourage these individuals.

That being stated, I once was in a similar situation to these residents so I can relate. I had a resident in my program that scored 100th percentile on his RITE every year. All of the other guys traditionally were 90th percentile or above. I was that guy that needed and wanted to learn neurology but my staff did not appreciate this. I certainly was treated different than my colleagues. My program sort of had the philosophy that if you were not above average, then you were automatically below average, there was no such thing as in between.

If that is what these two are going through, then I feel for them.

Keep in mind gents that you will learn neurology, even if it takes you four years to do so. Today, I am still learning, even though I have been out of residency for four years. As frustrating as your situation may be, remember, you are in this for yourself, not for them. Take care of yourself and never give up! Keep going! Trust me, its a whole new world once you leave the ivory tower of residency.