-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anatomy Coloring Book
Started by Talpa
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has anyone used an anatomy coloring book? Are these helpful or just childish?
This was already discussed. Use the search tab to find thread, but I believe the general consensus was that it is not worth it. Pick up a copy of Netter or Rohen if you want to learn anatomy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The problem with the book is that the stuff you color is stuff you would be able to learn in a little while with your cadaver anyways. It is just not an efficient high-yield use of time. A much better use of time is to be in the lab as much as you can stand. After that, use Rohen. Use Netter for big picture stuff, and use a baby moore for clinical correlation. Use Chung to study for an exam AFTER you have used your Rohen, Netter, and Moore. That is how I would do it.
The problem with the book is that the stuff you color is stuff you would be able to learn in a little while with your cadaver anyways. It is just not an efficient high-yield use of time. A much better use of time is to be in the lab as much as you can stand. After that, use Rohen. Use Netter for big picture stuff, and use a baby moore for clinical correlation. Use Chung to study for an exam AFTER you have used your Rohen, Netter, and Moore. That is how I would do it.
I totally agree with this advice. Use Netter/Grants AND Rohen. Also if your school uses Grant's Dissector it is a valuable learning resource that a lot of people take it for granted.
Wow, you guys used Chung's BRS up North? I had the great privilege of learning Gross Anatomy from Dr. Chung. Chung's was our bible, but I was very disappointed with the illustrations (is that a posterior view or an anterior view??) and with some of the errors that crept into the latest edition of the book - there are a large number of typesetting errors that embarrassed Chung greatly. If you know Chung, however, some of the errors are his - there's a question about a "he" who cut a vein that was not the same on both sides - the correct answer was "ovarian vein." As I understand it, pronouns in Korean are not gender-specific and he never seemed to grasp how important it is in English. I probably got more out of Chung's than you guys, however, because I also took Chung's exams!!The problem with the book is that the stuff you color is stuff you would be able to learn in a little while with your cadaver anyways. It is just not an efficient high-yield use of time. A much better use of time is to be in the lab as much as you can stand. After that, use Rohen. Use Netter for big picture stuff, and use a baby moore for clinical correlation. Use Chung to study for an exam AFTER you have used your Rohen, Netter, and Moore. That is how I would do it.
I'm going to disagree just a little bit. I knew some people who used the Anatomy Coloring Book for everything, and I thought that was a waste of time also. I did use the Anatomy Coloring Book for learning the muscles of the arm, hand, leg, and foot, however, and I found coloring while I was memorizing to be very helpful. Whether or not it's worth $20 or $25 just for arm/leg muscles is a judgement call - I didn't really like anatomy and was willing to get any extra help. If you do buy the coloring book, though, make sure you get the Kapit (author) Anatomy Coloring Book - there are two other editions that are for undergrad anatomy and they're useless for medical school.
Wow, you guys used Chung's BRS up North? I had the great privilege of learning Gross Anatomy from Dr. Chung. Chung's was our bible, but I was very disappointed with the illustrations (is that a posterior view or an anterior view??) and with some of the errors that crept into the latest edition of the book - there are a large number of typesetting errors that embarrassed Chung greatly. If you know Chung, however, some of the errors are his - there's a question about a "he" who cut a vein that was not the same on both sides - the correct answer was "ovarian vein." As I understand it, pronouns in Korean are not gender-specific and he never seemed to grasp how important it is in English. I probably got more out of Chung's than you guys, however, because I also took Chung's exams!!
I'm going to disagree just a little bit. I knew some people who used the Anatomy Coloring Book for everything, and I thought that was a waste of time also. I did use the Anatomy Coloring Book for learning the muscles of the arm, hand, leg, and foot, however, and I found coloring while I was memorizing to be very helpful. Whether or not it's worth $20 or $25 just for arm/leg muscles is a judgement call - I didn't really like anatomy and was willing to get any extra help. If you do buy the coloring book, though, make sure you get the Kapit (author) Anatomy Coloring Book - there are two other editions that are for undergrad anatomy and they're useless for medical school.
I loved my Chung, but there is just no way to use it as a primary text. THe pictures are frankly horrible, the organization is a bit odd, and there are enough errors to make it necessary to use it as only a review. That being said, I think it is the best way possible to review, and make sure you know everything that you need to know.
The problem I had with the coloring books is that the 2D page never quite seemed to translate to the cadaver for me for some reason. I found that just going to the lab and playing "Got It" with a few people alternating picking up a muscle was much more high yield.
I'd have to agree with you. I hated being in anatomy lab and resisted it whenever I could until mid-semester - but once I started going down one evening a week my lab practical grades went up quite a bit (we had 24-hour card access and I learned a great deal more when I didn't have 80 people milling around the room).I loved my Chung, but there is just no way to use it as a primary text. THe pictures are frankly horrible, the organization is a bit odd, and there are enough errors to make it necessary to use it as only a review. That being said, I think it is the best way possible to review, and make sure you know everything that you need to know.
The problem I had with the coloring books is that the 2D page never quite seemed to translate to the cadaver for me for some reason. I found that just going to the lab and playing "Got It" with a few people alternating picking up a muscle was much more high yield.
Chung's is a good book, but it is indeed useless as a primary text. He tries to go through things structure-by-structure, but he ends up mentioning terms that he doesn't define until 5 or 10 pages later - very frustrating. For review, it's about as compact as anything could be. It was great for us in lecture, however, because he can give any lecture off the top of his head and it matches his book outline point-by-point (but the lecture makes much more sense with PowerPoints).
I don't think you can have too many resources for gross. I own Chung's, Netter's, Moore's, Rohen's, the coloring book, and I bought a used copy of Grant's for head-and-neck because I liked the tables and narratives that it has that Netter's does not. Netter was a brilliant painter and it's a great way to learn, but I was highly disappointed when I found out that real nerves aren't bright yellow. Rohen's is the only thing to use when studying for a lab practical - but being in the lab is even better.
Netter flash cards, they are the bomb
No really, $35 on amazon.com. Awesome for quick exam review.
No really, $35 on amazon.com. Awesome for quick exam review.
I can't imagine a bigger waste of time. Coloring for anatomy has got to be the least efficient studying method that I've heard of at this point in time.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 912