Anes spots after Match & Scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jefe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't get a residency spot after the Match or Scramble (or decide not to Scramble for an anesthesia spot because the ones left are not places that you think would be good for your training for whatever reason) and you get just a prelim medicine; what are your chances of getting into an anesth residency after you finish prelim med year? I'm asking because it seem like if the programs are interviewing for both Categorial and Advanced positions then they would fill and that one would have to wait 2 years..ie do 2 year of prelim med or surgery before getting into anesthesia. That's rough 2 years out of your medical training!! At first I thought that if I didn't match in anesth this year that I'd do a prelim year and then apply for an Advance position next year through the Match, thinking that I would be able to slide right into anesth residency if I matched in Advanced. But seems like that wouldn't work because if they fill both their Categorical & Advanced spots for each Match season then there would be no open positions for the CA1 year. Any input how often it happens that people can jump into an anesth program s/p prelim year if they didn't match into it?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of several people who pulled good spots this way. Start now...

I actually never even applied to anesthesia until I started my internship. Once I saw the light, I began calling and emailing all the programs in the NE to find out which ones had open positions. I was very scared at first, but to my surprise, a lot of programs actually have more spots than they list in the match (usually 1 or 2). My PD told me that many programs do this because they tend to find highly qualified people from other specialties who are looking to switch. All you have to do is start contacting all the programs you'd be interested in and send your application (or their version of the applicaiton since you would be applying outside the match). I got lucky this year because I figured out what I wanted to do early, applied early, and was offered a position. I think most places offer the positions on a rolling basis, so the earlier you start the process after the match (if you don't match), the better.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line get on the phone early and often. Offers are out there but you just have to be vigilant.

There are a few peeps in my program who are looking to match after this intern year. One has secured a spot here and the others are interviewing elsewhere. You just have to call around.

cak said:
I actually never even applied to anesthesia until I started my internship. Once I saw the light, I began calling and emailing all the programs in the NE to find out which ones had open positions. I was very scared at first, but to my surprise, a lot of programs actually have more spots than they list in the match (usually 1 or 2). My PD told me that many programs do this because they tend to find highly qualified people from other specialties who are looking to switch. All you have to do is start contacting all the programs you'd be interested in and send your application (or their version of the applicaiton since you would be applying outside the match). I got lucky this year because I figured out what I wanted to do early, applied early, and was offered a position. I think most places offer the positions on a rolling basis, so the earlier you start the process after the match (if you don't match), the better.Hope this helps. Good luck.

I too found a position outside of the match . Contacting programs early is key to securing a position. Also, if fail to match , try to get a prelim year at an institution that has a gas program.

CambieMD