An update on a fruitless job interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, I've been job hunting since March, and the first interview I had, in May, was at a rural hospital in a small town 40 miles from where I live. My local newscast just said that the hospital is in such serious financial trouble, it will probably be laying people off, and if things don't improve, it may have to close.

:(

It's in a very economically depressed area already, and closing the hospital would lead to several hundred more jobs lost. It is not a critical access facility.

Members don't see this ad.

As many of you know, I've been job hunting since March, and the first interview I had, in May, was at a rural hospital in a small town 40 miles from where I live. My local newscast just said that the hospital is in such serious financial trouble, it will probably be laying people off, and if things don't improve, it may have to close.

:(

It's in a very economically depressed area already, and closing the hospital would lead to several hundred more jobs lost. It is not a critical access facility.

sounds like a good time to find the next closest hospital and put in an application and CV there, as it looks like their need for another pharmacist would increase after said hospital closes.

Keep your head up.

IIRC, they could get more money from Medicare if they recertified as critical access, but they would still have to cut staff because they're certified for about 70 beds (although ICU and OB would have to be full for this to happen, and that's quite unlikely) and their census averages about half that.

I've lived in this area for 7 years and heard more than once that this hospital might have to close. I do remember seeing their benefits package, and their health insurance was atrocious. For a single person, it was something like $158 a month for a $5,000 deductible, although the deductible was HSA eligible, FWIW.