an upcoming uphill battle.. worth it?

Started by monkeezed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

monkeezed

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

Wanted to ask for advice from you all whether I should fight for my chance at matching into ortho or start looking for another specialty.

I'm a current M3 who recently received a step score of 226. Been thinking about ortho since I entered med school and was disappointed when I received my score (practice exams were in the 240-250 range) I've heard that most programs have a cutoff at 240 but was wondering if it would still be possible to match with my score?

Willing to work my butt off for step 2, and take a full research year between M3-M4 to boost my resume. However, I understand that it may still not be enough and just wanted to see what you all think. Any kind of input is appreciated, thanks!
 
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

39 matched and 23 didn't with your step 1 score. You are looking at being auto-screened from essentially all top programs with that score and would need to be okay with matching at a community or new program. A year of research and connections would help. Graduating from a top medical school would help. Having family connections in orthopaedics would help. Honors in 3rd year and AOA if possible would help. Essentially you need to crush medical school from here on out to have a chance. It's not impossible and if you are dead set on ortho there are people who have matched from a bigger hole. Your decision but just know the road ahead is arduous and success is far from guaranteed. Good luck.