Anatomy Dissections? Do we do in podiatric schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anatomy Dissections? Do we do in podiatric schools just as medical students do. and are all subjects like medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes we do. I can't speak for the other schools, but at Scholl we take anatomy with the meds. However, we also take a supplemental anatomy course on the lower extremity.

cool_vkb said:
Anatomy Dissections? Do we do in podiatric schools just as medical students do. and are all subjects like medical schools.

Majority of the basic sciences courses in the first two years of Podiatry school are pretty much same basic science courses taught in the first two years of MD/DO school. In fact, students at DMU and AZPOD sit in the same classroom as the DO students for the basic science courses in the first two years. In the General Anatomy and the Lower Extremity Anatomy Courses, the Podiatry Students are expected to do full cadaver dissections like any other MD/DO student would. Of course, a separate Lower Extremity Anatomy course is taken by DPM student only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was previlidged to have learned my anatomy from a cadaver and I think my success with gross anatomy and lower was contingent on the time invested dissecting and studying for those classes on a daily basis - The fundamentals of medicine begin at Anatomy - you must know your anatomy inside out - ESPECIALLY lower anatomy of course. Learning the material and understanding it early on makes life ALOT easiear thereafter - trust me!

You definately do dissecting on a cadaver! It's almost a reward after years of dissecting other animals, and maybe seeing a cadaver and poking at it. Even though I'm sure there are some undergrad schools that have way more money than my school did.

molldoll2010dpm said:
You definately do dissecting on a cadaver! It's almost a reward after years of dissecting other animals, and maybe seeing a cadaver and poking at it. Even though I'm sure there are some undergrad schools that have way more money than my school did.

Totally agree with you, it is an honor to be able to dissect a human cadaver :D :thumbup:

In my undergrad we used cats from the humane society. :( While other private schools in the area were using cadavers.

Just think...in less than four weeks we will be cutting into some cadavers. ;)

cool_vkb said:
VKB,

Are you a non-native English speaker? I've noticed on your posts, you seem to struggle with grammar. If you speak another language, what language do you speak? :)

yes, iam an Indian. i moved to USA 3yrs back.

AZPOD Rocks said:
VKB,

Are you a non-native English speaker? I've noticed on your posts, you seem to struggle with grammar. If you speak another language, what language do you speak? :)

cool_vkb said:
yes, iam an Indian. i moved to USA 3yrs back.
I hope to visit India someday. It looks very cool on television!

doclm said:
Totally agree with you, it is an honor to be able to dissect a human cadaver :D :thumbup:

In my undergrad we used cats from the humane society. :( While other private schools in the area were using cadavers.

Just think...in less than four weeks we will be cutting into some cadavers. ;)

I'm actually excited for school to start!! I know school will be intense, but I might actually be less busy than I am now because I won't be working. I'm looking forward to my first slice into the cadaver!!!

molldoll2010dpm said:
I'm actually excited for school to start!! I know school will be intense, but I might actually be less busy than I am now because I won't be working. I'm looking forward to my first slice into the cadaver!!!

We got the priviledge of dissecting cadavers in my undergrad anatomy lab course :D Goodluck with POD school!