Thoughts on my new plan of ★Work and MCAT -> SMP -> MD★?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Pistachio

Reaction score
Hi SND community,

It is BP here and I posted about a month ago and asked how I can juggle SMP with a full time job with a goal of applying to medical schools. I really appreciated the responses I got. Based on your feedback, I decided against it. I have a revised plan on which I would like to ask for feedback.

Rationale for my decision includes:
1) Responsibilities overload may lead to burnout and subpar performance in both work and SMP. The high-risk high-reward aspect of SMP demands that I proceed with wisdom
2) Having been out of school for ten years, it is difficult to gauge my capacity to engage in coursework even more so with 40-50 hours work week in a demanding field.

My new plan is:
1) Take the MCAT in March 2024
2) Start the SMP in the summer of 2024
3) Apply in the 2025 cycle
4) Matriculate in 2026

Some of the benefits with this approach:
1) With MCAT completed, I can focus on the SMP
2) With MCAT completed, my academic capacity is validated
3) Be able to apply in the 2025 cycle
4) Most realistic and fastest option

How does this revised plan sound generally? Is it attainable? Am I missing something? Can you please add your thoughts to this? If I did 2 year SMP (Summer 2024 to Spring 2026) option, I would have completed 17 credits when 2025 application cycle comes around. Can I apply without having finished the program? Is this possible? Or must I complete the Master's degree prior to applying?

Thank you for your time!
BP

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I’m still confused why you want to spend the time and money going through the SMP when taking classes to improve your undergrad GPA + killing the MCAT (+ possible AFS) would be a much better use of your time.

I guess I’m still confused why you want to spend the time and money going through the SMP when taking classes to improve your undergrad GPA + killing the MCAT (+ possible AFS) would be a much better use of your time.
Hi! I believe we discussed this briefly in DM. I have 150 credits. I changed my major during the undergrad. So I will be investing significant amount of credit hours to bring my GPA up to a competitive level. But I did hear about an upward trend being favored - what do you think about an upward trend with the DIY post-bacc with 3.2-3 GPA?

I thought about the AFS. I am a Texas resident who have been out of school for 10 years. But then I believe I will be pursuing it for 3-4 years full-time. I have a full-time job, and being out of work for that long will add to the cost. I want to be mindful of how I use my resources. Also, it looks like it takes longer than my current plan. With the additional information I shared, would you still recommend it?

Thanks!
BP

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AFS wouldn’t take 3-4 years.

Fall
Gen Chem I
Physics I
Bio I

Spring
Gen Chem II
Physics II
Bio II

Summer
Orgo I
English I

Fall
Orgo II
English II
Math if needed

Spring II
Any other missing reqs

AFS wouldn’t take 3-4 years.

Fall
Gen Chem I
Physics I
Bio I

Spring
Gen Chem II
Physics II
Bio II

Summer
Orgo I
English I

Fall
Orgo II
English II
Math if needed

Spring II
Any other missing reqs
I was less than informed with regards to AFS. Your comments prompted me to do more research on this topic, so I appreciate you for that!

I take it you already have a bachelors right? You don’t need to get another bachelors, the original degree is still valid if you earned it.

I did forget about the 90 credit hour requirement (wasn’t on the radar for me since I didn’t AFS ALL of my coursework) so that may make your journey longer :(

I take it you already have a bachelors right? You don’t need to get another bachelors, the original degree is still valid if you earned it.

I did forget about the 90 credit hour requirement (wasn’t on the radar for me since I didn’t AFS ALL of my coursework) so that may make your journey longer :(
I earned my bachelors in 2013. Would I be eligible to apply to medical schools with just the pre-requisites completed with AFS? I understand 90 credit hours are needed for Texas medical schools only but I would like to know if that would apply to AFS applicants with an existing bachelor's degree. Also, how broadly would one might apply? How do out of state or private medical schools consider AFS applicants? It is a Texas Education Code, so I am interested in knowing that. I would prefer to have no stones unturned, so this topic is very valuable to me. I appreciate your input!

I am reading this thread and I am under the impression that one must fulfill the 90 credit hour requirements prior to applying. Like you said, it may take me however long to complete the 90 credit hours since all my credits are 10 years or more old. That would equate to a three years of full time assuming 15 credits fall/spring.

But the part about which I am still unsure is if the requirement would still applies to AFS applicant with an existing bachelor's degree.

Last edited:
what do you think about an upward trend with the DIY post-bacc with 3.2-3 GPA?
It’s possible. There are threads every year with people like this getting accepted. They all seemed to have a few years of excellent grades and high MCAT scores.

It’s possible. There are threads every year with people like this getting accepted. They all seemed to have a few years of excellent grades and high MCAT scores.
Could you share a link where I can view those? I need to make an informed decision and seeing real life examples might be helpful. Thanks!

Hi SND community,

It is BP here and I posted about a month ago and asked how I can juggle SMP with a full time job with a goal of applying to medical schools. I really appreciated the responses I got. Based on your feedback, I decided against it. I have a revised plan on which I would like to ask for feedback.

Rationale for my decision includes:
1) Responsibilities overload may lead to burnout and subpar performance in both work and SMP. The high-risk high-reward aspect of SMP demands that I proceed with wisdom
2) Having been out of school for ten years, it is difficult to gauge my capacity to engage in coursework even more so with 40-50 hours work week in a demanding field.

My new plan is:
1) Take the MCAT in March 2024
2) Start the SMP in the summer of 2024
3) Apply in the 2025 cycle
4) Matriculate in 2026

Some of the benefits with this approach:
1) With MCAT completed, I can focus on the SMP
2) With MCAT completed, my academic capacity is validated
3) Be able to apply in the 2025 cycle
4) Most realistic and fastest option

How does this revised plan sound generally? Is it attainable? Am I missing something? Can you please add your thoughts to this? If I did 2 year SMP (Summer 2024 to Spring 2026) option, I would have completed 17 credits when 2025 application cycle comes around. Can I apply without having finished the program? Is this possible? Or must I complete the Master's degree prior to applying?

Thank you for your time!
BP
Good plan.

But med schools will want to see how you do in the entire SMP, not just one semester.

Marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

I earned my bachelors in 2013. Would I be eligible to apply to medical schools with just the pre-requisites completed with AFS? I understand 90 credit hours are needed for Texas medical schools only but I would like to know if that would apply to AFS applicants with an existing bachelor's degree. Also, how broadly would one might apply? How do out of state or private medical schools consider AFS applicants? It is a Texas Education Code, so I am interested in knowing that. I would prefer to have no stones unturned, so this topic is very valuable to me. I appreciate your input!

Yes, as long as you have earned a bachelors you will only need the prerequisites. For the 90 credit hour issue, I would reach out to TMDSAS directly about it. It’s not a problem I ran into so I can’t speak accurately about that.

AFS is a Texas only mandate so it will ONLY apply to TMDSAS schools. I am unsure of how the non-TMDSAS Texas schools manage it (TCU, UIWSOM). Your AMCAS and AACOMAS applications will not be affected by AFS at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Good plan.

But med schools will want to see how you do in the entire SMP, not just one semester.

Marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere.
Goro, your previous advice helped me to revise my plan, so I thank you for that.

17 credit I was referring to is at the time of application is 2 semesters worth of credits out of 5 semesters (this is my current plan). So in this case, when would you recommend that I apply? Would I apply only after I completed the entire semesters? Since I would have completed all 5 semesters by the time I matriculate, I thought applying with 17 credits will be okay. What are your thoughts?

Yes, as long as you have earned a bachelors you will only need the prerequisites. For the 90 credit hour issue, I would reach out to TMDSAS directly about it. It’s not a problem I ran into so I can’t speak accurately about that.

AFS is a Texas only mandate so it will ONLY apply to TMDSAS schools. I am unsure of how the non-TMDSAS Texas schools manage it (TCU, UIWSOM). Your AMCAS and AACOMAS applications will not be affected by AFS at all.
Thank you thank you! I will contact TMDSAS for that.

Goro, your previous advice helped me to revise my plan, so I thank you for that.

17 credit I was referring to is at the time of application is 2 semesters worth of credits out of 5 semesters (this is my current plan). So in this case, when would you recommend that I apply? Would I apply only after I completed the entire semesters? Since I would have completed all 5 semesters by the time I matriculate, I thought applying with 17 credits will be okay. What are your thoughts?
You apply when you have the best possible app.

I recommend that you have 30ish credits of reinvention under your belt when applying.

You apply when you have the best possible app.

I recommend that you have 30ish credits of reinvention under your belt when applying.
I appreciate the advice & recommendation!