If you couldn’t do OD anymore, what would you be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnontrad

Reaction score
I‘ve had the drive to attend OD since 2015. I was accepted into my top pick (dream come true) and was on my way to completing my first yr. However, my health (had a stroke first semester) kept causing me problems in the spring semester. On top of that, I‘m a mother and my spouse works away half of the month yr round. My health got to the point, that some admins strongly advised a medical leave and to restart my OD1 in the fall. I followed the advice, however; my health isn’t improving and it‘s looking like I have a chronic autoimmune that has chronic migraines in the mix (POTs). Research into OD & other professional medical programs with this condition is not promising and I’m lost. Stress makes the condition worse and that’s all this program is, understandably. I love it but its a hill to be sure. Even with a stringent study schedule, when the brain brain fog hits, I cant pull the correct answers out. I remember the topics but its all fuzzy. As you can imagine, That’s horrible during an exam…
Since taking a leave, I’m strongly considering not returning.
The problem is, I feel like the money (40+K) lost is a waste and I truly enjoyed the clinical aspects I learned. I’ve considered going back for a masters in bio. to teach, a masters in botany (I love plants and took a few classes for it in undergrad), looked into clinical herbology (because nutrition is the major factor for helping me atm), and even a opt tech, I already have some of the needed clinal skills. I want to help people but must consider course load and location. im in a limited educational area, therefore; online my be the way to go. I also have undergrad debt in the mix, so i must consider my the avg salary of whatever I choose.
I just don’t know how to go from being set on this goal and focus driven, to having no idea where to go from here and how to choose it. The feeling of being a failure is legit. 😔

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s a tough question that for me would be highly dependent on the job market around me. I’d pick something with better ROI.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so sorry to hear that...
I also have been having health issues in the junior year of my undergrad, and I'm not sure if I can survive 4 years of rigorous schooling (and low rate of return post-graduation).
I'm considering other career options, but then I am also really interested in learning about the eyes.
I've considered being a nurse practitioner and possibly transferring all my pre-req courses to nursing school to get BSN in like a year or so and then 2 more years of schooling.
But if you really want to be an optometrist, you can try your best to improve your health and learn to manage your condition while studying.
Studying is tough and life is tough...
Sorry I'm not able to offer you a solution, but I wish you the best!