Anasthesia to Urgent care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

post call

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some honest answers here... know a friend who's an old anathesia grad 20 yrs out...stopped working for family reasons...now wants to try to go back work but into urgent care...(dont ask me why not anaesthesia)....did a yr of IM before anasthesia residency..where would they stand? Is there pretty much any on the job training or is it to go complete a FP/IM residency? Also what abt going into primary care?

Members don't see this ad.

They'd probably suck at it, like anyone trying to do something they aren't trained or even well suited for.

Doesn't mean they couldn't get a job doing it, though. Urgent care is a dumping ground for washed up doctors who can't do anything else.

i bet there's enough OA and LBP people in urgent care

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Gawd, really?... that's... scary.

You go from a specialty where you rely on multiple high tech precision monitors, stat data feedback, instant access to therapeutics, that focuses mainly on the cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurologic system... to a specialty where the answer between nothing & limb-life threatening conditions are hidden in the history/physical, labs that don't come back for days, multiple diagnostic uncertainties, therapeutic leaps of faith where access to support is limited?

Does he know how to suture, read his own MSK films, examine an eye, work up abdominal pain in a young female, calm down & examine a sick child with a waiting room full of people?

I mean, I managed the ventilator my intern year too, but come on...

I'd rather your friend work as a ICU in house cross cover at night or as a house officer/code runner at a nursing home than do ambulatory work... even then, I noticed that many anesthesiologists don't run too many codes, since their training mainly limited them to airway & most OR patients don't/shouldn't krunk...

Last edited:
I know how to intubate, can work in OR too?