RN program or wait an application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitecatBlackcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, in the future I want to work in surgery or maybe anesthesia. I had planned on applying to PA school but right now I am not the strongest applicant . I had planned working over the next year and retaking classes, then applying to PA school next application cycle. But, a few weeks ago I was accepted to an accelerated BSN program. I had never really planned on being an RN, but if I did this program I could then go out and gain really valuable patient care hours. The only downside is that the program costs around $80,000 (living expenses included). What would be the better option for me? I could do this program and I think it would really improve my application for PA school ( or open doors for NP). Or I could not do the program and just hope that everything goes well next application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, in the future I want to work in surgery or maybe anesthesia. I had planned on applying to PA school but right now I am not the strongest applicant . I had planned working over the next year and retaking classes, then applying to PA school next application cycle. But, a few weeks ago I was accepted to an accelerated BSN program. I had never really planned on being an RN, but if I did this program I could then go out and gain really valuable patient care hours. The only downside is that the program costs around $80,000 (living expenses included). What would be the better option for me? I could do this program and I think it would really improve my application for PA school ( or open doors for NP). Or I could not do the program and just hope that everything goes well next application cycle.
That’s tough. How long is the RN program?

Members don't see this ad :)
The length of the program is good, but $80,000 is really steep if you then go on to Pa school, which will likely cost you at least $100,000. It could be worth is possibly if you then go to a $30,000 Np program.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a 12 month program, which means I could start working pretty quickly
Yes, that is a short program, but you really have to think about what your end goal is. If it’s to become a PA, then you need to take the year off and boost your application so that you make sure you get into a PA program next cycle.

Yes, that is a short program, but you really have to think about what your end goal is. If it’s to become a PA, then you need to take the year off and boost your application so that you make sure you get into a PA program next cycle.
That was my original plan but with how competitve it is I'm worried that even with retaking courses I won't get in next cycle. Right now I only have around 200 PCE hours and that's another strike against my application

Reactions: 1 user
The length of the program is good, but $80,000 is really steep if you then go on to Pa school, which will likely cost you at least $100,000. It could be worth is possibly if you then go to a $30,000 Np program.
That's a good idea. I didn't know there were NP programs that affordable. I'll have to look into it. I also posted another thread a few months ago about PAs and NPs in surgery. Do you know which NP concentration is best for someone going into surgery?

That's a good idea. I didn't know there were NP programs that affordable. I'll have to look into it. I also posted another thread a few months ago about PAs and NPs in surgery. Do you know which NP concentration is best for someone going into surgery?

To start with, I think that surgery is possible with an Np degree, but just be aware that the most common non physician provider there is going to be the PA. That doesn’t mean that you can’t get into the surgical environment as a nurse, just that it may vary as to what profession has the greatest presence. Where I live, PAs tend to be the most common nonphysician provider in surgery. I know several FNPs and RN first assist’s that work there, but they aren’t as common. However, they don’t seem to have a hard time getting a job. But I also know quite a few NPs that work for surgeons that don’t go into surgery, and instead, they see patients in the clinic, or round on them after surgery, and leave the surgery work to the PAs.

If you want to do anesthesia, this may be a blessing in disguise. You can’t do anesthesia as a PA, you would have to apply for an AA program... with a BSN, if you work as an RN for two years, you could apply to a CRNA program.

Reactions: 1 users
Just looking at a financial aspect I would not do the accelerated RN program for $80,000. That is crazy talk and you would struggle for 5-10 years trying to pay this off. It sounds like a short time on paper, but it really is not and is a struggle for most PAs in their daily life due to the amount of loans we have. I would wait and go to a cheaper and more likely better RN program and then go to NP school or go to PA school with a getting your pre-med reqs out of the way. Or just not go the RN route and get HCE at least 1,000+ hours (minimum) then apply to PA school. Also, have you ever looked into paramedic school or respiratory therapy school?

Just looking at a financial aspect I would not do the accelerated RN program for $80,000. That is crazy talk and you would struggle for 5-10 years trying to pay this off. It sounds like a short time on paper, but it really is not and is a struggle for most PAs in their daily life due to the amount of loans we have. I would wait and go to a cheaper and more likely better RN program and then go to NP school or go to PA school with a getting your pre-med reqs out of the way. Or just not go the RN route and get HCE at least 1,000+ hours (minimum) then apply to PA school. Also, have you ever looked into paramedic school or respiratory therapy school?
I have looked into paramedic school but could not find any near me. I haven't looked into RT school but will do some research. I took most of the premed prereqs( except physics and calc) and am sitting in the 2.75<GPA<3.0 range

I have looked into paramedic school but could not find any near me. I haven't looked into RT school but will do some research. I took most of the premed prereqs( except physics and calc) and am sitting in the 2.75<GPA<3.0 range

That’s too low to qualify for almost any PA school, even with good HCE. You would spend years on health care experience and still not get ahead of anyone else.

There are things that PA school is and isn’t. It isn’t tremendously difficult per se. Work ethic gets you most of the way through it. But it’s a line of study that opens the door to jobs that consistently pay in the neighborhood of $90k near the start, and in many cases more. Compared to many other careers (maybe even most other careers), that’s a great wage to start at. I have a friend who started as a PA recently that made $120k. That’s more than most of the jobs on a list of highest paying degrees in the tech industry, and certainly higher than what they had listed that those folks start at. Consequently, word has gotten out, and you have at least 10 applicants for every SEAT in PA schools. What that means is that for every seat you apply for and don’t get, you and the 8 other folks that didn’t get the seat then go on to compete for the next seat with 10 new people, on top of the 8 that didn’t get the first seat. Keep going down the line like that until 60 or so seats are filled. That’s the dilemma. So after those seats are filled up, you are looking at 540 people sitting around with no place to go. Your GPA unfortunately doesn’t even put you in the top 20% of folks applying. It’s not a reflection on you as a person, just an acknowledgement of the reality of the situation where a lot of folks want to be a PA. You probably could get through school just fine, but PA programs really have no choice but to pick among the best candidates. Grades are some of the most reasonable ways to base the lions share of the decision on. Time only makes things harder. There was a time when you’d find somewhere that would let you onboard, but that was a long time before everyone decided they wanted to throw their hats into the ring. Unfortunately, PA school prerequisites allow a lot of folks to apply without a lot of effort. They haven’t baked in a lot of room for redemption if you don’t have the grades. It’s key to start early and hammer out good grades from the start. College isn’t the game it used to be.

But, there are other avenues to take to get a good job, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

That’s too low to qualify for almost any PA school, even with good HCE. You would spend years on health care experience and still not get ahead of anyone else.

There are things that PA school is and isn’t. It isn’t tremendously difficult per se. Work ethic gets you most of the way through it. But it’s a line of study that opens the door to jobs that consistently pay in the neighborhood of $90k near the start, and in many cases more. Compared to many other careers (maybe even most other careers), that’s a great wage to start at. I have a friend who started as a PA recently that made $120k. That’s more than most of the jobs on a list of highest paying degrees in the tech industry, and certainly higher than what they had listed that those folks start at. Consequently, word has gotten out, and you have at least 10 applicants for every SEAT in PA schools. What that means is that for every seat you apply for and don’t get, you and the 8 other folks that didn’t get the seat then go on to compete for the next seat with 10 new people, on top of the 8 that didn’t get the first seat. Keep going down the line like that until 60 or so seats are filled. That’s the dilemma. So after those seats are filled up, you are looking at 540 people sitting around with no place to go. Your GPA unfortunately doesn’t even put you in the top 20% of folks applying. It’s not a reflection on you as a person, just an acknowledgement of the reality of the situation where a lot of folks want to be a PA. You probably could get through school just fine, but PA programs really have no choice but to pick among the best candidates. Grades are some of the most reasonable ways to base the lions share of the decision on. Time only makes things harder. There was a time when you’d find somewhere that would let you onboard, but that was a long time before everyone decided they wanted to throw their hats into the ring. Unfortunately, PA school prerequisites allow a lot of folks to apply without a lot of effort. They haven’t baked in a lot of room for redemption if you don’t have the grades. It’s key to start early and hammer out good grades from the start. College isn’t the game it used to be.

But, there are other avenues to take to get a good job, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking. I could spend years working on my application and still not be accepted because of how competitive it is now. I think it will only get worse in the coming years

Members don't see this ad :)

New RN's start at >50k/year
80K is a lot, but if it shortens the amount of education by 2 years it would absolutely pay off. It would take discipline to live off of ~15k/year after completing the BSN, but if that could be done the 80k could be payed off comfortably in a few years, while allowing a hospital to pay for additional classes (to pursue PA) or having the hospital help pay for NP (an easier path at that point, as it likely wouldn't require GPA repair if OP does well in the BSN).

• Haha
New RN's start at >50k/year
80K is a lot, but if it shortens the amount of education by 2 years it would absolutely pay off. It would take discipline to live off of ~15k/year after completing the BSN, but if that could be done the 80k could be payed off comfortably in a few years, while allowing a hospital to pay for additional classes (to pursue PA) or having the hospital help pay for NP (an easier path at that point, as it likely wouldn't require GPA repair if OP does well in the BSN).
Awful financial advise. Yea keep dreaming anyone could force themselves to love off 15k a year. When you graduate and make over 200k please live off 35k. Get back with me when you have completed that task. Doctors make some of the worst financial advise and would never listen to what you just said. That is insane that would actually think this was a good plan. This is why doctors and most everyone else is in debt. Listen to Dave Rasmey.

Awful financial advise. Yea keep dreaming anyone could force themselves to love off 15k a year. When you graduate and make over 200k please live off 35k. Get back with me when you have completed that task. Doctors make some of the worst financial advise and would never listen to what you just said. That is insane that would actually think this was a good plan. This is why doctors and most everyone else is in debt. Listen to Dave Rasmey.

I already live off 15k/year, so try again.
LOL.

You assume I don't listen to dave ramsey already... But in fact you'll find my financial advice is better than I deserve.

I already live off 15k/year, so try again.
LOL.

You assume I don't listen to dave ramsey already... But in fact you'll find my financial advice is better than I deserve.
It's easy to live off 15k as a student. Re-read again the above post. It will help your through medical school if you read slower. I said when you graduate and make 200k+ trying living off 35k. That's what your saying for that RN. And your 50k is alot around the midwest. My wife started out ad a RN at $19-20 per hour 5 years ago. But if you did listen to Dave you would know to NOT go to a school that cost 80k when there are cheaper schools. He literally has several YouTube videos on this topic alone.

It's easy to live off 15k as a student. Re-read again the above post. It will help your through medical school if you read slower. I said when you graduate and make 200k+ trying living off 35k. That's what your saying for that RN. And your 50k is alot around the midwest. My wife started out ad a RN at $19-20 per hour 5 years ago. But if you did listen to Dave you would know to NOT go to a school that cost 80k when there are cheaper schools. He literally has several YouTube videos on this topic alone.

Sorry, you don't get to tell me what will help in medical school; you don't have any experience in that regard. Also, you're trying to argue with someone on a topic that I actually *LIVED OUT* when for you it's just an excuse to flex.

I actually lived on less than 15k when I was employed as a nurse, so actually it's not hard at all. Average starting salary is actually quite a bit >50k in most areas now.

80k seems like a lot until you realize what OPPORTUNITY COST is. Having an extra year of RN experience is worth more than the savings in education if the plan is to pursue graduate education. This involves actual planning and knowing your stuff, which it's obvious isn't your strong suit as you try to argue via conjecture about something I've lived firsthand. lol.

Had I graduated with my RN one year prior, I would tack on one year to my MD salary earning. At an average of 250k/yr do you think that initial 80k (that can be repaid in the process) would be a good investment?

As a side note, this is unfortunately a realm where Dave Ramsey's beliefs breaks down. He actually doesn't believe anyone should go to medical school with loans, which is unreasonable for 90% of students.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, you don't get to tell me what will help in medical school; you don't have any experience in that regard. Also, you're trying to argue with someone on a topic that I actually *LIVED OUT* when for you it's just an excuse to flex.

I actually lived on less than 15k when I was employed as a nurse, so actually it's not hard at all. Average starting salary is actually quite a bit >50k in most areas now.

80k seems like a lot until you realize what OPPORTUNITY COST is. Having an extra year of RN experience is worth more than the savings in education if the plan is to pursue graduate education. This involves actual planning and knowing your stuff, which it's obvious isn't your strong suit as you try to argue via conjecture about something I've lived firsthand. lol.

Had I graduated with my RN one year prior, I would tack on one year to my MD salary earning. At an average of 250k/yr do you think that initial 80k (that can be repaid in the process) would be a good investment?

As a side note, this is unfortunately a realm where Dave Ramsey's beliefs breaks down. He actually doesn't believe anyone should go to medical school with loans, which is unreasonable for 90% of students.

Slow clap for hitting the nail on the head. Midwestpac tends to “flex”... then gives poor advice consisting of misguided rants about RNs or NPs. You might have noticed the theme. I was left chuckling as he jumped to conclusions and ignored what you said, failed to make the connection with your screen name, then accused you of not paying attention to detail. I like to say that he lacks self awareness, which is being generous sometimes.

Dave Ramsey gives advice about medical professions that don’t reflect the reality of circumstances today, just as you highlighted. One really has to dive into the spirit of his opinions, which consist of being frugal, avoiding superfluous debt, and carrying those two traits with you well after graduation. If someone waits to have enough money to cash flow medical school, all doctors would be finishing residency at age 44 at a minimum. Ramsey bears the burden of having to preach good advice to an audience that is looking for literally any loophole to work around to maintain their bad habits. Nuance is something lost on midwestPaC, so he’s quick to argue for universal application of Ramsey’s approach. As a general rule, I wouldn’t suggest an $80,000 RN program, but the exceptions I see as worthwhile are exactly the ones you laid out. It can be well worth it if there is a plan laid out that one is determined to adhere to. Case in point, my situation:
My RN school cost <$10,000 total (work paid for it). My first year as an RN, with some overtime I made over $70,000 in a fairly low cost of living state. Obviously, that circumstance of having cheap school while I worked full time is optimal. But if I was forced to have waited two years to get into that program, it would have been better for me to have immediately gone to the local ABSN program that cost over $50,000. Two years of wages at around $70,000 and $75,000 respectively more than cover the $50,000 tuition while allowing for some decent living expenses. Unfortunately, many people have the tendency to forgo being frugal after their first payday. You see it with nurses, PAs, and physicians. But that’s their prerogative to make poor choices. Nobody has to do that, and nobody should. Same goes for when you take out student loans. But just like you have to invest money to make money, you have to look at where you want to be down the road and decide if it makes sense to spin your wheels making $30k as a medical assistant (and saving $8,000 per year), or jump into the world of making up to $100k as an RN hitting a bunch of extra shifts (while socking away $30,000 per year to pay down debt). Dave Ramsey also says that the best way to improve your lot in life is to increase your income, and I kept that in mind alongside two other principles he touts, which is stay out of debt, and live frugal at every opportunity.

Wow you just went off on something that is literally not even on topic. Are you sure you are reading the post before posting? Yes I can tell anyone how to save money and it doesn't matter if your in medical school or not. I have experience is money and college. Again dont really care what you do. My point was your telling pre nursing people its smart to go to a very expensive nursing program when financially that is terrible advise as they will not be making enough money to live and pay that debt off quick. Your better off going to a cheaper school with same results.
Your analogy of RN to MD has zero weight on giving advise to pre RN students and that they can pay the loans off quick because you as a medical will be able to. Do you even hear yourself talk? Of course you could pay the loans off with that money but a nurse wont be making that when they graduate. Come on. I hope your smarter than that. I'm not even going down this rabbit hole with you. Your logic is not sound.

Last edited:
Slow clap for hitting the nail on the head. Midwestpac tends to “flex”... then gives poor advice consisting of misguided rants about RNs or NPs. You might have noticed the theme. I was left chuckling as he jumped to conclusions and ignored what you said, failed to make the connection with your screen name, then accused you of not paying attention to detail. I like to say that he lacks self awareness, which is being generous sometimes.

Dave Ramsey gives advice about medical professions that don’t reflect the reality of circumstances today, just as you highlighted. One really has to dive into the spirit of his opinions, which consist of being frugal, avoiding superfluous debt, and carrying those two traits with you well after graduation. If someone waits to have enough money to cash flow medical school, all doctors would be finishing residency at age 44 at a minimum. Ramsey bears the burden of having to preach good advice to an audience that is looking for literally any loophole to work around to maintain their bad habits. Nuance is something lost on midwestPaC, so he’s quick to argue for universal application of Ramsey’s approach. As a general rule, I wouldn’t suggest an $80,000 RN program, but the exceptions I see as worthwhile are exactly the ones you laid out. It can be well worth it if there is a plan laid out that one is determined to adhere to. Case in point, my situation:
My RN school cost <$10,000 total (work paid for it). My first year as an RN, with some overtime I made over $70,000 in a fairly low cost of living state. Obviously, that circumstance of having cheap school while I worked full time is optimal. But if I was forced to have waited two years to get into that program, it would have been better for me to have immediately gone to the local ABSN program that cost over $50,000. Two years of wages at around $70,000 and $75,000 respectively more than cover the $50,000 tuition while allowing for some decent living expenses. Unfortunately, many people have the tendency to forgo being frugal after their first payday. You see it with nurses, PAs, and physicians. But that’s their prerogative to make poor choices. Nobody has to do that, and nobody should. Same goes for when you take out student loans. But just like you have to invest money to make money, you have to look at where you want to be down the road and decide if it makes sense to spin your wheels making $30k as a medical assistant (and saving $8,000 per year), or jump into the world of making up to $100k as an RN hitting a bunch of extra shifts (while socking away $30,000 per year to pay down debt). Dave Ramsey also says that the best way to improve your lot in life is to increase your income, and I kept that in mind alongside two other principles he touts, which is stay out of debt, and live frugal at every opportunity.
Again never said to cash flow medical school and nor did Dave. He says try not to go to a private school etc. RNs around my area dont make anywhere near 50 or 70k. They make around 35k starting out for full time (36 hrs). So it doesnt cover the cost for a school that much where I live. Remember cost of living also...
Making 100k and putting away 30k for loans is not what the Rn to Md was stating. He was saying to live off 15k while making 80k. So if you make 100k then you should be putting more like 50k to loans after taxes.

Last edited:
Again never said to cash flow medical school and nor did Dave. He says try not to go to a private school etc. RNs around my area dont make anywhere near 50 or 70k. They make around 35k starting out. So it doesnt cover the cost for a school that much where I live. Remember cost of living also...
Making 100k and putting away 30k for loans is not what the Rn to Md was stating. He was saying to live off 15k while making 80k. So if you make 100k then you should be putting more like 50k to loans after taxes.

Tell me some places in the country where RNs make $35k starting out. You’d have to search very hard to find that compared to me having to look nearly everywhere to find RNs making at least $55k, especially in Michigan. Your tendency is to revert to the lowest stats you can find, but even that doesn’t pass the smell test, especially for me living in a state that isn’t known for particularly high wages. $35k for s family of four is near the poverty level. Nice try, but that’s not the norm in the nation. There are all sorts of ways to boost your pay as a nurse... overtime that is plentiful, night shift differential, weekend differential, second jobs if necessary, moving up the ladder into charge nurse positions and management. I don’t even know how someone can make $35k as a nurse working full time.

Everything you are arguing against here goes against actual lived experience of nurses, and you still persist to fight against what you don’t know. What RNthenDoc said was completely within topic. Nobody knows where you are coming from when you barge in and say this stuff. The troll factor is high with you.

Tell me some places in the country where RNs make $35k starting out. You’d have to search very hard to find that compared to me having to look nearly everywhere to find RNs making at least $55k, especially in Michigan. Your tendency is to revert to the lowest stats you can find, but even that doesn’t pass the smell test, especially for me living in a state that isn’t known for particularly high wages. $35k for s family of four is near the poverty level. Nice try, but that’s not the norm in the nation. There are all sorts of ways to boost your pay as a nurse... overtime that is plentiful, night shift differential, weekend differential, second jobs if necessary, moving up the ladder into charge nurse positions and management. I don’t even know how someone can make $35k as a nurse working full time.

Everything you are arguing against here goes against actual lived experience of nurses, and you still persist to fight against what you don’t know. What RNthenDoc said was completely within topic. Nobody knows where you are coming from when you barge in and say this stuff. The troll factor is high with you.
I can show you several places within a 100 mile radius of me that RNs start at 35 to 40k per year. Again these are not the lowest tests these are my area where I live. Keep calling me a troll and name calling etc but the truth is the truth. Why would I need to lie about this when my wife kicked this way for several years prior to me graduating PA school and her finishing NP school. Why did you bring Michigan in to this? I dont even live in that state. You assumed I lived there based off the passing of PA laws but your assumption was and is wrong once again. Keep trying to belittle me and discredit me. I have nothing to prove to you as my facts are facts.

I can show you several places within a 100 mile radius of me that RNs start at 35 to 40k per year. Again these are not the lowest tests these are my area where I live. Keep calling me a troll and name calling etc but the truth is the truth. Why would I need to lie about this when my wife kicked this way for several years prior to me graduating PA school and her finishing NP school. Why did you bring Michigan in to this? I dont even live in that state. You assumed I lived there based off the passing of PA laws but your assumption was and is wrong once again. Keep trying to belittle me and discredit me. I have nothing to prove to you as my facts are facts.

If someone is smart enough to do an NP, they are smart enough to find an RN job that pays more than 35k/year.

I’m coming at you with personal experience and data, and you’re throwing around conjecture that you feel like you’re qualified to make because of the chip on your shoulder.

If someone is smart enough to do an NP, they are smart enough to find an RN job that pays more than 35k/year.

I’m coming at you with personal experience and data, and you’re throwing around conjecture that you feel like you’re qualified to make because of the chip on your shoulder.
Evidence comes from being married to a RN that made that much. Having a relative that makes that much. Asking several of my friends that are currently nurses or NPs or CRNAS. In my area that's what they pay. You can post data all you want buddy but it's not always accurate. How much more proof does one need? I litteraly can look up on one website and it says average salary of $75k per year and the next 3 say $35-45k per year for my area. Please stop attacking me as this has been already discussed. Your late to the game.

Evidence comes from being married to a RN that made that much. Having a relative that makes that much. Asking several of my friends that are currently nurses or NPs or CRNAS. In my area that's what they pay. You can post data all you want buddy but it's not always accurate. How much more proof does one need? I litteraly can look up on one website and it says average salary of $75k per year and the next 3 say $35-45k per year for my area. Please stop attacking me as this has been already discussed. Your late to the game.

Your experiences with nursing are tangential anecdotes.

Mine is firsthand, multistate, and multidisciplinary.

Anybody making 35k as an RN is being taken to the cleaners, even in Iowa. You haven’t been able to address any of my points, so I’m going to stop engaging you on this topic unless you have any evidence.

Anybody making 35k as an RN is being taken to the cleaners, even in Iowa. You haven’t been able to address any of my points, so I’m going to stop engaging you on this topic unless you have any evidence.

RNthenDoc,

Don't you find it ironic when non nurses try to tell you how nursing life is? No point in arguing with him when his "facts" are based off people he knows vs. our firsthand experience as actual nurses. No one in their right mind as a nurse would settle to work for only 35K a year with all the stress we deal with on a daily basis. When I became an RN several years ago, my starting salary was 60K, and I also live in the Midwest.

I’m glad y’all make/made good money.

I make $26.15/hr with 10 years of experience - I only make this much because I left and came back, haven’t had a raise in 3 years since I’ve returned. We get a $400ish bonus once a year if we prevent falls and patients “perceive” us washing our hands in order to distract us from the hold on salaries. I started at $18.80 and left at $19.20 with 5 years of BSN experience. My hospital is currently offering $19 for new grads. Last week I was offered a non benefited job for $18 at a boutique clinic. The only RN position that would increase my salary would be home health infusion therapy or hospice. Working for the plastic surgeons is a unicorn job. I’m in a high cost of living area for my state. Leaving the area isn’t a possibility for me, otherwise I’d be in med school.

The nurses in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi make pennies. Parts of Tennessee do alright. Not sure about the other southeastern states. Our CEO makes 7 figures. Physicians here make well above the national average and get their hands held by admin -totally recommend, high quality of life for doctors. APPs are paid at the national average.

I make $26.15/hr with 10 years of experience - I only make this much because I left and came back, haven’t had a raise in 3 years since I’ve returned. We get a $400ish bonus once a year if we prevent falls and patients “perceive” us washing our hands in order to distract us from the hold on salaries. I started at $18.80 and left at $19.20 with 5 years of BSN experience. My hospital is currently offering $19 for new grads. Last week I was offered a non benefited job for $18 at a boutique clinic. The only RN position that would increase my salary would be home health infusion therapy or hospice. Working for the plastic surgeons is a unicorn job. I’m in a high cost of living area for my state. Leaving the area isn’t a possibility for me, otherwise I’d be in med school.

The nurses in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi make pennies. Parts of Tennessee do alright. Not sure about the other southeastern states. Our CEO makes 7 figures. Physicians here make well above the national average and get their hands held by admin -totally recommend, high quality of life for doctors. APPs are paid at the national average.

Sorry you’re in a rough spot!

Even with that wage, though, you make 45k, which is a HUGE bump over 35k. Also, adding a fourth shift would bring you up to almost 65k/year.

I recognize that not everyone can do 4 12s, but making 45k with the opportunity to make 65k is a far, far cry from 35k/year!

Again, I do feel bad that you’re not in an ideal spot, though! I know there are some places with a lot less demand.

So just cause I am not a nurse doesnt mean I can ask my wife or my friends that are. Or I could look online at salaries. Just cause you are not a doctor yet doesnt mean you dont know how much a family doc makes. I mean come on. Your just always trying to inflate yourself and act like no one can know anything about a field they have never been in. I have proved several numbers for you and even spoke to 2 nurses and again they said the exact same thing. I share a bank account with a RN (now a FNP) so I'm quite aware how much she was making plus all the other nurses I worked with.

RNthenDoc,

Don't you find it ironic when non nurses try to tell you how nursing life is? No point in arguing with him when his "facts" are based off people he knows vs. our firsthand experience as actual nurses. No one in their right mind as a nurse would settle to work for only 35K a year with all the stress we deal with on a daily basis. When I became an RN several years ago, my starting salary was 60K, and I also live in the Midwest.
My starting salary as a PA was mid 60k 6 years ago. Again I dont have to be a nurse to know a salary. You think my wife's pay check was fake or she took half the money out? Haha also I knew exactly how much nurses were making cause I worked with them daily as a RT. RNs made about $1 more per hour than me and I start out around $16.50 about 10 years ago. New garden RNs make about $20-$22 around a 100 mile radius. Why do you think people lie about this? I truly dont understand...

There you go nurses. Maybe you will listen to a actual RN. @andalusite_angles and @RNthenDoc

I
Sorry you’re in a rough spot!

Even with that wage, though, you make 45k, which is a HUGE bump over 35k. Also, adding a fourth shift would bring you up to almost 65k/year.

I recognize that not everyone can do 4 12s, but making 45k with the opportunity to make 65k is a far, far cry from 35k/year!

Again, I do feel bad that you’re not in an ideal spot, though! I know there are some places with a lot less demand.
You need to read better or you might fail med school...I said 35k to 40 k for 36 hours of work. No **** you can pick up extra shifts but is that how you tell everyone how much a nurse makes or a PA or doc? No! They dont post a listing online stating PA job starting at $215k for 65 hours! Hahahah come on dude. You really cant be that ignorant can you? It is based off 3 (12) hr shifts not 4. I've never her of anyone being hired on like that. You just lost your battle and your upset. I understand why. You wanted me to fail. Again there is no reason for me to lie.

Last edited:

Cost of living is typically low in places that pay low. Everyone knows about the Alabama’s, Louisiana’s, and Mississippi’s of the country, and their wages. Then I go on Zillow and see what kind of homes you get for your money and I’m jealous.

What I advise is for nursing folks to get on nights or weekends and make more money. Become a charge nurse. Day shift, middle of the week, clinic work is the suckers bet. You’ll make low wages that aren’t representative of the typical RN. You cracked the code that you need to move around to get raises. I know nurses that move around periodically to take advantage of the premium paid towards recruited nurses. I’ve done a bit of that myself to increase my base wage.

Southern states are patriarchal, good old boys, and often corupt in the race to the bottom. No surprise that their police, teachers, firefighters, bank tellers, etc make poor wages too. But that’s not an indictment of the nursing profession as much as it is a warning that some places are poor places to settle down in general, whether you are a nurse, or whether you do something else. Nursing is a good career with job prospects all over the place that pay well in a relative sense. The exceptions aren’t the rule.

I

You need to read better or you might fail med school...I said 35k to 40 k for 36 hours of work. No **** you can pick up extra shifts but is that how you tell everyone how much a nurse makes or a PA or doc? No! They dont post a listing online stating PA job starting at $215k for 65 hours! Hahahah come on dude. You really cant be that ignorant can you? It is based off 3 (12) hr shifts not 4. I've never her of anyone being hired on like that. You just lost your battle and your upset. I understand why. You wanted me to fail. Again there is no reason for me to lie.
Let’s keep it professional

I

When discussing how much money someone makes, we cite *how much money they make,* not how much money they make given a theoretical number of hours.
Sorry, it doesn't matter what you *might* make, but what you actually *will* or *do* make.

This is common sense!

You seem very upset, so we can just agree that you absolutely won the argument if it will make you feel better. You're wrong, and I think everyone else sees that, but you have a vendetta against me ever since I correct your misinformation RE: a profession you don't belong to.

You'll notice I don't try to speak with such vigor about PA school; I've never been and I have less experience. However, I have completed a nursing career and am a medical student, so I am doubly more qualified to speak on these topics than you are.

My professionalism means more to me than being correct, and I've backed every statement up with personal experience and proof, but if you continue to rave at me I'm going to have to block you. Conversely, we can just move past this and be friends. :)

I would look at the local community college for a rn program. It might be a bit longer, but 80k a year is ivy league expensive.