You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
American schools that look at best 2 or last 2
Started by psych844
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We can see all of them, thus all of them are inevitably considered.
The american schools are a lot more lenient with GPA though, none of that 3.96 average stuff like UofT
It seems like most people need like a 3.8 here, it appears that US citizens can even get accepted to med schools with GPA's below 3.5!
It seems like most people need like a 3.8 here, it appears that US citizens can even get accepted to med schools with GPA's below 3.5!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
H
HCHopeful
We Americans are dumb-dumb's. 🙄
haha I didn't mean it that wayWe Americans are dumb-dumb's. 🙄
Canada only has 17 med schools so it's just absurdly competitive, and a lot of people who can't get in here because they've got a "low" 3.85 GPA just go to the US
haha I didn't mean it that way
Canada only has 17 med schools so it's just absurdly competitive, and a lot of people who can't get in here because they've got a "low" 3.85 GPA just go to the US
I don't understand why people think having 17 med schools is the reason for the ultra competitiveness of Canadian medical school admissions.
Canada has 1/10th the population as the U.S.
17 MD schools for a population of 35 million is the equivalent of 170 MD schools for a population of 350 million.
How many applicants though?I don't understand why people think having 17 med schools is the reason for the ultra competitiveness of Canadian medical school admissions.
Canada has 1/10th the population as the U.S.
17 MD schools for a population of 35 million is the equivalent of 170 MD schools for a population of 350 million.
roughly the same per school. However, the difference lies in that if you are from Ontario, you get no 'in state' bias so to speak, and the cutoffs are MUCH higher in many cases:
Western university: min MCAT of 9/11/12 (PS/VR/BS). aka no 11VR no getting in
Ottawa: strict GPA cutoff of 3.87
Toronto: average GPA of 3.96 to get in...however this icludes roughly 30% grad students who have a lower average...estimated min GPA for an undergrad is ~3.98
Queens: hidden cutoffs (est. 10VR, 3.8 GPA) but around 5000 applicants for 100 spots
Mcgill: ave GPA 3.9, mode GPA 4.0
The thing is, being from Ontario, you're not getting into med school with a 3.5, or a 9VR. We also don't have the DO option, so you're SOL
I only say this after seeing many people get into multiple mid/high teir US schools after going 2 cycles here without a single interview
Western university: min MCAT of 9/11/12 (PS/VR/BS). aka no 11VR no getting in
Ottawa: strict GPA cutoff of 3.87
Toronto: average GPA of 3.96 to get in...however this icludes roughly 30% grad students who have a lower average...estimated min GPA for an undergrad is ~3.98
Queens: hidden cutoffs (est. 10VR, 3.8 GPA) but around 5000 applicants for 100 spots
Mcgill: ave GPA 3.9, mode GPA 4.0
The thing is, being from Ontario, you're not getting into med school with a 3.5, or a 9VR. We also don't have the DO option, so you're SOL
I only say this after seeing many people get into multiple mid/high teir US schools after going 2 cycles here without a single interview
This is why I laugh every time I hear an uninformed pre-med at my school say "yeah I'm going to apply to some Canada med schools because their tuition is so much cheaper"
Last edited:
I took it twice and got a 10VR fml...have a >96th percentile score but still don't meet cutoff's for a bunch of the Canadian schoolsMy god, I had no idea that California had a larger population than the whole country of Canada!
Still there are some medical schools in Canada that cut you off if you dont have a 11 verbal score. Thats like the 88th percentile in verbal. lollllllll
I took it twice and got a 10VR fml...have a >96th percentile score but still don't meet cutoff's for a bunch of the Canadian schools
Yea... move to the USA!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K