Schools with the best/worst lifestyle?

Started by beana03
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beana03

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I'm applying to med schools this May and am working on my school list right now. I am a big work hard/play hard person and have a lot of hobbies outside of school and work that I don't want to give up completely in med school. I wanted to ask what schools have good or bad lifestyles. Obviously it's med school, it will be tough anywhere, but are there schools that are especially competitive/don't prioritize student wellness that I should avoid? Are there schools who prefer students with a balance of medical/nonmedical activities?
 
Hello! I'm applying to med schools this May and am working on my school list right now. I am a big work hard/play hard person and have a lot of hobbies outside of school and work that I don't want to give up completely in med school. I wanted to ask what schools have good or bad lifestyles. Obviously it's med school, it will be tough anywhere, but are there schools that are especially competitive/don't prioritize student wellness that I should avoid? Are there schools who prefer students with a balance of medical/nonmedical activities?
Recorded lectures, minimal amount of mandatory activities, and P/F curriculum are generally seen as good "lifestyle" indicators. Location also matters depending on your hobbies and interests.
 
I feel like school in any capacity is what you make of it. There definitely have been people who have a hard time at the most “chill” programs, and others who have a great time at more “competitive” programs. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder here. You can decide to open up First Aid on day one and be a shut in, or you can decide to go out with your classmates every weekend. It would help to be in a nice city, but “fun” is also relative as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure what you are looking for in a "non-competitive" environment. I agree that even if the admins take away any/all markers of comparison like no-ranking, no-AOA, P/F non-clinicals and clinicals, no mandatory anything... it doesn't mean that the students themselves aren't self-motivated, that they find a way to keep the culture "competitive." If people shield old exams or Anki/UWorld resources from you, does that contribute to a competitive or non-competitive student culture?

Also, I think most medical students need to be reminded that they are being graded and measured against others. Take for example Step 1.