an update on my pre-admission meeting and the new plan!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
thought i would give a brief update on my pre-admission counseling with the state med school, my top choice and the most appealing/most reachable of the remaining allopathics here in my area :)
overall it went suprisingly WELL!!
i am so so so glad i did it....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the one who suggested it as it has truely proved to be invaluable for me
here is the lowdown....
top choice - my stats are in line with their accepted stats and i have a more than good shot at getting in. he said they look for some sort of volunteer work and a shadowing experience (both of which i have) and that everything else was icing and that i have a LOT of icing :p. i talked to him about applying to the masters then switching to the do program and he did indeed confirm that they have had "many" people switch after first year from the master program to the do program with no issue and with full support of the director. he alos thought that given my research background that i would be a very strong candidate for the master's program as they specifically look for people who have a research background to be able to come in and do lab work immediately. so good news all around
state school - also good news here. he said i have a good shot even with my measely 28. he said he can not guarantee it but he has a sneaking feeling that they will discount siu as it is over 12 years old now (that is where i got 2 semesters of failing grades and is what is bringing my cum ugrad gpa majorly down) and that they may only consider my work since then which has been nothing less than stellar. if this is really what happens (which of course i do not know and there is no guarantee) it would be amazing as it would seriously bump up my cum gpa (for them) and would really turn me into a strong candidate. i have only recently begun volunteer work again at the local hospital and he said if i did not get in it would be because that experience has not been going on long enough...in other words it looks like i am doing it to get in rather than it being something i want to do and have not had time to dedicate to before now. something he siad to maek sure i make clear on any additional info i submit with secondary. in other good news he said they have been seeing a decline in their nontrads and are making an active effort this year to increase their non trad numbers....hmm wonder if i know anyone who would meet the definition of a nontrad who would be applying?? :cool: again good news all around
other allopathic in area - pretty much same thing as state school. good news all around. my stats are more in line with their accepted/matriculated stats. more good news..yay!!

overall i am feeling more positive than ever about this app cycle. what has seemed more and more like a pipe dream is coming to fruition.
they also said the same thing about classes...i have the 3.0 grad gpa there was no point in getting a graduate degree to get a graduate degree. so i do not have to take classes next year..:D. this is a good thing as it will save the milage and wear on the car and also allow us to stash away some $$ for expenses first year med school (bringing take home food more often, day care for all three kiddos, things for convience like lawn care service/doggie doody pickup/housecleaning every other week. etc)
i started studying for mcat and it is taking me twice as long as they say it should take so my 10 wk study plan is turning into a 20 wk study plan :rolleyes:. this is just the way i am, i am a VERY methodical studier which is great and aids me wonderfully come exam time but no so good when trying to prep for mcat :laugh:. have decided to ditch the retake in sept theory since there is NO WAY i will be ready and plan to take it sometime next year...most likely jan or feb. will continue prep on my 10-turned-20-week study plan and use the remaining time to really shore up week areas and work problems.
so the revised plan is as follows:
apply to top choice - both osteo program AND master's program
apply to state allo school
apply to other allo school which is my best shot at remaining allo schools in area
retake mcat sometime in jan or feb in case have to reapply next summer

keep everything crossed that with a little bit of :luck: i will be in somewhere next year and the pipe dream will be a reality!!!

Members don't see this ad.