Gap year planning + nontrad status question (2027 cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blocky1234

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I’d really appreciate some advice on how to structure my gap years and strengthen my application for the 2027 cycle.

I am a ORM that recently graduated from a T20 university in 2.5 years. My university GPA is 3.97 cGPA / 3.96 sGPA. However, I also took dual-enrollment classes in high school, and my cumulative GPA including those drops to around 3.8x due to one F and a couple of B’s early on.

Question 1: Would I be considered a non-traditional applicant if I graduated early and having a total of ~2.5 years between graduation and matriculation?

Question 2: How can I best use my gap years to improve my extracurricular profile?

Current + projected activities before applying:

  • Research
    • ~600 hrs environmental lab – co-first-author publication
    • ~150 hrs computational lab
    • ~700 hrs qualitative research by application – likely mid-author publication
  • Clinical
    • ~2500+ hrs as an ER tech by time of application
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 200 hrs tutoring underserved students (I previously attended this program as a student)
    • 100 hrs volunteering with a national autoimmune disease organization (committee role)
    • Projected 300–400 hrs volunteering at a soup kitchen serving low-income/underserved populations, including individuals with autoimmune disease
  • Employment
    • ~1000 hrs in nonclinical paid work in a healthcare-adjacent role
I am currently studying for the MCAT so unknown score.

I’m mainly wondering:

  1. Whether my timeline would classify me as nontrad or just a traditional applicant with gap years
  2. If there are any major gaps in my experiences that I should focus on addressing before I apply
  3. Would dealing with an autoimmune disease be an X factor of wanting to go to med school? Which is why I seem to volunteer with people dealing with the similar illness.
Thanks in advance!
 
Welcome to the forums.

"Non-traditional" is generally applicable to applicants who earned bachelor's degrees and are applying at least a year (maybe 6 months) after graduating. Yes, it is probably more "normal" to see applicants who have taken gap years, though I wouldn't call it "traditional" to confuse with applicants who intend to start graduate training a few months after graduating the previous spring.

Obviously, no MCAT, no school list. Your profile appears to tell me you can check boxes, but nothing compelling for an interview.

You are more than just an assemblage of numbers, including your experience hours. You must describe the quality and value these hours have on your purpose as a physician and your mission fit with a program. Have you met your prehealth advisors, and what support do they provide? Have you attended recruitment events and open houses? Have you connected with admissions professionals, current students, and recent alumni?

No campus involvement?

As for having to be a student who dealt with an illness, I wouldn't call it an X factor. But frame it as you will.