Gap between job A and job B and job C etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radonc90

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyway, just happened to see this old tweet (see link below)...

- When you apply to job C, application form often says "explain employment gap between job A and job B...".
I understand hospital C may want to rule out "important stuff" that may affect your function in job C.
Things such as addiction or medical issues that impair your function as a physician.

- Or hospital C may worry that by taking let's say 8 months off, your surgical skills (let's assume you are a surgeon etc.)
become rusty?

But...

- This could be let's say stroke that you recover well and does not impair your current function.
And you needed that time to recover. Also, this is your personal stuff that you may not want to disclose
(privacy issue).

- Or maybe the medical condition slightly affects your functioning as an MD...

- Or maybe job A ended at let's say June 2018, and job B was not ready for you until Nov. 2018.
So you had this 5-month gap busy reading RedJ (j/k)...

- Or maybe you wanted to take 6 months to "recharge your battery" by going to let's say France, Spain,
Italy etc. to travel, an opportunity that you cannot afford time off if you are employed FT.

In your experience:

1. Has this (clarifying the time gap between job A and job B) ever been an issue?

2. What is the max time off between job A and job B that raises a red flag to hospital C?
Is it > 6 months?

3. What if you take 10 months off to care for your dying parents?

PS: I personally think the medical field is brutal, they expect "the best out of you", i.e., it is almost
a taboo to take time off for personal reasons. Maybe you are "too weak to handle tough medical issues
and took 5 months off"...

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have known many docs who have taken sabbaticals for personal issues. Usually they are asked to explain why, but for all of them it's a legit reason so they don't get any flak after that. Of course, none of those docs I know are surgeons so I guess theoretically those people may have more issues with surgeons missing time and losing their dexterity. But I've also known docs who take months off between jobs to just hang out and they just write "doing locums between switching jobs" as their excuse and it seems to be OK from what they've told me.

Hospitals around me ask applicants to explain any period of time away from clinical practice of greater than 4-5 weeks. Should be ok,i wouldn't hide anything from them though

Members don't see this ad :)
How problematic this is depends on how competitive your specific market is. If your prospective employer has a lot of options they might see it as a red flag and pass. But if you get the opportunity to explain yourself and you have a good reason it shouldn’t be a big issue.

I must say I have never understood this “issue.” My wife is in pharmaceuticals and as a rule any employment gap is viewed as a huge red flag. As you pointed out there can be excellent reasons for someone to take a gap that speak directly to their character and commitment.

I always felt it was unfair, asking docs to explain this. Given the job market, It’ll probably get more common for Radonc attendings to have gaps here and there.

Reactions: 2 users
The moral of the story is don't quit your current job OR withdraw your name from jobs where you are under consideration unless you've an iron clad written guarantee of a new job.

I know personally of at least two people who made this mistake - one was royally screwed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The moral of the story is don't quit your current job OR withdraw your name from jobs where you are under consideration unless you've an iron clad written guarantee of a new job.

I know personally of at least two people who made this mistake - one was royally screwed.
Monkeys have this figured out. When you watch them swing through the trees, they never let go of one branch until they have the other one firmly in hand.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewer: "What was the reason for this 2 month lapse in employment in the summer of 2007?"

Me:
mind your business GIF