An interesting thing happened with an ER RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A staff member, as a patient, does not have the right to look at their own records? So much for a patient's bill of rights....
Show me where in the "patient's bill of rights" it gives anyone that isn't a provider a right to look in their records at will. If someone wants the results they can go to medical records and request a copy just like the rest of the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Show me where in the "patient's bill of rights" it gives anyone that isn't a provider a right to look in their records at will. If someone wants the results they can go to medical records and request a copy just like the rest of the world.

They would go to medical records except they can't since the staff member works in medical records. :p

Tell me, what are good, logical reasons why a staff member couldn't look at his or her own medical records?

-Theft of a record is a different violation
-Looking at someone else's record? ditto

I'm interested in understanding the reasons for such a policy.

Calling is one thing ... it allows for peoples' time schedules. They can call you back if they can't talk at that moment. But how would you feel if, say, a pre-med walked into your office and wanted to ask you questions about med school applications? Or if a med student came in to ask you for advice on matching residencies? Or if another MD/DO came in for advice on searching for work in your area? Or if they wanted to speak to you for some pain management advice? Wouldn't you find it the slight bit odd that they hadn't called, or at least called before they came? Granted, I think calling security was uncalled for ... it would have no doubt been different if you had been there for medical care, as most Docs get ushered in ahead of others!

I'll do you one better.

I have nurses, medical students, residents and international medical graduates (IMGs) in my practice on a regular basis for teaching purposes. I am proud to say that I have been partially responsible for getting IMGs into the Canadian medical system (which is not an easy feat).

Having been in a somewhat isolated position in my solo practice for a period of time, I guess I didn't realize we weren't all on the same team.

Members don't see this ad :)
They would go to medical records except they can't since the staff member works in medical records. :p

Tell me, what are good, logical reasons why a staff member couldn't look at his or her own medical records?

-Theft of a record is a different violation
-Looking at someone else's record? ditto

I'm interested in understanding the reasons for such a policy.

Easy: psych records. MDs are allowed to censor records if we believe that a patient seeing it would cause harm.

Besides, its a fairness issue. The general public can't just log into a computer and get their records so we really shouldn't be able to either.

I have nurses, medical students, residents and international medical graduates (IMGs) in my practice on a regular basis for teaching purposes. I am proud to say that I have been partially responsible for getting IMGs into the Canadian medical system (which is not an easy feat).

While that's all commendable, those are completely different situations. Did they just walk in, ask to speak with you, and start right then and there? No. They went through the proper channels, they didn't just show up in your office with briefcase in hand.

While that's all commendable, those are completely different situations. Did they just walk in, ask to speak with you, and start right then and there? No. They went through the proper channels, they didn't just show up in your office with briefcase in hand.

Actually, one IMG did just this; I admired her initiative, and offered her an elective when my schedule permitted. This physician eventually entered the Canadian medical system; this endeavour certainly paid dividends for her.

As I have stated previously, working in private practice allows me to engage my brain and use less of the rigorous protocols compared to that of the hospital based setting.

Actually, one IMG did just this; I admired her initiative, and offered her an elective when my schedule permitted. This physician eventually entered the Canadian medical system; this endeavour certainly paid dividends for her.

As I have stated previously, working in private practice allows me to engage my brain and use less of the rigorous protocols compared to that of the hospital based setting.

Or maybe you're just anti-social and arrogant.

Or maybe you're just anti-social and arrogant.

Uh-huh. Your statement doesn't really doesn't make sense. :thumbdown:

How is it arrogant to help peeps out? Nonsense.

After talking to some IMGs, it is pretty shameful how unwilling a lot of attendings are to provide a helping hand to this group of MDs. I even heard that a relative of one of these MDs was unwilling to take them on. Nice.

I like to help out (potential) fellow colleagues, and teaching breaks up the clinic day nicely. It also keeps me up to speed on clinical and academic topics. Cool beans.

Ah well .. ya got me there ;) Still, the world is as it is ... not everyone is like you or I.

Easy: psych records. MDs are allowed to censor records if we believe that a patient seeing it would cause harm.

Besides, its a fairness issue. The general public can't just log into a computer and get their records so we really shouldn't be able to either.

Psych records are a small subset of all hospital records.

Fairness? Never thought of hospitals as striving for fairness. Geez, they charge $50 for a Tylenol pill.

"The general public can't just log into a computer and get their records so we really shouldn't be able to either."

Perhaps they should be able to (psych case duly noted as exception).

I hope this wasn't meant to be a blanket statement, because there are several health organizations of which I'm aware/have been involved that actually encourage this. It comes with: the same dictated notes/patient visit information that a printout of charts would, lab data and analysis, certain images.

I hope this wasn't meant to be a blanket statement, because there are several health organizations of which I'm aware/have been involved that actually encourage this. It comes with: the same dictated notes/patient visit information that a printout of charts would, lab data and analysis, certain images.

As it should be. A patient should have access to their records (with exception noted) and online access would be great. I have online access to my test results and a few other pieces of information.