Anatomy and Physiology for Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firaskais

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student. I want to take your opinion guys on something that's actually got me upset. It's about A&P subject. I actually studied AP in high school it was only a few superficial information within biology (totally useless and it wasn't in English). So, I took AP last year in college and it was superficial too! for anatomy, they didn't teach us the veins for example not a single thing only the heart chambers nothing more or lymphatic system, we didn't study it's physiology neither it's anatomy and much more which was cancelled. I actually feel upset I mean isn't AP essential for someone who's a part of the medical team? I heard some people say it's not necessary for a pharmacist to know the bones, nerves or the physiology of bone formation for example. It's unnecessary. So guys, what do you think? should I start self-studying AP? or it would be a waste of time!?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe your teachers just suck @ showing you how A&P applies to pharmacy.
Just go look @ the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, how that works & how it's relevant to many, many drugs & disease states

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe your teachers just suck @ showing you how A&P applies to pharmacy.
Just go look @ the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, how that works & how it's relevant to many, many drugs & disease states

yeah, I know. Actually we studied the renin-angiotensin system.but not wasn't deep enough though. What about the bones and veins of leg, face etc.. do you think it is essential for pharmacists? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m having difficulty envisioning a scenario where pure anatomical knowledge one way or the other has influenced a pharmacotherapy decision.

I mean, osteo on the 5th metatarsal gets treated the same as a T4 r/o osteomyelitis/diskitis, i just look like an idiot if I referred to the latter as the pt’s foot.

Vs. say a vascular nurse that has to know that an IJ line is NOT accessed via the femoral vein, or an ICU nurse that needs to know the difference between a craniotomy vs craniectomy.

I guess maybe the difference between a UEDVT vs a LEDVT when referencing only the anatomy (brachial vs popliteal vs something else?)

In any case, my university didn’t even teach a&p, all the pre-meds and other pre-health kids had to crowd the local junior college and take it over the summer. I retained more anatomy just listening to docs and reading chart notes than looking at a book.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

yeah, I know. Actually we studied the renin-angiotensin system.but not wasn't deep enough though. What about the bones and veins of leg, face etc.. do you think it is essential for pharmacists? Thank you.

Not really...but it’s nice to know right away the level of trauma an MVA/MVC has when the trauma surgeon lists what exactly broke on a pt’s face.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The 5000 level mam phys course I took in undergrad was far more in-depth than the A&P class we had P1 year. The pharmacy version focused more on the P and less on the A.

My school didn’t teach anatomy at all. We just had physiology. Drugs don’t usually care about the names of things.