An OD said i could visit

Started by cdea
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cdea

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been sending out mass emails to local OD's asking if i can shadow and one said yes. I will be there saturday? what do you guys wear? like a suit or just casual. I asked him what i should wear. anyway i'll post how it went.
 
I'm guessing you are male since you asked about a suit. But from all the OD's I've been around I suggest nice slacks, shirt and tie. Good luck!
 
No Motley Crue T-Shirts at the office.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cdea said:
I've been sending out mass emails to local OD's asking if i can shadow and one said yes. I will be there saturday? what do you guys wear? like a suit or just casual. I asked him what i should wear. anyway i'll post how it went.


Slacks, dress shirt, and dress shoes should suffice I think. At least it was fine when I did the shadowing thing, it's also what I wear now that I'm actually working at the office of the optometrist I shadowed -- a tie might be overdoing it.
 
yeah i am a dude. anyway i sent the doc an email for directions and what i should wear and he said a collar shirt and some pants is good enough. what should i expect. thanks
 
cdea said:
yeah i am a dude. anyway i sent the doc an email for directions and what i should wear and he said a collar shirt and some pants is good enough. what should i expect. thanks

In terms of what will happen once you get there? My guess is a quick tour of the facility, then s/he'll probably have you sit in on an exam just to see what s/he does. The doctor may show you how to use the lensometer and have you check in a couple jobs once you understand it. You may also get to learn how to do glaucoma or field of vision tests. These were all things two doctors I shadowed had me do.
 
al-majhul said:
Slacks, dress shirt, and dress shoes should suffice I think. At least it was fine when I did the shadowing thing, it's also what I wear now that I'm actually working at the office of the optometrist I shadowed -- a tie might be overdoing it.

What kind of work are you doing at the office?
 
nobodyknows said:
What kind of work are you doing at the office?
I'm a pseudo-optician. Basically, I do everything that goes on at an office except administering any part of patient exams. I do clerical work (including insurance), I help patients with picking frames, purchasing lenses, etc. I also check jobs on the lensometer and dispense the glasses. I say I'm a pseudo-optician because I don't have an optician's training or license, I just do the work they do.
 
Went to observe today and it was pretty cool. We went through about 7 patients. i got to see a short film about optometry. He explained all the parts of the exam and what he checks for. Also let me look through the slit lamp. Something about the shadow compared to the angle. He threw out words i never heard of before. it was pretty difficult to see exactly what he was looking at. there was one who had slight abrasions on his eye from his eye lashes. and his mom who's lens was not a clear as the other patients. we had mostly young people so there was not much to see. Anyhow he said i could come back anytime so i plan on it. he also gave me some other OD's to contact.
 
al-majhul said:
I'm a pseudo-optician. Basically, I do everything that goes on at an office except administering any part of patient exams. I do clerical work (including insurance), I help patients with picking frames, purchasing lenses, etc. I also check jobs on the lensometer and dispense the glasses. I say I'm a pseudo-optician because I don't have an optician's training or license, I just do the work they do.

Sounds like what I do at the office I'm working at too =)