Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

AMSA, AMA conferences, etc

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by ideas, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ideas

ideas Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you all were applying to rad-onc did you feel like these conferences and others helped you to make contacts that were beneficial later on? I have surgery during all of the major conferences this year and I am trying to figure out if I should make arrangements to attend or if I should just focus on honoring surgery.

Thanks

2. napoleondynamite

napoleondynamite Keepin' it real yo
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you were going to pick a conference to attend, I'd say it should be ASTRO if you want to network. I did not go, but others I talked to say it was a good idea to go.

3. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

amsa and AMA: none whatsoever (unless perhaps you want to go into the legislative arena). ASTRO? Worth it as a resident but not as a student unless your presenting something. Focus on your surgery now, worry about contacts when you have something to offer them so they'll be keen to meet with you. right now they'll all have a busy schedule and not likely to have much to offer a med student.