Anaphylaxis and Intubation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrangerX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a patient has respiratory distress and anaphylaxis/angioedema type picture, will you intubate first and then give the epinephrine or will you still give the epi first? I mean there is a chance that the patient could not have anaphylaxis and therefore not respond to epi (C1 esterase deficiency).

Members don't see this ad.

If a patient has respiratory distress and anaphylaxis/angioedema type picture, will you intubate first and then give the epinephrine or will you still give the epi first? I mean there is a chance that the patient could not have anaphylaxis and therefore not respond to epi (C1 esterase deficiency).

Uworld says epi first. Secrets and kaplan say ABCs first.

No clue who to believe.

The epi might relieve some of the airway edema therefore making your intubation easier.

Not to mention you should be able to stick them with an IM epi while you're preping the intubation supplies.