And you thought pharmacy was bad?!

Started by RX CARE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So rph3664 is a pharmacist, and she's employed in the garden shop. She's an employed pharmacist. If she was a recent grad, would that count? Most would say no, but a strict "employed? yes or no" survey would put her in the "yes" column.

No, she is not an employed pharmacist. She left the profession. When I was in graduate school (education), we tracked the employment status of our graduates. rph3664 would be counted as "Employed, outside of her profession." Not unemployed but not working in the field for which she was trained.


As I've said before, $30k / 52 weeks / 60 hours/week is under $10/hr. Maybe it's not random, but it is low paying. I know you're doing it for the training and experience, etc, etc, but ultimately, you are working at the full capacity of a pharmacist and making $10/hr.

Well, I make more than 30K and have never personally worked 60 hours/week as a resident, but that's irrelevant. I am not unemployed. I'm not eligible for unemployment or government benefits or any of the other hallmarks of "unemployment." It's employment. Call it temporary employment if that makes you feel better, but it's not unemployment.

And a resident shouldn't be working at the "full capacity" of a pharmacist, at least not at first. Residents participate in a structured educational experience with progressive responsibility. It really is different than just going somewhere and working. At my site, for example, I do the things that the staffing pharmacists do (just not as much or as often), but I also am responsible for projects, program development, teaching, and other duties that set what I'm doing apart from the staff pharmacists. It's not the same.
 
It's always fun to watch people feeding a troll. :laugh:

As for journalism majors....the only journalism major I've known was working as a pharmacy technician. Seriously, I can think of a lot of majors, whose holders are very unlikely to be working in a career related to their major. The vast majority of pharmacy degrees holders, are working in pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's always fun to watch people feeding a troll. :laugh:

As for journalism majors....the only journalism major I've known was working as a pharmacy technician. Seriously, I can think of a lot of majors, whose holders are very unlikely to be working in a career related to their major. The vast majority of pharmacy degrees holders, are working in pharmacy.

Exactly!
 
One would think SHC would have gone over employed vs unemployed vs underemployed during her ECON pre-req for pharm school 😕

Never took ECON in college. Got the credit from high school.

Let's just make it simple here. If I graduated law school or pharmacy school and I can't find a job that paids me six figures and I am working at some sh*tty job making 30K a year (I am not talking about residencies, that's fine and cool...I am just talking in general if I can't find a REAL job for my degree)....I think it is much less embarrassing for me to tell people that "I have not found the right job for me yet and I am still looking." Then it is for me to tell them, "Oh god, NO I can't find a real job so I am stuck working at Hobby Lobby and living like a pauper. Thanks for asking!"

Yes, you can find whatever crappy job you want to find and define yourself as "employed". But is this really doing yourself a favor? I don't think so....

Like I say, I think telling someone "I am still seeking employment." is much BETTER than "I am working as a cashier! I am EMPLOYED!!!"

But hey, do whatever makes you feel better. Personally, I just don't care for it.
 
Last edited: