Would it look bad on a resume to quit a full time job at CVS if you immediately start multiple PRN hospital positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyDogAteMySuboxone

Reaction score
So I work at CVS and hate the current situation I'm in at my store. Would it look bad on my resume to quit CVS and start multiple (2-3) PRN hospital positions? Yes, I'm aware they would not come with health insurance and benefits. There aren't any good full time options open right now. I am open to purchasing my own health insurance and I am good with budgeting so I am okay with a lower income for a time.

I just don't want my resume to look bad based on how competitive the market is right now. It wouldn't really be an employment gap if I immediately start multiple part time positions after I quit my full time position. But will future employers assume I got fired rather than quit? Will this be considered a 'gap' (in full time employment)? Should I just tough it out at CVS until I can find a good full time position open? Or is this considered fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what type of job you are applying for in the future.
As someone who used to hire people at a hospital.
1. If you only had CVS I am skipped over your resume
2. Somebody with a couple of pr hospital jobs would likely get an interview (I have hired a couple of people with this exact same scenario)

They very much will ask you about it - so just have a good and honest answer

Reactions: 1 user
Why not ask to switch stores?
But to answer the original question, I don’t think it “looks bad” as long as you have an explanation for leaving CVS for part time hospital jobs.
Every person will interpret resumes differently so take it for what it’s worth

Members don't see this ad :)
Market specific but not a problem in DC, MN, or Phoenix/Tucson. A person needs to earn a living and as long as you’re communicating that you’re breaking into institutional and I’m taking jobs for both pay and experience, it’s going to be fine.

If you have multiple FTE, it does raise questions but an FTE plus a part time gig is seen as hustling in a positive way or doing an occupational hobby. I know a bunch of nursing home consultants that do PT at NH and a normal hospital or retail job as contracts are scarce. This is totally fine given the ups and downs of consulting.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 5-page resume, I have had 8 fulltime and 5-6 PRN jobs in 38 yrs. Never, ever worried about how a move would impact my future employment. My advice, never burn bridges, with any employer, no matter how awful they were. Just move on and do what's best for you.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to break into hospital from retail, you need to approach any per diem gig as an interview so you're the logical option if/when an internal benefited position opens up. You won't be anyones first choice as the guy/gal who's worked a shift per month and barely knows the workflows, policies and procedures.

That being said, I would keep working full-time at CVS until you pass your probationary phase at the hospital (depending on your state labor laws), and you get a feel for the culture at your new workplace. Hospitals can be their own kind of toxic environment.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 5-page resume, I have had 8 fulltime and 5-6 PRN jobs in 38 yrs. Never, ever worried about how a move would impact my future employment. My advice, never burn bridges, with any employer, no matter how awful they were. Just move on and do what's best for you.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that as a general rule. You worked for Augusta or Atlanta VA in your past, I'd tell anyone I knew to avoid the place and in public (and I work for VA right now) as a collegial service. Atlanta, Augusta, Northampton, Great Mistakes at North Chicago, Phoenix, and DC, I would not want my enemies to work for them.

You have been lucky that moves have not affected your future career. It does in some areas of the country. In Phoenix, if you came from Baptist or Maryvale (so dysfunctional a hospital that it was ordered to be shut down by Arizona of all parties), you had real difficulties finding a job afterwards. VA in Phoenix had an especially toxic reputation that they really were blacklisted if they tried to work anywhere else in the Valley due to their notorious hostile work environment culture. I know St. Louis also has this reputation due to reports about employee retention being sent to DC.

Everyone says the pharmacy world is a small one. That's true, but it goes both ways. There are times you do want to make enemies, because guilt by association is definitely present in this business.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that as a general rule. You worked for Augusta or Atlanta VA in your past, I'd tell anyone I knew to avoid the place and in public (and I work for VA right now) as a collegial service. Atlanta, Augusta, Northampton, Great Mistakes at North Chicago, Phoenix, and DC, I would not want my enemies to work for them.

You have been lucky that moves have not affected your future career. It does in some areas of the country. In Phoenix, if you came from Baptist or Maryvale (so dysfunctional a hospital that it was ordered to be shut down by Arizona of all parties), you had real difficulties finding a job afterwards. VA in Phoenix had an especially toxic reputation that they really were blacklisted if they tried to work anywhere else in the Valley due to their notorious hostile work environment culture. I know St. Louis also has this reputation due to reports about employee retention being sent to DC.

Everyone says the pharmacy world is a small one. That's true, but it goes both ways. There are times you do want to make enemies, because guilt by association is definitely present in this business.
I respect your input on this matter as my experience and history has been limited to one metro area and one or two specific practice areas.
And yes, I was at VAMC-Atlanta.
But, I still stand by the fact that, if you limit yourself, by being concerned about the future impact of a certain employment, it would be detrimental to your overall career.

So I work at CVS and hate the current situation I'm in at my store. Would it look bad on my resume to quit CVS and start multiple (2-3) PRN hospital positions? Yes, I'm aware they would not come with health insurance and benefits. There aren't any good full time options open right now. I am open to purchasing my own health insurance and I am good with budgeting so I am okay with a lower income for a time.

I just don't want my resume to look bad based on how competitive the market is right now. It wouldn't really be an employment gap if I immediately start multiple part time positions after I quit my full time position. But will future employers assume I got fired rather than quit? Will this be considered a 'gap' (in full time employment)? Should I just tough it out at CVS until I can find a good full time position open? Or is this considered fine?
Keep Both until you get a full time position at the hospital