Anatomy instead of Biology, other pre req q's

Started by maybenycpt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maybenycpt

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an aspiring physical therapist, I might also end up going the route of PA or NP, but I just wanted to know if i can take Anatomy and Physiology instead of General Bio?

I was a politics major in undergrad and have no science classes, and it has been extremely difficult to do years more undergrad before i can even think of applying to a physical therapy school.

Does anyone know if a) A and P will suffice for my bio cred and b) have any helpful solutions to getting it done faster??

Also does it look bad if I take classes at a community college? I am currently taking pysch at city college and Statistics at Hunter college, but will most likely be moving to Brooklyn before the year is out and will not have to want to commute to Manhattan for class.
 
Check with your prospective schools, some don't require a Bio course, though most do! And it is fine to take some pre-reqs at community college, but again you need to research with your schools because requirements vary from school to school. Check out APTA website or PTCAS.
 
I also would like to know.. bio is sometimes a pre req for anatomy classes and I was hoping I don't need to take it with A & P I and II done... Some schools list it as a pre req though so I doubt they would let that slide if listed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For most schools you need both.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep
 
Most programs I have seen require both. If you're going to skip Gen Bio 1 and 2, make sure that not only the schools you're applying to don't require it, but also that your school doesn't require them to take A&P and other upper division bio classes (the schools around here do).

As for doing A&P quick style, I took accelerated A&P 1 and 2 in one semester. They offered A&P 1 for the first half of the semester (Aug-Oct) and then A&P 2 the second half (Oct-Dec). Maybe see if your school offers the same deal. But if you do this, be prepared for an exam every 1.5 weeks.
 
Most programs will require A/P I and II with labs. My undergrad titled them bio 201 / 202 and some PT schools require two more bio (gen and micro for example). Don't know of any PT programs that let you slid on the AP. If you're applying to a number of programs you will want to cover the classes for the program that requires the most......some had 10 others had 12, some are adding exercise physio to their requirements.
 
another similar question ..

Do you know if Human Growth and Development would count as a psych course?
 
check w/ the schools...........developmental covered infant to teens. should be an upper level class. read the course description.