and now we wait... PT school advice anyone?

Started by kmw12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kmw12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks in advance for anyone who responds! I'm a little nervous, I just submitted my PTCAS today, so to bide my time if any one can let me know of my chances or if they have advice concerning the schools I applied to that would be great!

Undergrad: University of Georgia
Major: Exercise and Sport Science
Overall GPA: 3.24
Pre-req GPA: depends on the school but b/t 3.2-3.3
Last 40 hours: 3.40
GRE: 550V, 490Q, 4.0A (I'm definitely not the best standardized test taker)

Extra Curric: Georgia Dance Team (just got it this past semester!), UGA HEROs (about 10 hours), pre physical therapy organization since freshman year

Observation: 160 hours outpatient, peds, inpatient

Work: I also worked about 340 hours at a children's fitness center over the summer that my peds PT said was a pretty good starting point for pediatric physical therapy.

Applied: Pitt, Chatham, USF, UNF, Nova

Pitt and Chatham are definitely my top two choices so hopefully I'll get into one of those! I'm just worried that my low pre-req and quantitative GRE score will just lead my app to be tossed aside. I'm definitely not the best test taker although my grades have improved over the past three semesters. I tried to emphasize my work at the children's fitness center in my essay and I honestly think that it was one of the best experiences for me. I became a lead teacher and was able to apply a lot of what I learned to the peds PT clinic.

Again, thanks for anyone who responds and if anyone needs advice I'd be happy to help!

Best of luck!🙂
 
Last edited:
It looks like you've got a good app, especially with those cool experiences. It probably made writing the essay fairly easy. I wouldn't call your GPA or GRE low. They might not be extremely high, but your numbers are not at all unusual for accepted PT students.

I applied to Pitt as well. I wonder how many applicants they get each year! We'll have to keep each other informed regarding when we hear from them. From threads in this forum, it seems that Pitt generally doesn't contact you until they're sending an actual decision. Some of the other schools I've applied to have sent notifications that my application is received/complete/under evaluation.

This waiting game is no fun though! I'm still completing my prerequisites this year, so at least I have that to focus on to pass the time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I definitely will! I've heard the same about PITT, and just got the e-mail from Chatham today saying they have received my materials. I actually read the "congratulations" part first and got really excited... and then I read the rest. It was not fun to say the least.

Thanks so much and good luck to both of you!
 
Yeah I definitely will! I've heard the same about PITT, and just got the e-mail from Chatham today saying they have received my materials. I actually read the "congratulations" part first and got really excited... and then I read the rest. It was not fun to say the least.

Thanks so much and good luck to both of you!

Haha, well at least you received the confirmation. I emailed one school to ensure they had my GRE, and they responded a few days later that they did. I'm pretty sure I'm just getting paranoid about the details, but it would be so awful to get dismissed for one of those little details after you've put in so much work toward this goal.
 
Oh I hate when I get a confirmation email and they all start off with "congratulations". It makes me so excited but then it is only a confirmation! Hopefully one of these days I will have an email or letter that says "Congratulations! You have been accepted!"

I also applied to Nova! They have been great to stay in contact with. Everytime I have called them to discuss any of my application materials they have been great! No word yet on interviews or anything like that yet!