analytical chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexterraz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone have to take this course as an undergrad? I'm a biochem major and plan to take this class, along with the lab, organic 2, organic 2 lab, and calculus 3 next semester...does this seem like a schedule thats certainly "do-able?" Also, how is analytical? I study alot, but also am going to need lots of DAT time next semester as I am taking them come this April. Any input would be nice.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Those are some tough classes. I must warn you. Plus you will be studying for the DAT, Hmmmm. .... i don't know. You have to consider the DAT prep as a 4-5 credit course. How many credits are you taking as it is? Why are you in such a rush? You don't have to fulfill your major before you apply to dental school. You can always indicate the courses you plan on taking in the future on your AADSAS.

Also,how high is your GPA? Have you taken tough courses in 1 semester like you plan on doing? It all comes down to you. Personally, I don't think I would be able to handle it.

dexterraz said:
Did anyone have to take this course as an undergrad? I'm a biochem major and plan to take this class, along with the lab, organic 2, organic 2 lab, and calculus 3 next semester...does this seem like a schedule thats certainly "do-able?" Also, how is analytical? I study alot, but also am going to need lots of DAT time next semester as I am taking them come this April. Any input would be nice.
Thanks!

Yeah thats doable. But you will have lots of lab time :).

Analytical lab is more tedious than o chem lab for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, be prepared to spend a lot of time in lab. I remember Organic 2 lab taking forever most every week and that was when it did work out. Analytical is a good amount of time, usually it took 5-6 hours a week of being in there.

Calc 3 wasn't bad at all; It was one of the easiest maths i took, but it's a little abstract.

I'd say that looks like a pretty good semester. Is that all you're taking that semester?

I don't know for your school, but in my school, all we have to do for analytical has titration of known mass of compounds and all you have to do is to get three 'threshold values' and we are done with the actual experience, than you just have to plug it into an equation to get the actual mass.

If you know and enjoy math, then anal. chem should be easy.

Calc. 3 was fun, i enjoyed it.

Analytical chem wasnt bad, time consuming, but not bad.

Are you taking P-chem?

Hey this is dexterraz (diff name...I like this one better)
Anywho, thanks for all the wonderful replies! This board is great stuff! Anyways, I think the schedule is certainly "doable" for myself, but then again, I see that analytical will be quite time consuming. Those are all the classes I will be taking this semester, so I hope it goes alright. I may do a little research at the medical school on campus (I go to University of Florida). With that said, I am all smiles after waltzing out of my organic chem teachers class knowing he'll happily write me a letter of reccomendation for dental school!!! This is great! Ah...the power of the shmooze.

ps: no I'll be taking p-chem fall of my senior year next year.

Definately a doable schedule. Those classes will help in your studying for the DAT. I don't know how it is in your school, but at my school (USC) Analytical Chemistry is just an advanced version of General Chemistry, so it should help you with your review for the general chemistry section of the DAT.

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Analytical is very time consuming. The lab is something I wouldn't do again. The lecture portion was challenging, but not horrible. My teacher also wasn't very good.

go take physical biochem too

Analytical is the devil.

Everyone told me that this class was cake, but analytical is going to be the first "C" on my transcript. I'm pretty cheesed off about it because I've earned over 150 credits without one "C", and now in my senior year analytical is tanking my no "C" policy.

People that have a good sense for math seem to have little problem with this class. After getting a 16 in the QR section of the DAT and now doing poorly in analytical I'm realizing that I need to improve my math skills.