An application as a comic relief for admissions committees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so is this really CRAZY:
I'm applying to schools with a 3.4 GPA, and...
MCATs of 24. Do I have aaaany chance of getting into ANY med school with these stats? I figured if nothing else, at least everyone will get a good laugh - especially those of you who are in the middle of exams! Seriously though, I would love any input at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I've been proved wrong a couple of times in the past couple days, so maybe you should take what I say with a grain of salt... :D

Anyway, I think you have a chance. Apply to your local state school, and with some really good extracirriculars, you should have a shot. At some point in time, there was a post on here with lowest MCAT scores that got accepted, and I think there were some beneath that.

Welcome to SDN!

It's probably best to do some cool extra curriculars (research, volunteer in a 3rd world nation, etc.), and retake the MCAT. Then apply with a good app. The app process is grueling and expensive, why do it twice?

Besides, what do you put down the second time around for extra curriculars:
"Well, in the past two year I have spent 20 hours a week applying to medical schools."

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, a lot depends on what state you're in. Some state schools that only take their own residents have MCAT averages <27. Most don't...but some do.

Yeah, I would definitely retake the MCAT; I applied the first time with a 3.6, 26 and did not get in anywhere (MD resident). I then brought it up to a 29 and got 2 late acceptances to allopathic schools. I thought about applying to Hopkins, Duke, and Wash U in order to give the admissions committees there a laugh; but alas such humor is too expensive :D good luck to you! BTW, I have a friend who applied with a 2.5 and an 18 if that makes you feel any better..

Thanks for the honest replies. Since I am so far into the application process, I shall continue anyhow, hoping for the best (a miracle?). I guess this is not the wisest thing to do. In fact, if I were reading these very words written by someone else, I would think to myself, this person is nuts! And yes, this sort of humor is a "bit" pricey.
Thus, I am also applying to D.O. schools. Is this settling? I guess if you want to be a physician, you'll try to accomplish your goal one way or another. Still, if you go the D.O. route, rather the M.D. route, does this mean you are not as bright to make it? Hmmm....
Well, thanks for all the kind words - I wish I had found this site long, long ago. If these are the people I will (hopefully) be spending the next four years with, I think things will be just fine!
To Brandonite (i'm sorry if I mis-spelled your screen-name) - thanks! ;)

Here is my med school miracle... I have around the same numbers as you (Crazed) - 26 MCAT, 3.45 GPA. I wasn't sure if I should even apply, but I am glad I did because I got into Penn State! So, my opinion is that if you have interesting ECs and an interesting essay, and probably some good recs, there are schools out there that will look at the full you, and not just your numbers. Good luck! :)

Ultimate_Freak (and anyone else who has some advice)

I have the exact same numbers as you. 3.45, and 26 (my break down is 9-phy, 10-bio, and 7-verbal) I also have lots of extra cirruculars and clincial experience. Do I have a chance?????? I am so worried. I am applying right now, but since my pre-health committee took forever to send my letters, my applications just got complete. Do you think that I will get interviews???

Please reply.

Parul

Originally posted by Crazed:
•Okay, so is this really CRAZY:
I'm applying to schools with a 3.4 GPA, and...
MCATs of 24. Do I have aaaany chance of getting into ANY med school with these stats? I figured if nothing else, at least everyone will get a good laugh - especially those of you who are in the middle of exams! Seriously though, I would love any input at all.•••

DO school no prob, or a low ranked MD state school. However, in FL, our state schools
(MD) like @ least a 3.8 and 30 MCAT. Ouch! harder than CA!

owcc16

Wow, Ultimate Freak - you really are a freak!! And I mean that in a good way. Thanks for the kind, kind words. I know everyone with stats like me is hoping for a miracle, but for some reason, I keep thinking that there is MORE to me than my scores - and I'm not just trying to make myself feel better. As is the case with relationships; I hope some equally 'crazed' com. member sees that little something in me to make them want me!!!! hehehe...

before you Cali kids have you way with him, let me defend owcc16 ;)
We do indeed have very high standards for state schools here in FL, but what makes them especially surprising is that the 3 publics (Florida, South Florida, Florida State) accepted 100% FL residents in recent years and out of a smaller applicant pool than CA.

That said, the CA schools defintely have higher MCAT averages than any public school system that I know of. Do you Cali folks have the averages handy for the UC's? It's sick from what I remember.

Originally posted by USeF the Bull:
•before you Cali kids have you way with him, let me defend owcc16 ;)
We do indeed have very high standards for state schools here in FL, but what makes them especially surprising is that the 3 publics (Florida, South Florida, Florida State) accepted 100% FL residents in recent years and out of a smaller applicant pool than CA.

That said, the CA schools defintely have higher MCAT averages than any public school system that I know of. Do you Cali folks have the averages handy for the UC's? It's sick from what I remember.•••

Totally agree with USeF here. I can't figure out the Florida schools for the life of me. Cali residents sure do have it tough, but Florida residents face an uphill battle as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Florida the 4th most populous state? Why the heck don't we have more med schools? I for one don't want to leave the state to go to med school, but will if I have to.
Which states have the most med schools? I'm guessing Cali, NY, Texas, Illinois, and Pennsylvania?

I think all the adcomm's are laughing at mine. You know it's going to be a great week when you receive 4 rejections on the same day.

Oh well, I have two interviews, and won't get disappointed until I get rejections from two certain schools.

Besides these thigns called finals are really depressing me.