Anatomy required for admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the few dental schools that require anatomy as a prerequisite, does anyone know if this course needs to be taken at a 4 year university or can we take it at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school, but it's likely that most will accept a CC A&P, however the unfortunate reality is, they would probably prefer you do it at a 4 year. It's the same with biochemistry, I know off hand that UCSF specifies it must be taken at a 4 year university.

OHSU and Midwestern for example did accept my A&P from a CC.

As Kahr said, it seems to vary from school to school. Have you checked at the specific school's websites?

Some seem to be indifferent to it, some prefer it to be from a 4-year, and some require it to be from a 4 year. That is where the variance comes in. Something else helpful to look at is the ADEA Official Guide if you could manage to get your hands on it. I've found a lot of useful information in it (whether it be confirmatory or new info).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my A&P I and II at a community college and Midwestern accepted it, meaning I got accepted there. However, anatomy was the only class I took at a community college. All of my other pre-reqs were taken at a 4 yr University.

I took my A&P I and II at a community college and Midwestern accepted it, meaning I got accepted there. However, anatomy was the only class I took at a community college. All of my other pre-reqs were taken at a 4 yr University.

More the exception than anything. Take it at a 4yr University or contact schools directly. No matter what you don't want more than 1 or 2 of prereqs at a CC.