-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
An undergraduate dilemmatier one or tier three? Does it matter?
Started by FictiousForce
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Have you tried applying for financial aid? Being middle class doesn't make you ineligible. As a matter of fact, I don't even know what would make you ineligible for financial aid - as far as I know, everyone is at least approved for a Stafford loan.
Also, it really doesn't matter where you go to college, as long as you excel. If you think you can excel better at the higher-ranked school, go for it. See if they offer any grants and loans and look into scholarships. There are tons of options. However, going to a lesser-known but still really good college on a full ride? I don't think I would be able to resist that.
Also, it really doesn't matter where you go to college, as long as you excel. If you think you can excel better at the higher-ranked school, go for it. See if they offer any grants and loans and look into scholarships. There are tons of options. However, going to a lesser-known but still really good college on a full ride? I don't think I would be able to resist that.
It doesn't matter where you go for undergrad studies. I went to a tier 2 school on close to a full-ride and still received interviews from several top medical schools. Just follow your passion, do well at that school, and get a good MCAT score. If you're doing well on standardized tests and are motivated to self-study (MCAT, math, biology, whatever), you'll do well enough at the next level to shoot for top schools from whatever univerisity you attend. Personally, I went for the full ride. Medical schools generally don't give out much financial aid (MD/PhD and Mayo are exceptions), so less undergrad debt would probably allow you to choose your medical school without as much thought to financial aid.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like the Good Will Hunting quote, and I think it speaks volumes. You do not need to go to a prestigious institution for your undergraduate education, the biggest two things it will accomplish is: inflating your ego, and putting you in debt another 5-10 years after adding on your medical school debt.
Getting into medical school is going to be all about you, not where you attend; a friend of mine who attended Queens College (city university of new york) with me, went through on a scholarship and minimum financial aid, she majored in neurobiology and worked her ass off in her classes, ECs, MCAT, and did research, she's currently attending Johns Hopkins.
I think you already know what to do, make the smart choice.
Getting into medical school is going to be all about you, not where you attend; a friend of mine who attended Queens College (city university of new york) with me, went through on a scholarship and minimum financial aid, she majored in neurobiology and worked her ass off in her classes, ECs, MCAT, and did research, she's currently attending Johns Hopkins.
I think you already know what to do, make the smart choice.
I like the Good Will Hunting quote, and I think it speaks volumes. You do not need to go to a prestigious institution for your undergraduate education, the biggest two things it will accomplish is: inflating your ego, and putting you in debt another 5-10 years after adding on your medical school debt.
Getting into medical school is going to be all about you, not where you attend; a friend of mine who attended Queens College (city university of new york) with me, went through on a scholarship and minimum financial aid, she majored in neurobiology and worked her ass off in her classes, ECs, MCAT, and did research, she's currently attending Johns Hopkins.
I think you already know what to do, make the smart choice.
That's pretty inspirational.
Last edited:
I was in a similar situation, top tier university (#1) with no financial aid vs. other university (#2) with a generous scholarship. I'm going to throw this question out there - have you visited the schools? I was set on going to university #1 and when I visited it the campus was really pretty, but I wasn't sure if the people were the type of people I wanted to be around for four years. It was still my first choice until I visited university #2 and fell in love with it. I chose university #2 mainly based on how much I loved being on campus; they were so welcoming. The financial situation was probably the second most important factor to me, because I was planning on going to grad or med school, so I didn't want a ton of loans. (My family wouldn't have been able to afford all of university #1's tuition.)
So based on that, I would visit the schools to help you with your decision if you haven't yet.
For what it's worth, I love my school (though I apparently have no idea how it's ranked. We have a med school, which is mentioned on here often, but we're not "top tier") and overall I think it has been a great fit for me. The one nice thing about my scholarship is I got to apply it to study abroad which I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. I have no regrets. Spend some time thinking about which campus you would enjoy being on more and if you are planning on going to med school how much debt you can realistically deal with.
So based on that, I would visit the schools to help you with your decision if you haven't yet.
For what it's worth, I love my school (though I apparently have no idea how it's ranked. We have a med school, which is mentioned on here often, but we're not "top tier") and overall I think it has been a great fit for me. The one nice thing about my scholarship is I got to apply it to study abroad which I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. I have no regrets. Spend some time thinking about which campus you would enjoy being on more and if you are planning on going to med school how much debt you can realistically deal with.
Unless you are upper upper middle class, you won't be ineligible for financial aid, especially at top private schools, which tend to be generous with their aid. Just because you are not eligible for pell grants doesn't mean that you won't get a decent package from a university. Also, do you have any in-state tier 1 schools? Those will be relatively cheap, but still high quality in terms of education.
If you are dead set on going to medical school, then you can probably succeed anywhere. All things equal, I think going to more prestigious college is better, but of course, all things are not equal. I would recommend visiting all the colleges, and not make any decisions until you know exactly what your financial situation is.
If you are dead set on going to medical school, then you can probably succeed anywhere. All things equal, I think going to more prestigious college is better, but of course, all things are not equal. I would recommend visiting all the colleges, and not make any decisions until you know exactly what your financial situation is.
I'd go wherever is cheaper. You're probably going to enjoy college no matter where you go, and since name plays a very, very small roll in med school admission, it's a toss-up from that standpoint.
Just FYI, med schools aren't really tiered. You're going to get the same education everywhere, but the schools people point to as the most prestigious are usually just more focused on research. If you're all about being a clinician, they may be a poor fit for you.
Just FYI, med schools aren't really tiered. You're going to get the same education everywhere, but the schools people point to as the most prestigious are usually just more focused on research. If you're all about being a clinician, they may be a poor fit for you.
You sound like an arrogant jackass. You should work on that before you get into the real world.
Definitely.
It doesn't matter where you go to school if you act like a douche at all times.
I think you should still look into financial aid... unless you REALLY have money, it is hard to not receive something. Regarding where you attend for your undergraduate studies, I believe the consensus is that it plays a very negligible role in medical school admissions.
Also, you might want to get your ego in check. Right now, you might be a big fish in a little pond. However, come college there will be many other kids just as smart as you who were thinking the exact same thing when they decided on a tier three school.
Just some food for thought 🙂
Also, you might want to get your ego in check. Right now, you might be a big fish in a little pond. However, come college there will be many other kids just as smart as you who were thinking the exact same thing when they decided on a tier three school.
Just some food for thought 🙂
Well, I am a rather "top student" in terms of test scores (99th percentile SAT), innate intelligence (lots of medals in regional and state science competitions), and it's around the time where I am supposed to decide between universities.
lol. once you get a little closer to the real world, you'll realize there are a lot of people out there smarter than you. also, you'll notice that most of the really smart people you encounter don't actually claim to possess superior intelligence. hmm.
anyways, take the cheaper option. where you go to school doesn't determine who you will be - it all depends on how hard you work. there are people from my public undergrad that go to places like JHU and Vanderbilt, and others that go to state schools.
especially considering you'll be pre-med, the debt you accumulate in undergrad should definitely be a large factor in where you get your bachelor's degree. assume $100k for undergrad and another $250 if you get into a private/OOS medical school and you're pushing $350,000 to pay off in your professional life. this may become a significant hindrance, especially if you consider one of the lower-compensating fields. also, consider that physician salaries on the whole have been trending down for decades.
Although cole (as always) goes a little over board....I think you will realize when you get to uni that there are A LOT of smart ppl. But either way, go to the tier three...I don't think it will make a difference.
You make an interesting point bucks...hmm...almost all the really smart ppl I know claim to be normal....hmmm
I guess one plausible explanation is that once you get to a certain iq, you're so deviant that you actually want to fit in more b/c you're extra iq point will not help you social at all. (smart = good, genius = respect but not close friends)
You make an interesting point bucks...hmm...almost all the really smart ppl I know claim to be normal....hmmm
I guess one plausible explanation is that once you get to a certain iq, you're so deviant that you actually want to fit in more b/c you're extra iq point will not help you social at all. (smart = good, genius = respect but not close friends)
You sound like an arrogant jackass. You should work on that before you get into the real world.
I thought the same thing. He's part of a whole new wave of d-bag premeds coming in next year. That's refreshing. 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although cole (as always) goes a little over board....I think you will realize when you get to uni that there are A LOT of smart ppl. But either way, go to the tier three...I don't think it will make a difference.
You make an interesting point bucks...hmm...almost all the really smart ppl I know claim to be normal....hmmm
I guess one plausible explanation is that once you get to a certain iq, you're so deviant that you actually want to fit in more b/c you're extra iq point will not help you social at all. (smart = good, genius = respect but not close friends)
What?
Fixed.
Last edited:
Do the cheapest route and excel. You will not regret that path when your outrageous professional tuition loan repayment comes after residency. If it came down to a few thousand of an Ivy league vs a state school, I'd go for the Ivy, but otherwise, no thanks.
Definately the full-ride school. I did some rough math between two medical schools that differed by about $100,000 in total cost of attendance, and assuming making no payments during a three year residency (which wouldn't be true, but simplified things), it ended up being around a $165,000 difference. Can you imagine how that interest would pile up with an additional four years of undergrad tacked on?
There's plenty of private medical schools now pushing or exceeding $300,000 in total cost of attendance. Don't tack on another $100,000+ principle for a degree that is meaningless to you beyond getting into medical school. You'll regret it.
There's plenty of private medical schools now pushing or exceeding $300,000 in total cost of attendance. Don't tack on another $100,000+ principle for a degree that is meaningless to you beyond getting into medical school. You'll regret it.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 337
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 725
- Replies
- 29
- Views
- 5K