Anatomy TA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onigiri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating on whether I should be an anatomy TA bc I am worried that 4-6 hours a week will inhibit me from learning other classes well in my first year of medical school, for instance, physiology, which I hear is greatly important.

Will being an anatomy TA be a great plus for residency applications?

P.s. I will not be pursuing surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am debating on whether I should be an anatomy TA bc I am worried that 4-6 hours a week will inhibit me from learning other classes well in my first year of medical school, for instance, physiology, which Inhear is greatly important.

Will being an anatomy TA be a great plus for residency applications?
Nope. Be a TA if you want to, because program directors couldn't care less

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will care for residency what you were a TA in. You do it because it helps solidify the material in your mind when you help others understand it and/or because you get paid. Doubt the time will impact your ability to learn other stuff unless your study process involves a lot of time.

I was an anatomy TA because I enjoyed anatomy and dissection, as well as teaching--and I wanted a good review (we TA'd between second and third years). Was a great experience that I would wholeheartedly recommend.

That said, if you do poorly on your Step 1 or core rotations, your anatomy TA experience will NOT get you noticed by residency program directors. It can be a nice interview piece, and it might be useful if you're interested in surgery or radiology. But don't do it to impress program directors--especially if there is any concern that your grades or Step 1 score will suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user