American University of Beirut -- good backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2failornot2fail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a couple threads about AUB, but most have gotten a bit off-topic.

I'm about to go into my sophomore year, but I'm beginning to think about medical school more and more because, well, I've shadowed and volunteered in clinics and a hospital and I'm pretty sure this is the path I want.

I am originally from Beirut, Lebanon, so my parents are pushing me toward AUB. I know that I'd like to match in the US, and that going abroad would do more harm than good. But, worst case scenario, would the American University of Beirut Medical School be an acceptable backup?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to become a doctor in the United States, then attending the American University of Beirut Medical School is not an acceptable backup. It is very difficult for international medical graduates to match into residencies in the US, and it is only going to get harder.

You're only a sophomore. Get good grades, get involved in more extracurricular activities, study hard for the MCAT, and apply broadly to US medical schools.