Anatomy vs. Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kentavr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know, if Anatomy & Physiology (I,II) with 8 credits can replace (substitute) the General Biology in Med School admission requirements?

Thanks,
kentavr

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know, if Anatomy & Physiology (I,II) with 8 credits can replace (substitute) the General Biology in Med School admission requirements?

Thanks,
kentavr

Pretty sure the answer is "no." Those would be considered electives.

I seriously doubt you could get away with taking physiology and calling it bio, and you wouldn't be prepared to take the MCAT. If you look at the list of MCAT bio topics, that's what's covered in 1st year premed bio. In my bio series, physio was about 1/6 of the subject matter.

That said, taking MORE physiology than what's in 1st year bio is a great idea. There's a ton of it on the MCAT, there's forty tons of it in med school, and it's interesting as hell.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks,
kentavr

yeah I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was safe with A and P but it's nnot good enough you need biology as I was told by my pre med advisor. Plus bio is heavy on the MCAT. You must be a nursing major like me well "was" a nursing major.

Thanks, guys!
You saved me a lot of time and troubles. I still think to take Anatomy & Physiology. It’s in very convenient time for me (Saturdays). But I will not hope to substitute it for Biology. In my area most of Biology classes starts in the morning when I am working. I still have to find biologist who will be doing lectures and labs in the evening. I hope that there are such spices in the World.

A major thing that A&P doesn't cover that you need Bio for is the intro to genetics, dna, etc.

In Texas - my A&P and microbiology from nursing school prereqs counted as biology credits. Their course #s were through the bio dept, nobody ever said anything one way or the other, but they did count. I never took Bio II.

In Texas - my A&P and microbiology from nursing school prereqs counted as biology credits. Their course #s were through the bio dept, nobody ever said anything one way or the other, but they did count. I never took Bio II.

I took A&P and later found that they do not count for bio prereqs at most schools. They do count for some, but you will be very limited in where you apply. I took 2 A&P classes geared toward nursing students through the bio department and found that they actually prepared me well for the MCAT. I got a 10 in BS with the two A&P classes being the only bio classes I had taken prior to the MCAT.