An enquiry!~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDLawrence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
I would like to ask some questions concerning the Doctor of Medicine offered by Canadian universities:
1) I am a Hong Kong resident who have obtained the Bachelor of Economics and Finance (Hons) with the minor Biology. I would like to ask am I eligible to apply? Is there any more requirements for the admission?
2) What is the tuition fees for the programme per year?
3) How many students will be admitted each year? How many places will be distributed to the international students? Which schools will enrol international stduents???

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, only 3 school in Canada take international students: McMaster, Toronto and McGill. I've heard that McMaster rarely accepts internationals. Toronto says that they take up to 7 but I think that's extremely uncommon (there are 2 international students in my class at UofT). McGill takes a lot but they are mostly American.

So I would suggest you look into these 3 schools, but unfortunately your chances are very slim.

If you're going to practice in the UK or HK, don't even bother applying. You're wasting Canadian taxpayers' money, and have a low chance of getting accepted unless you have an incredible app.

Members don't see this ad :)
rskhan29 said:
If you're going to practice in the UK or HK, don't even bother applying. You're wasting Canadian taxpayers' money, and have a low chance of getting accepted unless you have an incredible app.

That's pretty negative, but unfortunately the harsh reality is that it's very difficult to get in as a Canadian student, nevermind an international student. However, don't let that stop you because the facts are that some do get in, that'd certainly be enough for me to apply. Good luck.

MDLawrence said:
Dear all,
I would like to ask some questions concerning the Doctor of Medicine offered by Canadian universities:
1) I am a Hong Kong resident who have obtained the Bachelor of Economics and Finance (Hons) with the minor Biology. I would like to ask am I eligible to apply? Is there any more requirements for the admission?
2) What is the tuition fees for the programme per year?
3) How many students will be admitted each year? How many places will be distributed to the international students? Which schools will enrol international stduents???
You'll be applying to a different applicant pool from Canadian citizens, so you'll be competing with other internationals. That does not mean it's easy to gain admission, but the selection factors are slightly different. There are usually only around 10 places for internationals at each school. You will also pay much higher tuition than a Canadian citizen. McGill, University of Toronto, and Memorial are three medical schools you should look at. I would forget about McMaster; they placed their international applicant pool "on hold" mid-cylce a couple of years ago.....don't be tempted by their 'no MCAT, no prereq.' status.

SMRT said:
As far as I know, only 3 school in Canada take international students: McMaster, Toronto and McGill. I've heard that McMaster rarely accepts internationals. Toronto says that they take up to 7 but I think that's extremely uncommon (there are 2 international students in my class at UofT). McGill takes a lot but they are mostly American.

So I would suggest you look into these 3 schools, but unfortunately your chances are very slim.

F-McMaster!!!! they don't!! :)