Transitioning from hospitalist back to primary care. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SXMMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working on transitioning back to primary care after 2-3 years of adult hospitalist work after residency. I'm a little out of touch with key things to look for (or avoid) in primary care jobs and was hoping to get some feedback; I'm seeking 4-4.5 day work week no ob +/- peds. I'm shooting for compensation in range of 275k-300k on 20-25 patients per day plus retention/sign on/student loan repayment in the Midwest. Is this realistic?

My list of things to look into so far:
-staffing: RN, MA ratio to MD
-NP/PA supervision expectations
-telemedicine policies/volume
-mychart message policies
-expected patient volume: how many total in a day, how much time for new patients vs follow ups vs hospital discharge
-controlled substance policies
-expected/encouraged office procedures
-pay structure: salary guarantee and rvu bonus, retention, student loan and sign on bonuses
-CME
-PTO
-Call schedule
-Malpractice coverage with tail

Anything I'm missing? Anything I'm over emphasizing?

Appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
-pay structure: salary guarantee and rvu bonus, retention, student loan and sign on bonuses

How much weight, if any, do Press-Ganey survey results play into your salary?

How much weight, if any, do your quality measure metrics play into your salary? If it is a lot, which quality metrics are they tracking? Are they the usual ones (pap smear compliance, what percentage of your diabetics have an A1C < 8, colon cancer screening compliance) or do they have other ones (antibiotic use, MRI over-ordering, etc.)? And if it is a lot, then which EHR do they use? Using Epic and Care Everywhere make a big difference in this regard.

How are Medicare patients (and their oh-so-fun Medicare Wellness Visits) handled?

Reactions: 2 users