An interesting year ahead...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirata

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other non-trads struggling to decide what to do this year while applying?

I've been taking a full load of classes, research, and 30-40hrs/week of work for the past year and a half...I'm coming off a full-time research fellowship this summer, and am finding it rather hard to answer the secondary question: "if you don't plan on being a full-time student for the coming academic year, please describe what you will be doing."

My hubby is strongly advocating that I take this year easier than I have my previous--the way he sees it, this is the last year we'll have together that will be any semblance of normal before med school begins, and we need that to survive the next four.

I, on the other hand, am a bit hesitant to let go of the momentum I have. I enjoy my classes, and research, and work (well, at least the paycheck part). I do recognize I need to let go of something if we are throwing interviews into the whole mix, but I am also worried that dropping anything I am doing now will reflect poorly on my application--although honestly, there really are no classes I need to take, ect. Oh, and it would be nice to make some money again. :)

What's everyone else out there doing?

Members don't see this ad.

pirata said:
My hubby is strongly advocating that I take this year easier than I have my previous--the way he sees it, this is the last year we'll have together that will be any semblance of normal before med school begins, and we need that to survive the next four.

The first two years of medical school aren't bad for relationships. It's a lot like undergrad: you go to class, you study, etc. It's the third year when things get whacky -- you start taking overnight call, etc. Residency (especially the intern year) is where you will test your survival skills.