Trying to get pregnant... how to approach anatomy/formalin exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C564

Reaction score
First of all, and I cannot believe I have to say this, I am NOT asking for your comments on my reproductive choices. kthx

I'm currently trying to conceive and I know anatomy lab is coming up soon. I've done quite a bit of reading regarding risk of formaldehyde exposure to the embryo/fetus, and I have found that the evidence is far from conclusive but there is enough cause for concern that I would like to take extra steps to limit my exposure. Knowing that the greatest risk of most teratogens is in the early first trimester, I don't want to wait until I know I'm pregnant to start taking precautions. I know that my school does offer vapor-filtering masks for pregnant students and people sensitive to formaldehyde. My question to you guys is how do I approach this to get the protection I feel I need without announcing to the world that I'm pregnant or trying to be, before I'm ready? I feel like people know that the women wearing masks are preggo.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, and I cannot believe I have to say this, I am NOT asking for your comments on my reproductive choices. kthx

I'm currently trying to conceive and I know anatomy lab is coming up soon. I've done quite a bit of reading regarding risk of formaldehyde exposure to the embryo/fetus, and I have found that the evidence is far from conclusive but there is enough cause for concern that I would like to take extra steps to limit my exposure. Knowing that the greatest risk of most teratogens is in the early first trimester, I don't want to wait until I know I'm pregnant to start taking precautions. I know that my school does offer vapor-filtering masks for pregnant students and people sensitive to formaldehyde. My question to you guys is how do I approach this to get the protection I feel I need without announcing to the world that I'm pregnant or trying to be, before I'm ready? I feel like people know that the women wearing masks are preggo.
Maybe you just dislike the smell of formaldehyde. Wear a mask and don’t assume your classmates will jump to any conclusions

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, if your school offers a mask, then wear it. I left anatomy lab every day with a pounding headache, red eyes, and burning skin. I had to shower immediately afterward. I wasn't offered a mask, but I would have taken one if that had been available.

It's no one's business but your own. If anyone asks, tell them you're sensitive. But also, who cares what they think? Frankly, most people in medical school are just trying to stay afloat. They're probably not paying any attention to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’d need a full PAPR or a full face vapor cartridge respirator if you don’t want to get exposed. N-95 isn’t enough to filter vapors.

I can barely stand to be in a PAPR or full ventilation mask for 20-30 min. I can’t even imagine an anatomy lab. I’d highly suggest you try one of these systems before assuming it will work. It’s either that or you wait a few months if you’re worried or roll the dice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I feel like people know that the women wearing masks are preggo.

I would've assumed a person wearing a mask couldn't tolerate the chemical smell, which I think is actually the most common reason for medical students to request masks. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude my classmates all wore masks anyway, it smells horribly in there.

A classmate was in the same situation as you and wore this Darth Vader mask thing (I'm exaggerating, but it was some kind of big filter/breather). Nobody is going to care I promise, they'll be worried about the fact they just removed some poor guy's face/arm/leg/etc......

No one cares. It’s anatomy lab and it smells bad. Wear a mask if you want.

Reactions: 1 user

Take an LOA or get the kind of air filtration mask that auto body painters use.

Tell people you're sensitive to formaldehyde.

Last edited:
Good luck!

I agree with everyone here and get a proper mask. No shame about asking for help here. You can see if the lab safety staff can get you an exposure badge if you are really worried.

Consider talking to the anatomy director. Be honest and tell them you are trying to start a family--maybe they can put you and other more health conscious folks on the same team in a room with a much higher air exchange (some labs may have it).

I get that could be a bit awkward to talk about, but I guarantee you won't be the first to talk with the professor about the possibility of getting pregnant during anatomy/health concerns.

I agree with others--the smell of anatomy lab is etched in anything that goes there. I really liked the lab coat I bought for the lab, but after trying to wash it four times it smelled just as bad as it did before washing it. My hands always smelt of formaldehyde.

There may be other options. Maybe you don't spend much time in dissection, but instead more time observing others dissections. Personally, I think dissection time is overrated, and what was more valuable was quizzing each other (on the cadaver)/looking at anatomic variants. But many (particularly old school professors) will disagree.

Reactions: 5 users
people wearing masks is the last thing people are worried about in medical school. i doubt many people will notice/care. I would not conclude at all that a woman with a mask is pregnant and im an attending.

Thanks for all the answers. For the record, there is no way I would take a LOA to have a baby unless it was medically necessary, and I ruled out any school on the interview trail that didn't have a good answer to the question "how do you support pregnant students and parents?" Med schools know they are accepting a large number of reproductively capable students in their prime reproductive years, so they need to get with the times and have good plans for pregnancy/postpartum other than just "uhhh...how 'bout you just don't come in for a while and we'll stall your progress?"

I had a great conversation with my anatomy course director who was very supportive and agreeable to keeping our discussion between us and the lab safety manager. This was important to me because I don't feel the need to share my family planning process with my other professors or administrators any more than with other students. They have masks available (and yes, our safety person did already give us the reminder that standard surgical masks and N95s are not adequate protection again vapors) for any student who needs them, no questions asked.

I appreciate all of you who were able to share that you would probably not make assumptions regarding pregnancy status of someone wearing a mask! I guess because it's on my mind I felt like it might be on more of my classmates' minds as well, but the reality is that there will probably be very few pregnancies out of the large group of us, and most of them will probably happen in M3 or M4 rather than M1. If it comes up, I will simply share that I am sensitive to the formaldehyde and move along with my day.

• Care