Are Admission Committees Catching On to Resume-padding Non-profits/Businesses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ByThe+C

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not too long ago, volunteer medical mission trips to other countries were viewed favorably by admission committees. However, once a better understanding of the consequences of these trips came about, these have fallen out of favor and most became rightly labeled as 'voluntourism'.

However, I see a lot of applicants creating app-fodder non-profits and/or businesses that provide services that many existing organizations already do, even in the same area that an applicant comes from. A large number of the non-profits I see from other applicants are clear resume fodder created in an attempt to impress admissions committees and check off the 'self-starter' box. I would imagine that this becomes even more clear when you ask the applicant questions about their organization, e.g. "Who will run the non-profit while you are deep in 3rd year clinicals". Creating a non-profit aimed at 'providing X for the underserved' just to pad your resume feels dishonest and unethical.

Given how ubiquitous these are, are Adcoms becoming more suspicious or critical of this practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I always ask about a succession plan and how hard it was to get tax exempt status. It also goes under leadership, not service orientation... regardless of what the activity is. There's always an element of fundraising to non profit organizations as an executive... fundraising is not service orientation.

Lot of premed mentoring or test prep...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not too long ago, volunteer medical mission trips to other countries were viewed favorably by admission committees.
I don't remember this time.

Given how ubiquitous these are, are Adcoms becoming more suspicious or critical of this practice?
In would not use the term "ubiquitous" in reference to these experiences. There is a small subset of applicants who have done something significant in the non-profit space. Their work easily stands out.

There have always been padders, and they're usually simple to spot and call out.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, I ignore the non-profits thing.
For residency interviews, we had one applicant who started a company to help disabled people bicycle while in medical school. The business was non for profit, multiple patents, and super successful. He stepped down as ceo when he started applying for residencies.

He was extremely impressive and his business was viewed favorably. But, this is a n of 1 and very unique! Overall, I'd agree with Goro. 😉

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn’t say it’s always just for resume fodder, I’ve actually had classmates / know people who have continued their work w/ these even during med school / clinical years

Reactions: 1 user
I always ask about a succession plan and how hard it was to get tax exempt status. It also goes under leadership, not service orientation... regardless of what the activity is. There's always an element of fundraising to non profit organizations as an executive... fundraising is not service orientation.

Lot of premed mentoring or test prep...
But aren't some groups that some people make like a club? for instance, might not be under a business but I made a group where we gather and do activities in the community. Is that a red flag since its not under a business?

But aren't some groups that some people make like a club? for instance, might not be under a business but I made a group where we gather and do activities in the community. Is that a red flag since its not under a business?
Until you begin to file tax paperwork, you are probably just forming a campus club. Which is fine. I don't think that's what the original point is focused on.

Until you begin to file tax paperwork, you are probably just forming a campus club. Which is fine. I don't think that's what the original point is focused on.
its outside of campus holding at different places for the youth.

its outside of campus holding at different places for the youth.
Are you leading your peers? That's leadership. If you are telling a bunch of little kids what to do, that might be tutoring or non-clinical volunteering but it is not leadership anymore than being a classroom teacher is leadership.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you leading your peers? That's leadership. If you are telling a bunch of little kids what to do, that might be tutoring or non-clinical volunteering but it is not leadership anymore than being a classroom teacher is leadership.
yeah well we work with other adults to coordinate events.

Not too long ago, volunteer medical mission trips to other countries were viewed favorably by admission committees. However, once a better understanding of the consequences of these trips came about, these have fallen out of favor and most became rightly labeled as 'voluntourism'.

However, I see a lot of applicants creating app-fodder non-profits and/or businesses that provide services that many existing organizations already do, even in the same area that an applicant comes from. A large number of the non-profits I see from other applicants are clear resume fodder created in an attempt to impress admissions committees and check off the 'self-starter' box. I would imagine that this becomes even more clear when you ask the applicant questions about their organization, e.g. "Who will run the non-profit while you are deep in 3rd year clinicals". Creating a non-profit aimed at 'providing X for the underserved' just to pad your resume feels dishonest and unethical.

Resume padding and real achievement are very different. They look and smell very differently.

Reactions: 1 users