Andy, Pingu, here I go...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
pb_gallery15_06.jpg

Does anybody know if I can get the educational discount in the Apple Store, or do I have to order the bloody thing online and wait?

Members don't see this ad.

Havarti666 said:
pb_gallery15_06.jpg

Does anybody know if I can get the educational discount in the Apple Store, or do I have to order the bloody thing online and wait?

Yes. You just have to show a valid ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Andy. You're a real peach. I'm on it right now, by the way. Reminds me of being on your mom, only it's warmer.

Havarti666 said:
Thanks, Andy. You're a real peach. I'm on it right now, by the way. Reminds me of being on your mom, only it's warmer.
Leave my mom out of this. My mom is a saint!

Havarti... your computer is a thing of beauty!!!! Congrats!!

I have a G4 powerbook. It is the bomb.

beary said:
Havarti... your computer is a thing of beauty!!!! Congrats!!

I have a G4 powerbook. It is the bomb.

linux is da bomb......too bad i cant use a G4 powerbook with it!

:)

I went with the 15, and it's ample. And Andy, a Sylvia Saint, perhaps. Stop leaving the door open!

Havarti666 said:
And Andy, a Sylvia Saint, perhaps. Stop leaving the door open!
Dude, wtf are you talking about? :laugh: :confused:

Seriously though, that pathetic excuse for a laptop looks pretty slick, man. :thumbup:

Havarti666 said:
:laugh: :laugh:

Havarti666 said:
And Andy, a Sylvia Saint, perhaps. Stop leaving the door open!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny - this is mocking worthy of the great LADoc. On a more serious note, Andy's mom is really nice (nice as in kind, not as in a MILF). Mocking nice moms is not cool.

If you want to make fun of Andy just pick on his girlfriend... oh no wait, that's no good. It would be bad to upset "her" - after all, he needs those hands to type his 500 messages every day on SDN. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
All in good fun. Good, awful, wicked, mean, evil, nasty, delicious fun.

That reminds me, time for Tex-Mex!

Havarti666 said:
All in good fun. Good, awful, wicked, mean, evil, nasty, delicious fun.

That reminds me, time for Tex-Mex!
Reminds me of what one the residents here said when he saw a tumor: "Oh my God, that is so cool. Terrible and sad... but cool"

deschutes said:
Something tells me it'd be sacrilegeous to ask a question in this here holy ground about Dell Inspirons..

Go ahead. I have a Dell Inspiron. It sucks.

I also have a G4 Powerbook. It rocks.

Any more questions? :laugh:

Seriously though, lots of software that I want is only available for PCs. That is the only bad thing about a mac. That is why I have a Dell as well.

This whole thread is a blasphemy! :laugh:

I have a Dell Inspiron. It pwns.
I have a Dell desktop. It pwns even more...especially for playing games!

AndyMilonakis said:
This whole thread is a blasphemy! :laugh:

I have a Dell Inspiron. It pwns.
I have a Dell desktop. It pwns even more...especially for playing games!

Agreed!!!

Sorry all you Mac lovers....but i think a Mac is an overrated piece of irrelevant electronic equipment....(G4 is ok, but for window dressing purposes only!)

Seamless integration is the name of the game.....No one is going to create a piece of software so that you can maintain your monopoly on hardware....boo!!!

There s only one way to go for Macs in terms usefulness.....DOWN!

Dell Inspirons are good!.....But IBM s are the best !!!!......

I'm surprised the bloodbath hasn't started. Must be the Monday.

If I lived and breathed only in the Continental US, then maybe I would consider a Mac more seriously. But what's with the one-button mouse?

Anyway, back to my original reason for bringing this up:

What sort of specs (GHz SDRAM HDD etc) are we talking about these days for laptops? I figured you guys would be well-informed.

quant said:
Agreed!!!

Sorry all you Mac lovers....but i think a Mac is an overrated piece of irrelevant electronic equipment....(G4 is ok, but for window dressing purposes only!)

Seamless integration is the name of the game.....No one is going to create a piece of software so that you can maintain your monopoly on hardware....boo!!!

There s only one way to go for Macs in terms usefulness.....DOWN!

Dell Inspirons are good!.....But IBM s are the best !!!!......

In all honesty, I find the loyalty that people have to Mac or PC to be quite silly. I had a Macintosh in college, used a variety of PC's and Apples in grad school (wrote my dissertation on an Apple G3), bought a Dell for med school and now I've gone back to Apple for a laptop. I considered a Dell laptop, but I was tired of fighting viruses and spyware and all the little bugs that PC's seem to develop over time. My G3 crashed once in four years, during my lone attempt to "optimize" its performance with Norton Utilities. Lesson learned. The NT workstation in my lab needed an armada of geeks to keep it going.

So maybe in four years Apple really will tank (as people have been predicting for the last 20+ years) and I'll get a PC again. No big deal. For now it's just nice to finally have a new toy.

deschutes said:
I'm surprised the bloodbath hasn't started. Must be the Monday.

If I lived and breathed only in the Continental US, then maybe I would consider a Mac more seriously. But what's with the one-button mouse?

Anyway, back to my original reason for bringing this up:

What sort of specs (GHz SDRAM HDD etc) are we talking about these days for laptops? I figured you guys would be well-informed.

My girlfriend bought a dell inspiron 600M a week ago....

1) A centrino...(Highly highly recommended...the centrino s are amazingly light) I own a Sony Vaio (2.8 Ghz Pentium.It weighs a ton and gives out heat and makes a noise like a dragon belching out fire and sound from both its ends...what can i say?...it plain stinks!... :) )

2) RAM - 256 MB would do admirably. Though if you were into computer intensive applications, 512 MB would be good. Take a 1 SODIMM (It essentially means that you have place to upgrade without having to throw away your old RAM) More RAM if you are into hardcore gaming and a good graphics card

3) Hard Disk size - anything above 40 GB would be good....Saving images?...maybe a 60 GB hard disk....but its a waste in my opinion....(She bought a 60 GB nevertheless....)

4) The front bus - The old ones are 400 MHz. Go for a 533 MHz bus if you can...it can speed up things a bit.

I think these are the main things one needs to look out for.

5) Screens....Dell screens are not great. Best Screens are Toshiba and Sony (SXGA+ if possible)

6) DVD-R+CD-RW should be ok.... CD s arent going anywhere soon....But then you always have the latest USB Jumpdrives coming out. (Heard about the new Seagate 8 GB jump drive??????....EIGHT FRICKING GB!!!)
Rest all are fancy bells and whistles depending on your budget.

My opinion

1) Overall Quality

IBM (T 43) > Toshiba = Sony=Dell >>>>>>>>Gateway,Compaq,HP (Now that is a big mistake!!!)

2) Screen

IBM=Toshiba=Sony > Dell >>>>>Rest all

3) Processor for regular use

Centrino (1.6=1.7=1.8) no difference if you want to surf the net....>> Pentiums >>>>>> Celerons

4) Most Bang for the buck?

Dell >> IBM = Toshiba > Sony.....Rest all are a waste of money!!(Sorry..)

AND YES, Before you say it out loud....I'm a computer nerd!.... :) :)

Havarti666 said:
For now it's just nice to finally have a new toy.

Well i agree with you on that.....one needs to know what is the usage one wants out of a laptop mainly....rest all are mere details....

Im no admirer of Windows though they ARE getting better....(XP Pro is much better than the crap they used to put out earlier.... :) )

quant said:
AND YES, Before you say it out loud....I'm a computer nerd!.... :) :)
Thanks quant that is exactly what I needed. I just want someone to read my mind and give me something that works (low though may it be said in the presence of the Mac), something to love.

I've had a Compaq Presario 1600 for the last 5 years and the biggest reason I took so long to part with it were the JBL Pro speakers. It's now been retired care of my brother - who is about to find out that a 5-year-old laptop really ain't born to game. But it had the same problem as that Sony you speak of - though less so once I moved it far north of the equator.

Just got my VISA card this week - am shopping for a laptop online and am thoroughly confused... I must be such a girl to say this, but I really can't "imagine" the weight of the laptop unless I am lifting it.

Especially in pounds. :oops:

Anyone wanna help me with an estimate? I'm small and this thing is probably going to be carried around a lot. I think my last was 8lbs - waaaay too much!

deschutes said:
Just got my VISA card this week - am shopping for a laptop online and am thoroughly confused... I must be such a girl to say this, but I really can't "imagine" the weight of the laptop unless I am lifting it.

Especially in pounds. :oops:

Anyone wanna help me with an estimate? I'm small and this thing is probably going to be carried around a lot. I think my last was 8lbs - waaaay too much!

Ah!!!

1) The most important thing about the weight of a laptop is that you need to be able to put on your tummy lying down without much discomfort while you surf. I consider this the most important aspect of the weight.
2) Having surfed for a long enough time lying back, you need to be able to take the laptop off your tummy and twist around flat onto your stomach with your elbows supporting your head and continue surfing.....
3) You need to be able to go back to step 1 in a jiffy.....
4) Of course, all the while you are surfing without your shirt on, you should not suffer from a bad case of laptop burn :) :) ....(Trust me you CAN get one...)

That, in my opinion is the most important consideration of a laptop from a weight perspective.

Answer - CENTRINO!.....You can do all of the above and MORE ( ;) ;) )with a lightweight centrino laptop...Weight range? 4-5 lbs should do admirably well...

Any questions?

I'm in the market for a new PC as well. I do love my mac, but it is nice to have a PC as well, and my PC will barely even boot up anymore. I have found cnet.com to be a great site with lots of reviews and advice on buying notebooks and desktops (and just about any other type of electronic equipment). They separate laptops into different categories including one called "thin and light" which sounds like the type of machine deschutes is looking for.

Thanks for the tip!

It doesn't have to be the "thinnest and lightest"... I don't think my credit card could take it. :oops:

Currently debating between the Inspiron 600m and Inspiron 6000. 4lbs or thereabouts would be wonderful. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go make a trip to the store.

deschutes said:
Currently debating between the Inspiron 600m and Inspiron 6000. 4lbs or thereabouts would be wonderful. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go make a trip to the store.

How's the computer hunt going deschutes? I am still looking. Part of me wants to get a Dell, but my last one stunk (Inspiron 4000) and I don't want to deal with shipping and all that. Just want to go pick it up. I am also considering a Sony. What store did you go to? It seems like Best Buy is about the only option around here, and I'm not a fan of them.

beary said:
How's the computer hunt going deschutes? I am still looking. Part of me wants to get a Dell, but my last one stunk (Inspiron 4000) and I don't want to deal with shipping and all that. Just want to go pick it up. I am also considering a Sony. What store did you go to? It seems like Best Buy is about the only option around here, and I'm not a fan of them.

Dont' do it! I just bought a laptop from Best Buy online. WORST customer service experience of my entire life, and that's saying somethin' b/c I have a little bit of a shopping habit. I did like the product (sony vaio) once I actually got it

Best Buy annoys the crap out of me. I like the stores and the stuff they have, and the salespeople are helpful. But damn if they don't go on and on about warranties and special offers and rewards points and blah blah. I hope they know that I now AVOID best buy because of all this crap.

I just got a new computer! It is still in its box (and a very big box I might add - good thing I used to lift weights!) It is a Sony with Intel Pentium D processer, 1024 MB DDR RAM, 250 GB, and a DVDRW drive. I also got a 19" flat panel XBRITE monitor.
:D :cool: :D

yaah said:
Best Buy annoys the crap out of me. I like the stores and the stuff they have, and the salespeople are helpful. But damn if they don't go on and on about warranties and special offers and rewards points and blah blah. I hope they know that I now AVOID best buy because of all this crap.
Yeah, you can avoid most of that crap by buying the stuff on-line. Of course, I still go to the stores to get any additional input and last minute advice from the salespeople in addition to the researching I've done online. But definitely, all that stuff is annoying.

beary said:
I also got a 19" flat panel XBRITE monitor.
That's it? Just a 19''?

Just messin'. I need to find a way to hook up my laptop to my new LCD HDTV.

beary said:
I just got a new computer! It is still in its box (and a very big box I might add - good thing I used to lift weights!) It is a Sony with Intel Pentium D processer, 1024 MB DDR RAM, 250 GB, and a DVDRW drive. I also got a 19" flat panel XBRITE monitor.
:D :cool: :D

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... i have a sony too!!!!!!!!.................i take it is a desktop though? I m looking forward to days of 250 gb laptops.... :) (probably just around the corner too!)

quant said:
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... i have a sony too!!!!!!!!.................i take it is a desktop though?

Yes it is a desktop. This is my first post from it! :)

I can't get the wireless internet working though so right now I am using dial-up. Though I have to work tomorrow so I really should be moving to bed.

beary said:
Yes it is a desktop. This is my first post from it! :)

I can't get the wireless internet working though so right now I am using dial-up. Though I have to work tomorrow so I really should be moving to bed.
No matter how hard I try, I can't go to bed. Was on call until 3 pm today and basically I just spent the afternoon taking intermittent naps, recovering from last night, with the pager clipped to my left earlobe. The pager never ended up going off so that was good...but now my left ear looks all deformed.

AndyMilonakis said:
I need to find a way to hook up my laptop to my new LCD HDTV.

That shouldnt be too hard. If you have an s-video output port (yellow,white and red cables) on your laptop, You can get cables for that in Radio Shack, and it s just a matter of plugging in both ends. But then probably you knew that already.... :) :)

beary said:
How's the computer hunt going deschutes? I am still looking.
Timestamped at 1:25pm.
beary said:
I just got a new computer!
...timestamped at 6:32pm, same day.

LOL you work fast!

I have no idea what Best Buy is. I got so sick of all the researching, and though I would have liked to look at a hard copy of what I was ordering before I hit "Submit", I still don't have a car. And I wasn't about to bus from store to store on a weekend!

I ended up ordering an Inspiron 600M online last weekend from Dell University:
- Pentium M Processor 745(1.80 GHz/400MHz FSB)
- 14.1-in XGA w/64MB Video
- 1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
- 60GB Hard Drive

It hasn't got to me yet, which is why I am sitting in the residents' room allowing myself to distractedly work on a presentation.

AndyMilonakis said:
with the pager clipped to my left earlobe. The pager never ended up going off so that was good...but now my left ear looks all deformed.

I bet you looked like a pirate.

deschutes said:
I ended up ordering an Inspiron 600M online last weekend from Dell University:

Woohoo!! That looks like a really nice system.

I am having a great time with mine, though am frustrated with trying to get wireless set-up. At least I can still use dial-up. But all of linksys' help stuff is on-line - there was no paper manual included with my wireless adapter. How is one supposed to get on-line help if they can't get online??

beary said:
How is one supposed to get on-line help if they can't get online??
:laugh: :laugh: The eternal question...

I haven't figured out if I need to plug a USB network adaptor into my system to get it online, or whether having Centrino technology bypasses that step. Oh well. All in good time, I guess.

Andy:
Stretched%20Earlobe.jpg

deschutes said:
I knew you'd appreciate it :D

It's actually a rubberized attachment. Pulled it off a costume shop page.
Interesting. For a while I was thinking he was trying a new innovative way of losing his only remaining ear.

My new computer will not turn off. I keep turning it off and it just turns right back on. :confused: