An important Behavioural Science Question ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focused1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
60 yr old man...new patient..comes in to the clinic for his first visit. You are a 25 year old resident in charge of the clinic. He sits down and before you can say a word...he says:
You look too young...what do you know ?
What is you best response.

I tried to find the answer but couldn't...in BRS behav..its given that young physician age is an important factor for non-adherence... an older physician age is an important factor for better adherence.. I couldnt find a best response though..

Members don't see this ad.

When you have an angry patient (for whatever silly reason) like that you have to look for a non-defensive, empathic way that acknowledges their feelings with an attempt to build a good relationship. For this specific situation you would want to say something like "I understand why you're upset, let's talk about your concerns or address any questions you may have."

Edit: It's important to not say something like "I assure you I'm adequate" or "I assure you, you're getting the best care" because that is a defensive stance.... And apparently USMLE doesn't want that.

Reactions: 2 users
When you have an angry patient (for whatever silly reason) like that you have to look for a non-defensive, empathic way that acknowledges their feelings with an attempt to build a good relationship. For this specific situation you would want to say something like "I understand why you're upset, let's talk about your concerns or address any questions you may have."

Edit: It's important to not say something like "I assure you I'm adequate" or "I assure you, you're getting the best care" because that is a defensive stance.... And apparently USMLE doesn't want that.

Thanks a lot !