an enquiry for matriculated applicants

Started by prlester
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

P

prlester

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have an advisor for my school, so please entertain my question. My sci gpa is 3.53 and my overal 3.5. I also have some leadership positions and other volunteer


1. For LOR, since I am a non-traditional student, graduated 03, my science LORs are from an orgo prof from 01. I can get the letter updated to 06, but I have had no subsequent experience with the prof. Will this be looked down upon? I have been teaching English overseas since 03.

2. At the moment I am volunteering at a hospital pharm. I hope to do 12hr/week for 2 months, a total of 96hrs. However, I plan to apply in fall 07, for entering 08. Will the one year age of the pharm experience be looked down upon, or is this amount of pharm volunteering not enough?

3. Finally, I will get a LOR from my manager at the school I teach English at. Would this be better than another older, but good LOR, from 01 by another science professor?

If necessary, I could apply this fall for entering 07, but I would prefer not to unless this puts me at a disadvantage.
 
prlester said:
I don't have an advisor for my school, so please entertain my question. My sci gpa is 3.53 and my overal 3.5. I also have some leadership positions and other volunteer


1. For LOR, since I am a non-traditional student, graduated 03, my science LORs are from an orgo prof from 01. I can get the letter updated to 06, but I have had no subsequent experience with the prof. Will this be looked down upon? I have been teaching English overseas since 03.

2. At the moment I am volunteering at a hospital pharm. I hope to do 12hr/week for 2 months, a total of 96hrs. However, I plan to apply in fall 07, for entering 08. Will the one year age of the pharm experience be looked down upon, or is this amount of pharm volunteering not enough?

3. Finally, I will get a LOR from my manager at the school I teach English at. Would this be better than another older, but good LOR, from 01 by another science professor?

If necessary, I could apply this fall for entering 07, but I would prefer not to unless this puts me at a disadvantage.

Ok - some opinions - take them for what their worth!

1..Your letter of recommendation from a science professor is 5 years old ('01) - probably not good

2..Your letter of recommendation fromt the ESL position that you occupied from '03-present - this gives you evidence of a committment to a course of action. No - I don't belive this is better nor worse than the LOR of a science professor - it gives evidence of a committment only.

3..Your volunteer experience...why are you limiting yourself to 2 months only? It takes a month, at least, if you are only working 12 hours/wk to become familiar with the most basic of technician duties. If you only work 2 months....it show to me not only a lack of committment, but a lack of desire to become proficient in the tasks necessary to be a great tech.

What have you done with your degree??? How are you going to correlate the degree with what you have done in the years since you've received it????

There are too many unanswered questions for me and I would think for the admissions committee as well....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ive been out of school since 2003, a BA in history. I taught school for a couple years. Then worked for a state agency for a year. In the mean time I volunteered in a hospital, non pharm. I wanted to pay off student loans and travel before school.

The sci recomendation is old, but solid. I could get it redated. Also, I have taken some remaining prereqs this summer.
 
One of my two LORs was written by a former supervisor in a job I had that had nothing whatsoever to do with pharmacy. However, I knew that this person would write me a really good LOR, and I gave her a few suggestions about how she might relate what I did on that job to the attributes that I would need in a pharmacy job (i.e. customer service, multi-tasking, working independently), etc.) I don't think it hurt me in the least that I did not have a science LOR.