Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious.........Are you guys still ordering both amylase/lipase when you suspect pancreatitis?
I was doing a shift with my preceptor in the ED the other night and we had a chronic ETOH, drug abuser, overdose guy come in and after we woke him with Narcan he complained of epigastric pain and in his chart he had a history of pancreatitis.
The doc told me to only order a lipase as it is more specific. I've also seen this several times from senior medical students along with the same reasoning.
just curious.
later
I was doing a shift with my preceptor in the ED the other night and we had a chronic ETOH, drug abuser, overdose guy come in and after we woke him with Narcan he complained of epigastric pain and in his chart he had a history of pancreatitis.
The doc told me to only order a lipase as it is more specific. I've also seen this several times from senior medical students along with the same reasoning.
just curious.
later