AMGEN Scholars Program - Summer 2009!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email from UCLA saying I have been waitlisted.
I went and talked to them today and they said waitlisted people will be notified early next week.
Has anyone here been accepted to the UCLA program?

Members don't see this ad.

@ Beta Cell

I think it was a creditable source. However, for me, that was not the only factor that made me decide to not apply for UCSF AMGEN!

Anyways, Good Luck everyone! I am really nervous for next week!!

Still no news. Surprisingly, I am becoming apathetic to the whole process. I will just work to publish my clinical journal this summer -- going to miss San Francisco though :(

Congrats again UST and Beta Cell, San Francisco is great. I don't know about the process for Amgen, but I did a program there as raising freshman during my summer before college -- it was very well organized. I don't think there should be any administrative issue. Besides, they are over 1000 labs literally in UCSF. I don't think they will have any problem finding placement for 24 students.

Good luck, enjoy your summer experience. Especially UST, San Francisco is definitely different from Minnesota, enjoy the California Sunshine

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, has anyone applied to HHMI Janelia Farm's Summer Undergraduate Scholar program?? .. or it is just not known since it is a very new program.
http://www.hhmi.org/janelia/undergrad.html

The offer seems very amazing ($4500 stipend, free housing, free round trip ticket)

Bastar88, don't give up hope yet. They had to have confirmation from students by March 16th so that they can offer more acceptances to other students, so it's not over yet.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone applied to HHMI Janelia Farm's Summer Undergraduate Scholar program?? .. or it is just not known since it is a very new program.
http://www.hhmi.org/janelia/undergrad.html

The offer seems very amazing ($4500 stipend, free housing, free round trip ticket)

I saw that too - I'll definitely apply next year. It looks amazing!!

Just got my rejection letter from Columbia's AMGEN program. Nothing surprising considering they only had 15 spots and I wasn't gonna accept it anyways.

bastar88 don't give up man, just hope for the best. I'm rooting for ya!

Waitlisted for SURF at Rockefeller. I sure am getting lots of waitlist love...

I haven't heard anything back from UCSF or UCLA, which is kind of annoying. Even I get shoved on a waitlist or rejected, I just want to hear something :(

UCSF SRTP! Just got a phone call a half hour ago so don't despair Aggro. I called on Fri asking wtf happened to my app (sent to voice mail)...maybe you can call too.

I must have been on the waitlist since someone mentioned having to reply by March 16th. Or I was in the second batch of acceptances.

The deal sounds fantastic but I'll be applying to med school in the summer. Will it be realistic to apply and do the 40 hrs/wk research? All the while trying to keep it hidden that I'm not interested in a PhD? (or even MD/PhD...? I gave up on it a month after sending in all my summer research apps) Still want to do MD/MS though.

UCSF requires a paper and a poster with an oral presentation too...I did an SURF last summer and I was stressing out over just a paper/oral.

I called UCSD this morning for app status: No one answered- Left a voicemail and they haven't called back yet!

Emailed UCB this morning: No reply yet!

I cant wait anymore! I wish they had a site where we could check our status- Accepted/ Under review/ Waitlisted/ Rejected !!

Out of curiosity when did Amgen become so popular/coveted in relation to other programs? Is this fervor only on SDN?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMGEN is coveted no more than the SURF program at MAYO, John's Hopkin's SURE, Harvard's SHURP, etc. But AMGEN Scholars is the way you want to do do research at Stanford, Caltech, UCSF, Washington-Seattle etc, or one of the other 10 host sites.

So to answer your question, AMGEN isn't valued higher than any other program, it allows one to do summer research at a top research institution at a location that they would also like to maybe attend for med school or grad school in the future, maybe even be a place that they always wanted to visit and explore ( I always wanted to see San Francisco!).

But come on now, summer research at one of the premier (Stanford is 1st!) medical research institutions sponsored by a gigantic billion dollar biotechnology corporation in AMGEN, sounds pretty prestigious to me! I have no doubt whoever gets interviewed at any med school will know their summer research for AMGEN is gonna be an interview topic.

Has any one heard new news from Standford and UCSF?

Neuro, UCSF already released some acceptances.

UST, according to USNWR, Stanford isn't the top medical research school of the Amgen schools. UCSF looks like it's the top medical research school of the bunch.

UCSF sent out acceptance letters to AMGEN and SRTP programs last week (Wednesday and Thursday) I believe. We had to deny or accept offers by the 16th. So you probably got wait-listed if you haven't heard from them yet. I'm thinking that a second batch of acceptances should be sent out from UCSF and Stanford this week, so be on the lookout!

I have to second what UST2010 said. I'm actually pre-PhD (only here because I had no idea what the hell was going on with my summer apps) and the reason I'm attracted to the AMGEN program is because of the schools that participate. UCSF, Berkeley, and Stanford all have graduate programs that perfectly match my research interests, so applying to the AMGEN program at these schools is really a way for me to start thinking about where I want to attend graduate school. Additionally, the AMGEN programs are small. Last summer I participated in a research program that, although great, was huge. I feel like AMGEN programs somewhat accurately create an environment similar to what you'll experience if you attend graduate school (small, closeknit academic community).

UST, are SRTP and Amgen not the same? Can you paste your letter on here or PM it to me? Mine specifically says "UCSF SRTP," but I thought I applied to Amgen. This is odd?

I am going crazy w/ my mailbox these day, obsessively checking every 10 minutes.
I can only imagine what It would be like with the MSTP process.

UST2010...Out of curiousity, r u an Amgen rep? or are you just fond of Amgen logo?

Ugh, I think I may have ranked SRTP first, argh. So I don't get to go on the trip with everyone else then? Oh well :\

Same here. I refreshed my outlook mailbox every 10 mins from 9am-5pm >.<
I feel obsessed and disappointed thinking I might have to miss out this summer at UCSF.
For those who have made it, congrats and enjoy! And I know you guys will :)

Same here. I refreshed my outlook mailbox every 10 mins from 9am-5pm >.<

same i have been doing that often too. I cant imagine us when we are applying to med schools.:laugh:

I feel so much better after finding out that I am not the only one to refreshing my inbox every 10 min. All I could think about in my neurobio class was if UCB Amgen replied to my email :O

Btw, I just received a reply from them saying that most of the acceptances and rejections were sent out and that they are re-reviewing the applications that have not been rejected yet. Sounds like, the program did not find my application attractive enough to send me an acceptance in first look and neither did they want to reject me. So they are re-reviewing it! :xf:

And to add to my previous post:

UCB Amgen also mentioned that they will have all their decisions sent out by the end of this week!

Good Luck to all of us!! and Congratulations to who all go in!!

yo are my STANFORD HOMIES sending out their second wave?

Has stanford sent out any rejections yet?

I have a feeling that they are holding all apps (both rejections and wait lists).

Just called the UCSF SRTP people. They are sending emails this thursday. And they rejected me..via a fone line connecting the two coasts. It was somewhat painful.. oh Heck! I will still do reserach.

All of this is getting us prepared for the bigger rejections in our future (sorry to be so pessmistic).

NeuroChaos, don't be bummed out by this man. It's really just one bump on the road. I came into this thinking that regardless of what happens, I had a plan for the summer.

And yeah, we will get bigger rejections in our future there is no doubt about it. But everyone's been rejected before, and we've all bounced back from it. All anyone can do is give it everything they've got and become a great applicant to adcoms. Some will get in and and some will be rejected. If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll be fine.

I got an extension on Mayo Clinic SURF to today. I got lucky!!

congrats wagonwheel! out of curiosity, is your research area in engineering...i guess they accept a certain number of students for each area, and i'm waitlisted for engineering for UCB amgen.

My research area is biomedical sciences (immunology). Good luck getting off of the waitlist! I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Congrats wagonwheel23, hey my research area is immunology too! Gotta admit it, but immunology is some sweet stuff.

so columbia amgen sent their rejections by mail? i'll be looking out for it the next day or two i guess

oh sweet guys, stanford AMGEN is giving me FALSE hope that they'll still accept me in the 2nd wave of acceptances...i want that rejection letter now instead of waiting for it or having to find out over the phone!! :(

I got into Pauletta and Denzel Washington summer research program at Cedars Sinai, and one with American Ped Society at Vandy.
Anyone know anything about how either of these are?

hey guys,

i got accepted to UCSF too! BTW do we have to pay for our housing while we're there?

See ya'll this summer

Last edited:
Got my UCSF rejection today. No worries though! And congratulations kygirl!

Ky, we don't have to pay for the rooms while we're there. I don't know if you saw or not either, but it took some digging through their site, and I found that we stay at USF's Pedro Arrupe Hall. I guess I'll see you there.

Got the UCSF rejection email today too

but anyways, ill see you guys and gals at the symposium in july:)

What is the 3 day biotech symposium I hear about? What conference is held in Los Angeles and what is held at Lake Tahoe? Do we present posters at both?

The 3 day biotech symposium is held at UCLA. I don't think there will be another one held in Lake Tahoe. The Amgen scholars of 2007 had their symposium at Lake Tahoe though. From looking at the pictures of the symposium on the amgen scholars website, I think we have to present poster.

Hey Jeffosokisk and Yankdez, just out of curiousity, which amgen sites are you guys going to.

So far I have been rejected from Columbia and SF. I have yet to hear from SD or Stanford. I've also got a few rejections from other places. One really strange one from the SNURF program at Vermont, totally read like rejection letter but they they said they were still considering me--Very odd. So far I have got an acceptance to the SURE program at UMDNJ and I still have like 7 other schools to hear from too, so I'm still hopeful. And at least now I know I def. got in somewhere.

hey madamebovary,

The amgen site I'm going to is caltech.