Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anesth. rankings??

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by navs, Jan 12, 2002.

1. navs

navs Member

Hi,

I know we have already discussed this a bit, but I am really getting curious about what the rankings of diff. anesth. programs are.

From everyone I know it seems the top programs are: 1. UCSF, 2. Johns Hopkins, 3. Mass. General, 4. Brigham and Womens

Does everyone agree on these?? And if so, what would u guys start ranking after these 4?? Stanford, Duke, etc??

Just trying to get some insight from people who have also interviewed and know anesth. people as well.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member

Why do you anethesia people give such a crap about rankings? Are you such gunners or that insecure? Gimme a break. Jeez. :rolleyes:

4. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member

5. navs

navs Member

Thanks Klebsiella,

I understand Pags annoyance at understanding top programs, but what u mentioned is exactly the reason I brought this up again.

Even when we come out I'm sure u can find a job, and an avg. job in anesth. is still better then most other fields.

BUT to get a good one seems that there is a stress on coming out of a top program, especially if CRNAs start taking more control in the future!!

Good luck to u also.

U mind telling me what u think of other "top programs"?? Like Brigham or UCSF??

Thanks.

6. rad

rad Member

Hey I recently saw a salary survey:

top 20 (us news) anesthesia program grads average: 332,286
    Everyone else: 256,434

Also it mentioned that only top twenty grads had positions with the top private and academic groups in all the major cities. everyone else had to settle for va and county hospitals.....

and then I woke up and realized how unbelievably ridiculous all these discussions are

7. joethestuff

joethestuff Member

Hi rad,

Do you remember the date of the US News article you're referring to. I'd love to read it.

My two cents: Vanderbilt really seems to be an up-and-coming sleeper. Could not have been more impressed with the program and the new Chair of the Anest. is a rising star from Hopkins who has big plans to raise the already high national profile of the Dept. and Residency program.

Rarely mentioned on Scutwork, but Vandy has an excellent reputation...

8. joethestuff

joethestuff Member

Oops, just realized when I re-read my post, your comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, Vandy is Top-15 and climbing!

9. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

10. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member

11. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member

12. Sandpaper

Sandpaper Member

Attending Physician
    Damn, I was gonna keep mum, but after seeing the same damn posting over and over from the same clueless people....couldn't help myself. Now listen here, there is no list you chump. And who gives a rip about ranking? Different programs offer different things to different people. Let us consider your laughable "top programs" (UCSF, Hopkins, and MGH)....the common thread amongst these three is that your ass is grass there rookie.

On the interviewing circuit, good programs often mentioned are Duke, Northwestern, Mayo, UVA, Wake Forest, Florida, Michigan, The Brighams, Stanford, Mount Sinai. Nobody talks about Hopkins or MGH when it comes to anesthesia. For people currently interviewing, good programs are those that treat their residents well, have great ancillary staff, great facilities, great teaching, not too much research, and a desirable location. End. Period. Hopkins, MGH, UCSF are miserable places to be....so miserable, none of us applied to those programs. Btw, Penn is weak. Too much research, not enough real-world clinical application. Plus, they think their **** don't stink. Hate places like that.

So there, cut the crap with the ranking. Green-horn.

13. godfather

godfather Member

i'm winding down the interview trail and having interviewed at some very selective places and at some not very selective places here is my impression. Generally speaking the bigger the name of the program the harder the residents work. i kid you not, all of the ivy league guys were working 70-90 hours a week vs 50-70 for places like mco, west penn, henry ford. furthermore it seems like no matter what field your in people automatically say the same handful of(mgh,penn,brigham's,...) programs are at the top. To me this is the biggest proof that rankings are total bull**** and are almost totally based on reputation rather than on any objectivity whatsoever. For the most part i'm willing to bet that if you put the same attendings from joe schmoe hospital at mgh, mgh will still be considered high in the rankings and joe schmoe at the bottom. As far as how certain choice jobs are only going to people from a certain training program, i find that very hard to believe with the current shortage of anaesthesiologists. practices and hospitals are so understaffed right now that they'll take you with open arms regardless if you swimminging in from the banana republic or whether your the head honcho at hopkins. in general from what i've observed name programs tend to help if you want an academic position(which in these days nobody wants in anaesthesia anyways since private practice is so much more lucrative) otherwise it really doesn't matter where you train at. having said all of this the larger name programs will usually offer more research opportunities and lastly it does help in stroking those ever so large egos that seem to permeate more in medical students than in other category of living beings.

14. Goofy

Goofy Senior Member

15. Jubal

Jubal Member

First: Johns Hopkins for Anesthesia? Maybe just for REPUTATION.

Second: Certainly some top-research oriented programs would "suck" for the majority of applicants who seek a pretentious place to train that can secure a cozy, highest possible pay(nothing wrong with that), gas-pasing job. However, there's otehr people who are going into Anesthesia not because of the excellent market and cozy life style. Ther are some (few I suppose) that are still interested in the vast research opportunities one has in Anesthesia, as well as being part of an academic, educational system. Sure not all of us can be researches, teachers, nobel prize winners, or simply-stated whatever makes one HAPPY, giving a meaning to our professional life-apart of making money. If making 345k over 257k is important to you, you should have gone to Wall street. Personally, I do not believe that "passing gas" in a private practice for 20 years from now on, even with an ideal family environment is intellectually stimulating enough for me. But someone has to do this...have a NICE "gas-passing" career. (NICE-another word I "like" so much...; ).

Third: Forgive me for my quasi-elitistic rambling.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member

18. godfather

godfather Member

i just interviewed there about 1 month ago. the residents themselves said they work about 75 to 85 hours per week. usually get in at 6am to set up room and out around 6pm(give or take 1 hour depending on number of perop checks for next day). Thus even if you work mon thru friday and lets say you take friday call your still working 12 x 4(mon - thur) + 24(hours for friday)= 72hrs/wk. thats if you take only 1 call per week. i can't recall, but i think for ca1 the call scedule was like q5 and if that's the case then their easily working around 80 hours per week.