Anaes vs Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
any comments on comparing careers in the two fields. I was always interested in surg and anaesthesia. But if you can't be stuffed with the lifestyle in surg, thought rad onc might be a good option. assuming theyre all equally as competitive, what are the pros and cons of choosing anaes over rad onc. (the interest factor is the same. critical care phys pharm is great as is playing with cool radiobiology and technology to zap tumors).

one negative about rad onc to me was the fact that its not as broadly applicable or as mobile as being an anaesthetist.

Members don't see this ad.

ALTorGT said:
Hi
any comments on comparing careers in the two fields. I was always interested in surg and anaesthesia. But if you can't be stuffed with the lifestyle in surg, thought rad onc might be a good option. assuming theyre all equally as competitive, what are the pros and cons of choosing anaes over rad onc. (the interest factor is the same. critical care phys pharm is great as is playing with cool radiobiology and technology to zap tumors).

one negative about rad onc to me was the fact that its not as broadly applicable or as mobile as being an anaesthetist.

Heres a somewhat rhetorical reply.

And please take this to heart, cuz its true.

ANYTHING ten years into your career, any career will become repetitious and somewhat boring, if you are the outgoing type. After the stress of med school/residency/fellowship, you'll go into private practice. With rare exception, your life/aspirations will broaden beyond your job. Your kids will make you yearn for more time at home. You'll gravitate to something non-medical that makes you feel like you were a kid again, opening christmas presents....maybe its airplanes....superbikes....seeing who can put up the biggest snowboard roostertail....no-limit-hold'em...

yes, its important to not hate what you do, and its important to like what you do. But most individuals, despite all the neurons they lost selecting their specialty when in med school, could function in a variety of specialties, and be perfectly happy, ten years down the road.

I'll be honest with you. And this won't reflect on me in a positive fashion to alot of readers. But its honest.

I'm not the philinthropic type. I'm not a Mother Theresa analogue. I didnt go into medicine because I wanted to save the world. And I say that to differentiate myself from the true philanthropists out there. I'm inferior to you, humanistically speaking, Dude/Dudette Philanthropist.

Yes, I enjoy taking care of patients. Yes, I enjoy the challenges of clinical medicine.

But I can say something now, that I couldnt say when I was applying to med school/anesthesia residency.

I selected my path for personal gain. Job security. Guaranteed income potential. Knowing once I got licensed as a physician, I'd be able to make X amount, just about anywhere in our country.

Does that make me less of a physician?

I'm deft at what I do. I'm HMFIC of our department. I make decisions that affect many people besides myself. I hire people. Fire people. Direct people. Commend people. Reprimand people.

And our department is thriving under my lead.

But if I hit the powerball tomorrow, I'd give it all up. And in my spare time I'd open up a clinic for the indigent, modeling after the Camellus House , an indigent care facility in Miami, started by a philanthropic hepatology fellow at U of M when I was there.

If money was no object, I'd focus my direction to where our country needs it the most...providing medical care to the people who cant afford it.

But sorry, slap back to reality. Money doesnt make you happy. Thats up to you-and-yours to work the happiness thing out.

Lets be real here...if money isnt an issue in your life, you are given the gracious opportunity to make decisions free of monetary constraint.

And certain medical specialties can provide that to you.

Lets see...I'm an MS 4 and I owe 178k in student loans (I didnt pick that number out of the air, by the way)....sorry, I'm not gonna go into a specialty that pays less than the CRNAs that I work with make.

Thanks to my professional decisions, I dont have to worry about money. Am I jet-plane-rich? Absolutely not. Medicine doesnt provide jet-plane-richness.

Did my "foresight" as an MS4 provide me and my family with financial security fifteen years later?

Absolutely.

And before they start, I'll accept the "superficial flames" with style. I respect you for calling me out for whatever reason.

But theres no other website on the planet that you'll see honesty like this.

Jet...that's freakin' well said bro!

It takes balls to be frank like that. only other person i know that said EXACTLY what you said was a anesthesiology residnet I know.

It's the bottom line. Family is important as hell. And I agree, if there arent constraints monetarily, you are more likely to help the indigent etc. Look at who creates clinics and donates mad loot to third world countries. It's the millionaires and billionaires of the world. if you dont have $$ you can't give it up to the poor/needy.

Bottom line folks.

Great insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a long time member of the board, and a not so frequent poster. But I felt I had to type a few words to this.

Jet - you are absolutely amazing. You basically cracked open my mind and read it word for word.

I went into medicine not for any great humanistic purposes either. I felt like it would be a great job, both financially and for security reasons. It's something I felt I could handle intellectual-wise, and I could picture myself enjoying it. Over my four years in med school I have had no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat. I simply cannot picture myself doing anything else.

But by no means will my job be my life. I am a sports nut, and prior to med school I was a high school football and basketball official. I want to be able to continue that after residency. I want to be able to (for the most part) leave my job at the hospital. And that 178K debt you speak of? You basically hit the nail on the head to the dollar. And the tuition at my school continues to increase 8-9% per year. My initial thought of pediatrics was out the window fast.

I love anesthesia, and I can't wait to begin my training. That yell you hear on Monday about 1PM will be me, ecstatic after reading that sentence "you have matched". (knock on wood ;) )

Thanks again Jet. I look forward to all of your posts. You are a voice of sanity in a sometimes crazy board. Keep putting these students who overthink things in their place.

Back to Rip, Chauncy, Sheed, Big Ben, Tayshaun, and the rest of my Pistons.

jetproppilot said:
Heres a somewhat rhetorical reply.

And please take this to heart, cuz its true.

ANYTHING ten years into your career, any career will become repetitious and somewhat boring, if you are the outgoing type. After the stress of med school/residency/fellowship, you'll go into private practice. With rare exception, your life/aspirations will broaden beyond your job. Your kids will make you yearn for more time at home. You'll gravitate to something non-medical that makes you feel like you were a kid again, opening christmas presents....maybe its airplanes....superbikes....seeing who can put up the biggest snowboard roostertail....no-limit-hold'em...

yes, its important to not hate what you do, and its important to like what you do. But most individuals, despite all the neurons they lost selecting their specialty when in med school, could function in a variety of specialties, and be perfectly happy, ten years down the road.

I'll be honest with you. And this won't reflect on me in a positive fashion to alot of readers. But its honest.

I'm not the philinthropic type. I'm not a Mother Theresa analogue. I didnt go into medicine because I wanted to save the world. And I say that to differentiate myself from the true philanthropists out there. I'm inferior to you, humanistically speaking, Dude/Dudette Philanthropist.

Yes, I enjoy taking care of patients. Yes, I enjoy the challenges of clinical medicine.

But I can say something now, that I couldnt say when I was applying to med school/anesthesia residency.

I selected my path for personal gain. Job security. Guaranteed income potential. Knowing once I got licensed as a physician, I'd be able to make X amount, just about anywhere in our country.

Does that make me less of a physician?

I'm deft at what I do. I'm HMFIC of our department. I make decisions that affect many people besides myself. I hire people. Fire people. Direct people. Commend people. Reprimand people.

And our department is thriving under my lead.

But if I hit the powerball tomorrow, I'd give it all up. And in my spare time I'd open up a clinic for the indigent, modeling after the Camellus House , an indigent care facility in Miami, started by a philanthropic hepatology fellow at U of M when I was there.

If money was no object, I'd focus my direction to where our country needs it the most...providing medical care to the people who cant afford it.

But sorry, slap back to reality. Money doesnt make you happy. Thats up to you-and-yours to work the happiness thing out.

Lets be real here...if money isnt an issue in your life, you are given the gracious opportunity to make decisions free of monetary constraint.

And certain medical specialties can provide that to you.

Lets see...I'm an MS 4 and I owe 178k in student loans (I didnt pick that number out of the air, by the way)....sorry, I'm not gonna go into a specialty that pays less than the CRNAs that I work with make.

Thanks to my professional decisions, I dont have to worry about money. Am I jet-plane-rich? Absolutely not. Medicine doesnt provide jet-plane-richness.

Did my "foresight" as an MS4 provide me and my family with financial security fifteen years later?

Absolutely.

And before they start, I'll accept the "superficial flames" with style. I respect you for calling me out for whatever reason.

But theres no other website on the planet that you'll see honesty like this.

...And the Oscar for inspirational and realistic view of medicine goes to ...Professor Jet :thumbup:

very well said.. Glad to know I'm not the only person who went into medicine for what some would call selfish reasons.

Just to help out a bit on the original question, rad onc is a lot more competitive than gas. It's really a function of very few training slots in rad onc.

Pir8DeacDoc said:
very well said.. Glad to know I'm not the only person who went into medicine for what some would call selfish reasons.

Just to help out a bit on the original question, rad onc is a lot more competitive than gas. It's really a function of very few training slots in rad onc.

I'm here to tell you that your aspirations are not selfish, dude.

Unfortunately, thats the clandestine part you can't reveal when you're a franchise-player, applying to med school/residency.

I don't get it.

Why has medicine persisted as a profession that an individual has to be holier-than-thou to be inducted into?

If you're an academic stud/studette in college, and you can handle the rigors of academia/hard work, and present yourself in a professional fashion at work, Deans of med schools/Residency Chairs should focus on that. And focus less on the superfluous stuff thats currently looked at that "enhances" your application....like volunteer work, research, etc.

Know what medicine needs today?

Not people who spend needless hours doing needless stuff to enhance their application.

Medicine needs individuals who will show up to work who know the craft that they've been taught, who will work hard when they are at work, who will take sincere care of their patients, who will call in sick only if they are near-death, who will interact easily with colleague-MDs/RNs/transporters/patient family members, who will perpetuate their specialty with cutting-edge technology.

Lets lose all the needless stuff required to become a med student/certain-specialty resident.

And concentrate on whats important.

I've got a buddy whos a big-wig in academic medicine...and he's seen the light. He knows what it takes to attract residents to a program. He knows what it takes to turn said-recruited residents into private-practice studs, that deliver superior patient care, concomitant with fulfilling needs of said-resident.

That trend will continue.

Its infectious.

And everyone benefits.

jet,

straight away a really solid post. Im an MSIV and have virtually identical sentiments.
You seem to anticipate flame. Why?
Even if one has no philanthropic drive whatsoever (not saying you), but can simply get things done in and outside of the OR with great skill and efficiency, there is no way to devalue that physician. Results are really the only objective way to assess a physician's value. After all, the entire field of medicine is predicated on objectivity(evidence based medicine) and results. If there is truth in your post, it sounds like you have a skill-set to simply get **** done.
Inspite of what i say above, i still believe that being a nice guy(or gal) to colleagues/patients/whoever is huge. So i dont want to devalue that.
I dont look forward to getting older. I do, however, look forward to days when seeming PC will be totally inconsequential and i can say **** just like your post.
Take it easy.

mms437 said:
jet,

straight away a really solid post. Im an MSIV and have virtually identical sentiments.
You seem to anticipate flame. Why?

Guess its a reflex of training as an anesthesiologist, dude.

Always ask yourself, what if?

As I've noticed, the people who get the most out of life are the ones who find a career they are fully passionate about. Any chump can have a wife and children, people do it every day. That's not a knock on family life, but it is often glorified by those not passionate about their work. Think about the legends in medicine (or any other facet of society), the ones who revolutionized it: they usually weren't the typical family guy.

Misterioso said:
As I've noticed, the people who get the most out of life are the ones who find a career they are fully passionate about. Any chump can have a wife and children, people do it every day. That's not a knock on family life, but it is often glorified by those not passionate about their work. Think about the legends in medicine (or any other facet of society), the ones who revolutionized it: they usually weren't the typical family guy.

Very true, bro.

I wish you godspeed in your future profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
Very true, bro.

I wish you godspeed in your future profession.

Dude, I'm still waiting on that PM after all your tough talk. Or are you just that: all talk?

misterioso if you want to be a damn legend then go practice on some pigs or something. why do you feel the need to waive your phallus at everyone all the time? i doubt that the legends you speak of, and apparently model your life-goal after, spent time boasting about the accomplishments of others as their own. true, any chump can have a family, just like any chump can claim to be future med stud, future surgeon, future legend, future astronaut, future nobel prize winner, future whatever.

and i also doubt that these legends of medicine worried about others taking over their responsibilities (e.g. post-op care). get a clue man.

automaton said:
misterioso if you want to be a damn legend then go practice on some pigs or something. why do you feel the need to waive your phallus at everyone all the time? i doubt that the legends you speak of, and apparently model your life-goal after, spent time boasting about the accomplishments of others as their own. true, any chump can have a family, just like any chump can claim to be future med stud, future surgeon, future legend, future astronaut, future nobel prize winner, future whatever.

and i also doubt that these legends of medicine worried about others taking over their responsibilities (e.g. post-op care). get a clue man.

automaton, it was your buddy jetprop who called me out and when I responded he folded like an accordion.

Misterioso said:
Dude, I'm still waiting on that PM after all your tough talk. Or are you just that: all talk?

No need/desire to PM your naive/arrogant self.

I've substantiated your ability to respectfully project your opinion.

Maybe you're the one-in-a-million that'll sacrifice everything to take medicine to the next level.

But more realistically you're just another SDN MS3-4 troll, short in stature, projecting your inferiority, yearning for a response from monetary/professionally-healthy attendings that frequent this site with good intentions, who unfortunately have to direct some of their energy to quelling a ssholes like yourself who pop up here periodically, causing some rukkus, then disappear.

My bank account is healthy. My professional life is healthy. I have nothing to prove to anyone, anymore.

Thats why I can focus on people like you, who resembles a homeless dude, who pop up on this website, stirring the s hit.

Just like Mil said, you're not gonna intimidate the established attendings that frequent this site. You are an inexperienced...no, sorry.... a non experienced dude who has alot to say, who knows alotta history, who has contributed nothing.

And thats where your problem lies.

How many lives have you saved?

I've saved hundreds. As has Mil. I hate to say it in that fashion. But for an arrogant dude like you, its important for you to know that.

Right now you are nothing. Sorry, thats not true. You are below nothing. Despite what you think, just like the rest of us-mortals, nobody, aside from your family, really cares.

So take it from a (relative) medicine stud. I know my game, bro. And I dont say that unless I see some budding person like yourself being arrogant. You'll be much more successful if you quell your opinions until you really know what the f uck youre talking about, instead of projecting that you know about a life as a practicing physician, something you obviously know nothing about.

jetproppilot said:
No need/desire to PM your naive/arrogant self.

I've substantiated your ability to respectfully project your opinion.

Maybe you're the one-in-a-million that'll sacrifice everything to take medicine to the next level.

But more realistically you're just another SDN MS3-4 troll, short in stature, projecting your inferiority, yearning for a response from monetary/professionally-healthy attendings that frequent this site with good intentions, who unfortunately have to direct some of their energy to quelling a ssholes like yourself who pop up here periodically, causing some rukkus, then disappear.

My bank account is healthy. My professional life is healthy. I have nothing to prove to anyone, anymore.

Thats why I can focus on people like you, who resembles a homeless dude, who pop up on this website, stirring the s hit.

Just like Mil said, you're not gonna intimidate the established attendings that frequent this site. You are an inexperienced...no, sorry.... a non experienced dude who has alot to say, who knows alotta history, who has contributed nothing.

And thats where your problem lies.

How many lives have you saved?

I've saved hundreds. As has Mil. I hate to say it in that fashion. But for an arrogant dude like you, its important for you to know that.

Right now you are nothing. Sorry, thats not true. You are below nothing. Despite what you think, just like the rest of us-mortals, nobody, aside from your family, really cares.

So take it from a (relative) medicine stud. I know my game, bro. And I dont say that unless I see some budding person like yourself being arrogant. You'll be much more successful if you quell your opinions until you really know what the f uck youre talking about, instead of projecting that you know about a life as a practicing physician, something you obviously know nothing about.

That's what I thought: All talk. Maybe one day you'll have the stones to back up all that big talk you made in the other thread. You challenged, I accepted, you folded.

Misterioso said:
That's what I thought: All talk. Maybe one day you'll have the stones to back up all that big talk you made in the other thread. You challenged, I accepted, you folded.

Sorry, loser. I'm a good poker player.

I didnt fold.

I reraised your bluff.

And your stupid a ss response has just verified my intuition.

Youre a WANNABE.

I'M ALL IN.

jetproppilot said:
Sorry, loser. I'm a good poker player.

I didnt fold.

I reraised your bluff.

And your stupid a ss response has just verified my intuition.

Youre a WANNABE.

I'M ALL IN.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?

I don't see a PM.

Misterioso said:
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?

I don't see a PM.

Dude,

What are you, gay or something? Are you in need of some personal response?

Lack of PM does not equal folding the hand.

Again, youre a troll loser, yearning to validate your Napoleanic stature.

And youve selected the wrong dude to try and intimidate with your arrogant, bottom feeder self.

BTW, why are you here on SDN anesthesia?

I'm an attending, like Mil, UT, Noyac et al. We are here to share experiences, to help residents/med students, for enjoyment.

Why are you here?

jetproppilot said:
Dude,

What are you, gay or something? Are you in need of some personal response?

Lack of PM does not equal folding the hand.

Again, youre a troll loser, yearning to validate your Napoleanic stature.

And youve selected the wrong dude to try and intimidate with your arrogant, bottom feeder self.

BTW, why are you here on SDN anesthesia?

I'm an attending, like Mil, UT, Noyac et al. We are here to share experiences, to help residents/med students, for enjoyment.

Why are you here?

Why are you trying to change the subject?

It's obvious you are intimidated if not downright scared. PM me and we can set up a day for you to see if your "Napoleanic" comments are indeed true. Remember, you're the tough guy who can handle things like "Matt Hughes" does (LOL). Let's see if you can back it up in real life.

Misterioso said:
Why are you trying to change the subject?

It's obvious you are intimidated if not downright scared. PM me and we can set up a day for you to see if your "Napoleanic" comments are indeed true. Remember, you're the tough guy who can handle things like "Matt Hughes" does (LOL). Let's see if you can back it up in real life.

Yeah, thats it, Slim. I'm intimidated. :laugh:

Still cant figure out why you're yearning for a PM.

Even during the Jet vs Nitecap wars, Nitecap never pleaded for a PM.

And dont worry about me backing it up in real life, bro.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, unlike yourself.

I know I can rear naked choke a dude that Goldbergs me from the blind-side.

jetproppilot said:
Yeah, thats it, Slim. I'm intimidated. :laugh:

Still cant figure out why you're yearning for a PM.

Even during the Jet vs Nitecap wars, Nitecap never pleaded for a PM.

And dont worry about me backing it up in real life, bro.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, unlike yourself.

I know I can rear naked choke a dude that Goldbergs me from the blind-side.

Translation: I talked big on the net but can't back it up in real life.

You hear that jetprop? It's them laughing at you for backing down.

How does it feel showing yourself as a coward?

Misterioso said:
Translation: I talked big on the net but can't back it up in real life.

You hear that jetprop? It's them laughing at you for backing down.

How does it feel showing yourself for a coward?

Coward? Sorry. Cant live up to that. And I dont feel your coerced need to prove it to you.

So lets put our petty personal stuff aside.

I ask you again.

Why are you frequenting SDN anesthesia?

I'm a frequent, positive contributor to this forum. You, on the other hand, are here only to stir s hit.

Keep it up, Slim, and your Mysterioso will be mysteriosly banned.

jetproppilot said:
Coward? Sorry. Cant live up to that.

You already have.

Maybe one day you'll find the ability to back up the stuff you say online. Until then you've shown your true colors as being a tough guy behind the keyboard and a puzzy in real life.

Anyway, I'll leave you to collect whatever little dignity you may have left.

Misterioso said:
You already have.

Maybe one day you'll find the ability to back up the stuff you say online. Until then you've shown your true colors as being a tough guy behind the keyboard and a puzzy in real life.

Anyway, I'll leave you to collect whatever little dignity you may have left.

I've got proven dignity on this forum.

You, on the other hand, are a transient, arrogant, antagonistic, attention-yearning individual, begging for PMs ( :eek: ).

Again, I've yet to figure that out.

You initially presented yourself as a budding health professional, then descended to a provoking, pathologic individual. I think it was Tough that warned that you may be the type that climbs atop a high building with a thirty-ought-six, looking for a target.

I'm now thinking that prognosis was right.

Yeah, I feel the need to PM you, and perpetuate your pathologic needs. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.